10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and the Texas Bowl

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-thoughts-on-oklahoma-state-texas-am-and-the-texas-bowl/

A look back at the season finale and a look ahead to some big NFL decisions.

Missing in your 10 thoughts is how badly the two missed field goals hurt in a 3 point loss. Our special teams were again ā€œspecialā€ and not in a good way.

Thanks for the 10 thoughts after each game. Always enjoy reading them.

2 Likes

Two missed FGs and a key moment of not calling a timeout killed us.

Sanders is way too greedy when it comes to a RPO.

But when we ran the slant we scored! Iā€™ve been saying it all year, itā€™s the one thing weā€™ve gotten away from since Blackmon left. The slant pulls out the LBs and brings up the safeties. Unfortunately, we seem to think the lob fade is the best play in our playbook.

2 Likes

Even if Chuba and Tylan return, this team is not competing for a conference title. This team canā€™t overcome bad coaching.

I think Tylan comes back next year. After tearing his ACL I think his draft stock will plummet so heā€™ll come back to prove heā€™s healthy I think that would be smart. As for Chuba I donā€™t really know why he would comeback heā€™s done about all he can do here but in the same breath I donā€™t know why he would risk playing the bowl game if he wasnā€™t thinking about coming back.

Iā€™ve come to a conclusion. If you always do what youā€™ve always done, youā€™ll continued to get what youā€™ve always got. Gundy has been the coach at OSU for 15 years, and during that time theyā€™ve averaged 8.5 wins a season. Gundyā€™s not going to become a better coach all of a sudden. Youā€™ve gotten what youā€™re going to get out of him. A slightly above average coach and a slightly above average football team. And apparently thatā€™s good enough. Itā€™s been good enough for 15 years.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure where the innovative play caller we were ā€œpromisedā€ isā€¦ maybe he forgot to move from New Jersey to Stillwater but it seemed like if a play worked that he wouldnā€™t go back to it. We have speed at the receiver position but throw more PA slants!!! If Chubba is in the backfield he is going to get more attention than any wide out (especially when 2 is missing). This is something we did so well in years past but the last 2 OCs havenā€™t used this weaponā€¦ I mean name a team that hasnā€™t lulled is to sleep with 4-5 yard passes then killed us deep or ran the ball for a chunk play??? I mean it doesnā€™t seem that difficult right?

When you say ā€œbest big 3 in the conferenceā€ do you mean Chuba, Tylan, and Sanders? I agree on Chuba and Tylan but Sanders isnā€™t a top QB in any league at this point. I hope he gets there.

But thereā€™s not a better combo. If you have the No. 1 WR, No. 1 RB and No. 4 (?) QB, your average is No. 2. Nobody else is averaging the No. 2 player at those positions with their trio.

Iā€™ll give you the benefit of the doubt on him becoming the number 4 QB.

For me personallyā€¦the 1st time EVER I feel indifferent about 2020 & FB Program. I dont know exactly why? The optimizim is not thereā€¦when I try to pinpoint whyā€¦I keep coming back to Gundy ā€¦I just do not see him making the necessary moves in order to get betterā€¦took him 10 seasons and huge Fan criticism before he started playing OU aggressivelyā€¦now he shows zero creativity in game plans ā€¦he has become so predictable ā€¦ I am about as blaise about 2020 as a person can get ā€¦:sleeping::rofl:ā€¦
When everyone in the stadium knew SS was going to run it when he came in ā€¦sure enough thatā€™s what Gundy did ā€¦

1 Like

They came out hot, had the TO game working, got ahead by two scores, and floundered until they were gassed and couldnā€™t execute what they wanted on the lines. Not good, but we donā€™t have the same ā€˜oneā€™ talent or the depth without kicking them in the mouth and being effectively adaptable. A backup QB and missing WR1 doesnā€™t allow much room for mistakes.

Iā€™m not defending Gundy but your views are slanted. If you remove the first season, which is fair, he is winning 9 games a season. He also is coaching for OSU, not a destination spot for recruits, and has taken little known players (not major recruits) and has that 9 game record. Say what you want but youā€™ll find few coaches that can take non-recruited players (ie Blake Jarwin from Tuttle OK) and put them into the NFL.