10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 21-20 Victory against Boise State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-21-20-victory-against-boise-state/

Observations from a wacky game on the Smurf Turf.

Glad I was wrong and we won the game getting to 3-0. However, playing like this isn’t going to cut it come conference play. If you can’t pass, then teams will just load up the box and sell out to stop the run. D is going to wear down as the season progresses due to being on the field all the time because the O can’t sustain drives. This is a 6-6 team at best right now.

4 Likes

This game was considered “fun”?
My experience watching it would be more like embarrassing.
You better start trusting your inexperienced receivers because that is all you have left. I would rather see dropped passes than Sanders running on third and long, or third and anything, for that matter.
I now think winning 6 games might take a miracle mainly because of injuries and also poor game plans and poor play calling. But I loved Gundy’s comments on his reaction to the end of the first half when he looked at the scoreboard. He captured the moment perfectly.

5 Likes

Why? Jim Traber has been beating his drum that this is the second best QB we’re going to play all year. A night, road game to Boise is probably tougher than half our Big 12 schedule. The league looks weird right now. The teams you expect to be at the bottom seem to be outperforming expectation. The teams you’d expect at the top are underperforming. Nothing is going to be easy, but this is a good win.

5 Likes

It’s a REAL good win. The stadium was roaring the whole night! BSU thought they had this game the ENTIRE night. Confidence was not an issue. To get out with a W is great!

4 Likes

I’m tired of the excuses for why we are not throwing more. I know we’ve had injuries, but we still have options. We just play scared.

Presley is still on the team, right? Why not be creative and consider putting LD Brown in the slot. It certainly looks like Cabbiness can make a catch or two. Maybe use our Cowboy Backs for a pass or two and open things up. For goodness sake they received a scholarship so they must have some ability.

#FreeTheCowboyBack

5 Likes

Problem with conference games is the teams in conference knows more about you then teams out of conference. What the heck is in the Stillwater water that has all these players hurt? Our we not conditioning these kid’s enough during spring and summer? Are they playing safe with them and not letting them hit and play full speed? As soon as the first game came and they went full speed they started dropping like flies.

2 Likes

I think the best we do is 6th in this league. Remember to post this at the end of the season when I’m right.

1 Like

Going to be a long season

Presley has repeatedly dropped good throws. LD had a drop.

2 Likes

I understand there were a few drops. I don’t think we can let a few drops cause us to almost entirely abandon the pass. And our Cowboy Backs had no drops - they were not thrown to once. The production that Jelani Woods is putting up at Virginia is evidence of how we vastly underutilize the position. A goal of the offense should be to keep the defense guessing, but we’re not anywhere close to doing that.

3 Likes

I complained consistently about Jelani and cowboy backs being ignored for a long time. Logan Carter is out with injury. With regard to WRs, our reliable receivers and playmakers are out. The “few” drops are a big deal. It’s a few drops out of a few attempts. Last week there were a couple of drops that likely would have been Tds. Drops today that were inexcusable. It’s a real problem - especially when you throw in the mix that our QB is often inaccurate and likes to throw to the bad guys.

Yes our play calling sucks. No question. I’ve said that for quite some time. However, you can’t open up and have a spread offense without a good and healthy receiving corps and a QB that is smart enough and talented enough to make the right throws accurately at the right target. We have neither.

1 Like

We don’t have the receivers to throw that fade you know, I mean that one pass play we have so…
Listen if we had all our receivers and everybody healthy on offense your telling me we would be throwing to our tight ends and we would be making defenses guess on what we were doing? You think we would be throwing more passes then just a fade? If you think that then you are so ■■■■ wrong. It’s the scheme and it is not fun or exciting to watch anymore. This scheme will do its self in just have to sit back and take it for awhile.

And gundy still sucks!!! But our kids are better then he is as a coach so he should go thank all those kids on defense and knowels for real.

1 Like

Well presley keeps dropping pass and ld is hurt.

“When we went in at halftime, I had to look at the scoreboard — I thought we were behind by 20,” Gundy said. “I just felt like we were behind by 20. I really didn’t think we did anything other than one long run.

Maybe it felt like that because the offense is inept. Good thing you weren’t down by 1 because you didn’t score again there Mike.

1 Like

The defense wouldn’t have been out there so much in the first half if the wouldn’t give up 3rd and 10.
The second half was the offense on the field for big amount of time. That help the de in 2 ways, rest and took boise out of their rhythm.

2 Likes

That Boise QB was pretty good. I beat our defense was dead tired after that game. I thought they were going to be gassed the second half.

3 Likes

I find this interesting, I get it there are those who want Gundy gone and I understand your perspective. BUT when we can’t run its Gundy’s fault, when we have a good running game (after getting an injured OL back…), it Gundy’s fault that we can’t pass (even though the best receivers are injured). Play calling is too predictable but then they throw the ball on third down late in the game when running again takes time off the clock (I was yelling why are you passing?!?), no credit for that. Perhaps it was just one play so not enough but lets look at this holistically and see the entire picture. Factoring in all the injuries, this was a big step forward.

5 Likes

Some of our fans have little brother syndrome. The believe if we are ou’s little brother we should win all games by half as much as ou.