2024 Football Season - Playoffs or Bust

I really think our biggest off-season addition could be a new OL coach.
If Bowman comes back then the majority of our offense is back and hopefully better.
I’d like to think year 2 will bring improvement to the D.
I don’t feel like there is any runaway favorite like Texas this year so 9-3 could still get you to CCG.:person_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I’m really curious whether Gundy will feel like the last 11 games of 2023 validated his treatment of the first 3 games as preseason. I don’t think he’s crazy enough to do the QB thing again, but basically just rotating a lot of guys, resting Ollie, and not showing much.

On one hand, 0-3 would be a distinct possibility in the noncon if we play like we did this year. On the other hand, if we win the Big XII we’re in the playoff anyway.

1 Like

We’re also better next year.

We should be. Got really lucky to go 10-4 this year.

6 Likes

Has anyone heard about Dickey yet? This was the last year of his contract, and doesnt he follow the timeline of Gundy where things get renewed on the new year?

3 Likes

I kind of agree but Gundy is very good at winning close games. I think luck starts to get involved when you string a bunch of close games together. Hopefully we can win some more comfortably next year.

1 Like

Factors pointing toward 2024 being better than 2023:

1. Return the vast majority of our most important players (at least that’s the way it looks right now). That’s a HUGE deal in CFB.

2. I expect Nardo will have ironed out a lot of the issues in Year 2. This point works in synergy with the previous one.

Factors pointing toward 2024 being worse than 2023:

1. 2023 wasn’t as good as it appeared.

2. 2024 OSU will almost certainly have more injury problems than 2023 OSU had. This year’s team was about as healthy as a college football team could possibly be expected to be. Yes, I know the WR situation was rough at times, but still, I doubt you could find a single team who was less impacted by injury than OSU was in 2023.

I was tempted to put the schedule on the second list, but I don’t really know. It looks like the sked will be a little tougher, but… prior to this season we thought we were lucky to dodge TCU and Tech and that WVU and ISU were easy. Every team in the new Big XII is a few key injuries and close losses away from a really bad season, and also a couple surprise impact players and close wins away from a really good season. I think it’s probably wise not to make too many assumptions about what Baylor or BYU or Tech will look like :person_shrugging: (SDSU, tho. Scary!)

Overall, I’m pretty optimistic. I’m really confident we’ll be a better team than this year, but I guess I won’t be too surprised if we finish with a worse record despite that.

2 Likes

I just noticed that fanduel has national title prices for next year. Here are the big XII teams:

Utah 100/1
Arizona 120/1
K-State 120/1
Texas Tech 170/1
Kansas 200/1
OSU 250/1
Colorado 270/1
TCU 300/1
UCF 400/1
Iowa St 450/1

The max wager is very low ($100), so these are kind of just for fun. They will change quite a bit between now and July and obviously even more between now and opening day. Still, interesting to see a first look at what people think.

We need Nardo to take a big step up next year

A&Ms third or fourth? QB threw for 360 on us with like 2 scholarship receivers

#notgreat

1 Like

He was also a freshmen and the #2 player in Texas last year so let’s not discredit the kid because they were saving him for the future. (Also makes me feel better about it)

5 Likes

I never said he was a bad player, just that our defensive coordinator did not inspire much confidence

I think he still gets a pass. No black. Lots of young DB’s and a DL that really couldn’t generate any pressure. They’ll be a lot better next year for sure

1 Like

:grimacing:

also the guy you are talking about was not from Texas

he is from Tennessee

Ahhhh that’s right. One of those T states

Korie black that is

over the holidays they had all the Texas HS State championship games on, from single A 6 man football all the way up

anyways in 2A there was this kid Bussey who has a stud, played every snap, and he had A&M on his helmet, looks like he may play corner in College, played QB/CB/KR for this team

long way of saying it is crazy to me that the ~20th best player in the nation is playing in 2A

2 Likes

yeah the 5th best player in Tennessee and the 2nd best player in Texas is a pretty stark difference :skull:

Haha yep

lol :joy:

I think he meant we may not have Korie next year. I think he will be a Cowboy. Doesn’t make sense to rehab an injury and try to play in the TaxAct Texas Bowl if he’s not staying. Maybe he just really wanted to finish things off the right way, but that’s pretty rare in today’s college football.