2020 Final Commits and Comps/Projections

So over the next couple days I’m going to post the players that are on the 2020 commitment list and also a brief opinion on what I see just on the surface of their films. I will also throw a comp in at the end of each breakdown of someone who started in a similar position when they were a recruit. I hope you all enjoy and feel free to chime in or ask questions about certain guys. Thanks!

9 Likes

Shane Illingworth 6’6” 230lbs 4.92 Norco, CA

Shane posses elite size for a QB (obviously). He has above average touch on his short and intermediate throws that some bigger QBs struggle with early on. He is athletic enough to keep plays alive with his feet, but like most talented young QBs he often lets his strong arm bail him out of poor situations. This works in high school, but anticipation is probably the biggest area of improvement that he will have moving to the next level. :star::star::star::star:

Notable offers: Louisville, Arizona, Arizona St, Arkansas, Boston College, Colorado

My Comp- Josh Allen (Wyoming)

Trent Pullen OG-6’2” 275lbs Waco, TX

I think Trent could end up being a 2 or 3 time all conference lineman. Although he is somewhat “smaller” than other lineman in the class, he has a very good base. His explosion and lower body go hand in hand. All his power is below the waist right now. One thing he uses to his advantage is his short area quickness. He’s almost like a spring loaded battering ram in the sense that he often explodes through poor defenders that try and take him head on. He also has short quick steps once he locks on which help him drive defenders off the ball. :star::star::star:

Notable offers: Ark, Baylor, Colorado, BC, KState, LSU, TX A&M

Isaiah Wynn (UGA)

Korie Black DB- 6’1” 165 lbs- 4.66

I really enjoy what Korie brings to the table. Several times when he was in coverage, it looks as if the receiver is running with a mirror. He has very good hips and changes direction well. He will need to add weight, but he isn’t scared of contact. If he can get in the Glass factory and maintain his quickness he will be a very good player. :star::star::star:

Notable offers: Baylor, Arkansas, Boise State, K State, Minn, Texas Tech, Perdue.
Comp-Michael Jackson (Miami FL)

Matt Polk WR 6’4” 210

Every time I go and watch film on this kid, I’m more astounded that he’s A)ranked so low, and B) Wasn’t as sought after as his talent warrants. He’s not a “burner” per se, but his body control paired with his already impressive frame is really, really exciting.

:star::star::star:

Notable offers: Cal, Arizona, Arizona state, Florida, Cal, Kansas, ISU, UCLA.

Comp- Chris Lacy (Ok St)

Eli Russ OG- 6’5” 305lbs

This guy is pretty simple. Mauler. To break it down in “okie” terms. He’s country strong. Everything about him just screams power. From his hands, to his massive frame, to his trunks for legs. He is a little raw with his kick step, but honestly if he moves inside (I’m fairly certain he will) I think he has a chance to fill Keys vacated spot (possibly rotating will Sills). Like, 6 months from now. You can’t teach the size he has. I believe that even if he doesn’t end up playing as soon as I hope, he will be a unstoppable force when he does see the field, or maybe an immovable object (I haven’t decided which). :star::star::star:

Notable offers: Texas Tech, Tulsa, N Texas

Comp- Dalton Risner (KSU)

Quinton Stewart CWB 6’4” 230lbs - 4.69

Ok maybe this is wishful thinking, but I couldn’t help but watch the way Q strides out when he’s running and grabbing passes off the top shelf away from DBs and not think Jarwin. He has such soft hands when catching the ball and his running looks effortless. I really think he may be my dark horse to end up being the biggest contributor (outside of Shane) from this class. :star::star::star:

Notable offers: N Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa

Comp- Blake Jarwin

14 Likes

I’m excited about Pullen and Russ. We’re finally getting the trenches back in order.

1 Like

Are those your stars or 247? I would love to hear who you think is worthy of a four star. Sounds like Illingsworth, Polk, Pullen and Russ at least.

