Any golfers?

Any golfers out there in Tulsa/Stillwater area? If so, how good/bad are you, how often you play, etc.? Extremely curious what the average handicap of the PFB+ subscription base looks like!

In OKC… In High-school/college I was probably around a 10-15 handicap. Last few years I have only gone handful of times each year. Bought a house closer to a course last year and have been trying to make it a habit to at least hit the range once a week. Slowly getting more consistent, but still probably around a 20 right now. Played 9 after work yesterday and shot +8, so I think I’m on the right track. Tough game to be good at if you’re not playing!

I’m bad at golf

3 Likes

I guarantee I’m worse.

3 Likes

I’m about a 10 handicap although it’s not registered through USGA. Wanted to improve from about a 17 a couple summers ago and bought an Arccos subscription and it’s helped me immensely. Would recommend to anyone who’s serious about understanding your game in an attempt to improve.

I’m playing about a 10-11 hcp currently. Shot my first round in the 70s at twin hills last Wednesday.

I’ll actually be in Stillwater for Brandon Weeden’s Charity event at Karsten on the 23rd. If anyone else is playing in it gimme a shout!

I am also bad at golf as Marshall can attest to.

But significantly better than I

I’ve wanted to get into golf but don’t know where to start. Reluctant to spend money on clubs when I have zero experience.

I got mine off ebay. Still like $150, but not as high a barrier as going to most stores to get started.

Not in OK, but wanted to share I usually shoot about a 90. On the front nine. But can drink a LOT of beer on the golf course. And I can crush my 10 and 7 year old kids in Putt Putt. :muscle::beers:

1 Like

I always thought this way. Let me get consistent and then I will invest in my game. Last year I did a professional fitting and that has done as much for my game and my confidence as any amount of inconsistent practice I could string together.

Now my view is this: go get fit for clubs early and build on your game using clubs that at least have the right specs. You will be more consistent and as a result have more fun.

2 Likes

Once you get a comfortable swing down, it’s 90% mental from that point on. I was shooting high 80s low 90s for like 3 straight years until one of my buddies showed me a simple little 5 second trick on focusing on ball contact. That one little thing jumped me to shooting around 78-83 every round. Just feeling comfortable with your swing and focusing on what you’re attempting to do is enough to move you from the 90s to the low-to-mid-80s quickly. Also, harder swing ≠ further shot. People think that’s the case and it’s the furthest thing from it.

But the most important thing is nailing down short chips and putting. Say you putt 54 times per round on average. That’s 3 putts per hole. If you can just trim that down to 2.5 putts per hole, that’s 45 putts per round. You just improved your handicap 9 strokes by changing absolutely nothing about your game other than you putt one half less time per hole. Little things like that will lead to a 10-15 point improvement in your hdcp super fast.

Are you in the OKC area? I’ve got a standard set of clubs laying around I will never touch again. Happy to discuss if you are interested.

Shot an 87 in the heat yesterday at Surrey Hills so I think I’m on the right track. Driver is finally working for me. Course was in pretty rough shape, easily worse than any of the three OKC public courses I’ve played this year.

I’m here in Stilly. I play The Links and Lakeside when I can. Each probably 6 to 8 times per summer. I shoot in the 90’s on my own. Scrambled w/ my 11-year old last week, and we shot an 86. I think if I played more often, I could break 90 most of the time. But that’s not the case. Haha! I absolutely believe dropping from 54 to 45 putts would do wonders for anybody’s score/handicap.

Short game all around is most important. I hate the new trend of flopping it instead of the bump and run. Good lord, I sound old now.

I was a good golfer until my oldest was born. Now I’m just decent. I love the game so much but 3-5 hours is a lot of time.

Yeah, around the greens in general is the most important aspect of the game. About 50 yards and in. I used to watch a ton of YouTube videos and all of these “experts” were telling me how to best hit short chips, so I swung different on them than normal shots and I’d end up blading or fatting my chips all the time. It would add 7-8 strokes to my round every round. Some of the stupid advice I was referring to from my buddy was basically “why are you swinging it different? Just do your normal swing just like anything else. It’s all the same. Just don’t bring your backswing as far back.”

Sounds incredibly stupid simple. Like too simple to work. But sure enough, I did that and now my short shots around 50 yards and in is my best area in the game. A lot of my fixes have been stupid simple things like that. It feels like the harder you work the worse your scores are. Golf’s weird like that lol

+17 :grimacing:

1 Like

Might just be petty people griping but I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Surrey Hills. Was told not to waste my money on it. Is it in that bad of shape?