An OSU Recruiting Perspective from One Player’s Father

I’d rather call them “historically good programs”. “Blue bloods” seems to be, increasingly, a vitriolic term used by jealous people, and it annoys me.

Let’s try to be like them. Hate the game, but don’t hate the player, and all that nonsense.

2 Likes

Haha. I have sadly conceded at work that my college sports fandom is best described as “bitter and petty”… terms shared by a colleague fan of the University of Arizona.

1 Like

Oh yeah it definitely is right in the middle of all this. OU for example of those three factors they can recruit and they can coach, i dont think they develop very good. Nothing from his history suggest Ed Orgeron is a coaching guru so LSU and OU are at least even in that category (I think Riley is better). They both recruit top talent (teams filled with 4 and 5 stars). So we get to development, from the outside looking in i see that as falling all on Joe Brady at LSU coming in and changing Joe Burrow.

But does development really matter in those cases? If Joe Burrow, or Trevor Lawrence have a natural “knack” for the game, then there aren’t many holes to fill in other than watching some game tape and telling them to “not throw that pass” or “run in that instance”.

Joe Burrow went from very average or below average to heisman in one season with a better developer.

2 Likes

Look at my post below this of Burrow’s stats. He was a nobody last year.

1 Like

Wow, side note, he didn’t throw less than a completion rate of 71.1% all season.

Exactly that is an unheard of change, my jaw actually dropped when I looked at the numbers. Doubled yards, tripled TDs, 57% to 78% on completion with only 2 more INTs. It’s sickening.

1 Like

I would say the more clear argument here is that the system is generally arranged to make sure it’s a blue blood that wins the NC because it’s a feedback loop. Cracking the top 10 in recruiting classes is incredibly difficult if you aren’t a blue blood because of the way the rankings are done and getting into the playoffs is already difficult even when are a blue blood but when you aren’t it’s a order of magnitude more difficult due to the way the whole thing is selected. Clemson has managed to do it because Dabo is an amazing coach and did what Boyton has started to do in Basketball (cleanly recruiting above their expected weight class). Once you crack the playoffs and especially the MNC the whole thing becomes easier because your recruiting rankings are automatically higher (which in turn makes it harder for other programs to poach your recruits because “look at the class we are bringing in! Don’t you want play for a title?”) and you have a much easier path to the playoff. Essentially the hardest work is done getting in the first time and each time after that takes less and less effort (it’s still a monumental task but considerably easier once you prime the feedback loop).

4 Likes

2 Likes

blue blood

/ˈblo͞o ˌbləd/

noun

1. noble birth.

“blue blood is no guarantee of any particular merit, competence, or expertise”

• a person of noble birth.

plural noun: blue bloods ; plural noun: bluebloods

“a comforting figure among that crowd of blue bloods”

2 Likes

My exact thoughts

See: University of Texas at Austin, The

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

We’ve gone down the recruiting and blue blood rabbit holes. How about some thoughts on the dad’s comments regarding culture and Gundy’s involvement in recruiting? /steps back to a safe distance…

3 Likes

“historically good program”

noun

1. a team that has, over the course of several decades, built its program up through winning and maintaining good facilities, and is recognized as a perennial national championship contender

“Ohio State is a historically good program that has won multiple championships and attracts the best players in the country because of this reputation.”

2 Likes

I think it’s nice. That’s all. Pretty sure the person isn’t going to admonish Gundy, or OSU, for anything.

Gundy made this particular guy feel wanted. But if a guy gets an offer…isn’t that a sign that particular school wants you? They don’t just throw them out willy nilly.

Bama would like a word. :slight_smile:

Did I read somewhere where they just shotgun blast the entire country, then choose who to accept based on who accepts them?

1 Like

How some of y’all didn’t learn in 2011… And then again in 2014… That this entire system is rigged in favor of certain brands is fascinating.

Wisconsin is a perfect example. Great program. Can’t crack the top 10 in recruiting. Can’t play for a national title. Still a great program.

But there’s a reason Michigan gets way more hype than Wisconsin… Branding.

College football is a sport for brand name teams and the entire system is rigged in their favor.

4 Likes

But Michigan has actually backed up their “branding” in the past, that’s the thing.