2 Likes

Those are 247 rankings. I considered doing my own, but I didnt want to get people fired up or sound like a homer. But you’re right. If I had them ranked those 4 would be 4 stars at least.

4 Likes

Next 5 players coming soon.

Cade Bennett OG 6’5” 295 :star::star::star:

Cade is a very impressive interior lineman. He is technically sound but has a very strong punch that allows him to create momentum at the point of attack. Cade dominated several highly touted defensive lineman on the camp circuit, which caught the eye of several west coast programs. He is a physically imposing young man that very much looks the part of a P5 lineman. Cade is similar to Russ in the fact that he is sort of a throwback that relies on power and a bit of “nasty” that Coach Dickey loves to work with. He has the frame to add a lot of muscle and looks like he has some growing to do still. Like the other offensive lineman, I expect him to eventually become a big contributor in the trenches.

Comp- Cody Whitehair (KSU)

Jordan Reagan DB 6’2” 180 :star::star::star:

Jordan is interesting. He’s actually pretty filled out on his frame and carries his body well. I could see him playing either CB or S in college. He usually matched up with the opposing teams best WR but seemed to enjoy playing the run and making a hit. His footwork did seem to falter at times, but he knows how to use his size and athleticism to make up for it. I don’t know that he will ever be a quick twitch speed guy, but will be an asset covering bigger receivers. Which is always helpful in the B12.

He runs a 400M time of 48.94 which does imply that his top end speed can be something to look forward to.

Comp- Kris Boyd (Texas)

Jeff Roberson OLB 6’2” 220 :star::star::star:

I will admit. I’m a huge fan of Jeff. His athleticism and the smoothness that he moves laterally with is a very encouraging sign moving forward. His brother is a big guy and he has the frame to probably bulk up to around 235 lbs. I could def see him in the Bundage role coming off the edge and matching up with TEs in coverage. For me it’s tough to set my expectations because I’ve seen first hand how instinctive and cerebral he can be. He also has good athleticism for the LB position. He won’t take your head off when he hits you, but he is a very efficient and reliable tackler.

Comp- Breckyn Hager (Texas)

Brennan Presley 5’8” (WR/RB) 160 :star::star::star:

Oh boy. Here we go. I don’t know if there is a bigger fan of Brennan than me. This kid is ELECTRIC! Every time he touches the ball i figured he would score. If you’re a fast defender he can break you with his routes, if your technically sound he can beat you with his agility. He is the epitome of talent over size. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller I truly believe he would have been a top 300 recruit. Ive yet to talk to anyone inside the program who isn’t ecstatic about this kid. He can return, can line up at WR, take the ball out of the backfield, he can even play defense if needed (which some people think he is best at). He made SC Top 10 with some of his plays in 7 on 7. This kid was the POY in Oklahoma and for good reason. Mike Gundy saw him in person as he ran up and down the field against a very good Stillwater team while helping his team to a State title. He also was the reason Bixby thumped Jenks by 50 which I believe had never been done. People game planned to stop this kid and still couldn’t. OSU fans should look for him to bring back the excitement they once had about the return game. Whew… Ok. I’ll take a breath now.

Comp- Tyler Lockett (KSU)/Josh Stewart (OK St)

Jabbar Muhammad CB 5’10” 165 :star::star::star:

Jabbar is a really curious guy in regards to ranking. He runs a 4.7 forty and has a 30 inch vertical. He’s not especially big, but he plays a lot bigger. His length is a major contributor for him and he did very, very well in camps this last summer. Winning several MVPs and giving top Texas WRs fits. He’s one that I believe didn’t get the respect he deserved because of his long standing commitment to a non blue blood.

Comp- Brodrick Brown (Ok St)

13 Likes

If you guys have any other things Y’all want included in these evaluations lmk.

These look great! It’d be really interesting to see where you project them as NFL-level players (if at all) and comps there, as a follow-up.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea. I might start working on that when I finish this.

@dustinragusa24 and @marshall I’d love to hear your take on some of my evaluations and comps as you’ve forgotten more about this stuff than I’ll ever know. If you don’t mind.

It’s good stuff! Keep them coming. I’m doing film studies on the class, I’ve gotten through four already, and I think we feel pretty similarly about those guys.

The comps are fun. I haven’t done those for any of the incoming guys, but I like the ones you used.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look in more detail and can give some specific thoughts too.

Thanks man! I welcome and look forward to any feedback you have.

2 Likes

Would be cool to have some insight/a projection of what their college career could look like, if they reach their potential.

4 year starter
2 year starter
Solid backup/rotation player
Likely redshirt

Categories like that maybe?

Appreciate your summaries, thanks!

1 Like

Cole Thompson ILB 6’2” 210lbs :star::star::star:

Cole was honestly one of the more interesting guys to evaluate in my opinion. He’s built like a more traditional ILB and he plays that way except he had a pretty good amount of success rushing the passer up the middle. He utilizes a very good rip move and upper body strength to blow up interior offensive lineman on his way to backfield. He will have to improve his form tackling on ball carriers since he used a lot of upper body strength to impose his will on smaller, weaker ball carriers. He does however (as most D1 linebackers do in high school) posses very good instincts and plays downhill when defending against the run. Although his form needs to improve on his tackling form, he does excel at running through the ballcarrier (which isn’t a given).

Comp- Joel Lanning (ISU)

Mason Cobb ILB 6’1” 220lbs :star::star::star:

I honestly was very surprised that Mason didn’t receive more interest until Jabbar Triplett (LB out of Louisiana that ended up at Arizona). He ended up with DPOY honors in Utah. Cobb is a VERY big hitter. That is evident as soon as you turn on his tape. What was surprising tho is how well he read the QB on underneath throws. He had some rather impressive plays on his highlight film while playing the pass. He seems to be everything coach Knowles loves in a LB. I can’t wait to see if he grows into what his genetics might suggest (His father is a big dude). If he grows a couple inches and adds a little more muscle (although he already looks like a baby hulk) he could be a seriously imposing individual even at the P5 level.

Comp- Eddie Lackey (Baylor)

Grant Mahon IDL 6’4” 275lbs :star::star::star:

Grant had a great end to his high school career that seemed to possibly be ending prematurely with a frightening neck injury as a JR. Missing that year, paired with camp absences heading into his Senior year resulted in a drop in ranking. Grant did bounce back well tho once he was on the field his SR year. He led Denton Guyer to a state semifinal birth in 6A-II division in Texas. He does a great job using his hands to get off blocks and utilizes his athleticism very well for his size to overpower smaller blockers while still maintaining the speed to finesse around bigger offensive lineman and double teams. Grant committed to OSU as a sophomore where he was ranked inside the top 1000 prospects until his injury. He could end up being a surprisingly productive and impactful pickup after a redshirt year.

Comp-James Lynch (Baylor)

Rashod Owens WR 6’1” 185lbs :star::star::star:

Owens is a very exciting prospect for several reasons. He played RB and WR in high school out of necessity so he never got to fully commit himself to honing his WR skills. It does show how well he can do with the ball in his hands however. One of those weird stats that can sometimes show the athleticism of a player is one that he shares with current Cowboy WR great Tylan Wallace. They both are very, very accomplished in the triple jump. Obviously this doesn’t guarantee his success but I think it could be a window into what we could see from him explosiveness wise. He does move very well with the ball in his hands and tracked the catches I was able to see very well.

Comp- Brandon Shepard (Ok St)

6 Likes

I really appreciate you taking the time to give us a little more insight about these guys. I know it is time consuming, but definitely appreciated!

3 Likes

I will try and expound on things with this is finished. Thank you for the feedback

I’m very excited about having a legit returner on the team. Seems we haven’t had one in forever. If Presley can be that guy, then that will be a major contribution regardless of whatever else he does.

2 Likes

Agreed. That’s why both the comps I made were versatile returners.