Cael Hughes Commits to Wrestle at Oklahoma State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/cael-hughes-commits-to-wrestle-at-oklahoma-state/

Stillwater junior and two-time state champion Cael Hughes has committed to wrestle for the Cowboys. I am excited to announce that I will be continuing my athletic and academic career at OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY!! I grew up in Cowboy Wrestling Club and Stillwater is my home. I guess you could say I’ve always been a COWBOY!! @MatScoutWillie @Seth_Duckworth @StwNewsPress pic.twitter.com/9qX7LERF8f— Jeremy Hughes (@coachjhughes) December 1, 2021 Cael Hughes ranks as the No, 18 prospect on Willie Saylor’s 2023 Junior Big Board and most project him to end up in the 141-149 pound range with a possibility of being a 133 pounder in the early part of his career. Hughes is a Fargo champion and multiple-time All-American. This is a big get for the Cowboys who already have a lot of young talent in the room, and signed a few solid guys in their 2022 recruiting class. His announcement comes on the heels of the Cowboys picking up a commitment from Bixby’s Jersey Robb a few weeks ago. This gives the Cowboys commitments from the top two Oklahoma prospects in the 2023 class based on Saylor’s rankings.

Good get for sure. But I think the Cowboys still need to expand their recruiting area to the east and midwest as in PA and Ohio more so than they already have, if feasable.

1 Like

I’m sure they try. It’s like going to Alabama and trying to get recruits. It happens but not alot.

1 Like

You are right, they have tried. Several years ago I knew someone from PA who was recruited by OSU and went down there for a visit. Joe Seay was the head coach at that time in the early 1990’s and the guy told me that he did not care for him. They ate lunch together and Seay did not have much to say. So the kid stayed in his home state and wrestled for tiny Bloomsburg. I don’t think this is a knock on the recruiting style of Joe Seay. This kid had a pretty severe mental illness going on and his perceptions of people might have been a bit off. The guys from PA that we have had on the team, to the best of my memory, have all become NCAA champions. Joey Wildasin from York County, PA, where I lived for 27 yrs till recently, might have been an exception. He told me that he was asked to go at a different weight at OSU and it never worked out for him. Too bad that happened because he was considered one of the greatest high school wrestlers in PA history and was expected to be national champ. But he took a bullet for the team and it killed his career. I will have to go back and reread about his OSU career.
Joey was a legend in Pennsylvania wrestling . He was undefeated in his career in Highschool and then went to Garden City where he was a two time national Juco champion at 126. He not only was undefeated his two years in Junior College he was never taken down."
I remember that Garden City juco for a long time was a feeder for OSU wrestlers. I guess if a kid did not meet the academic side of things for admission to OSU he went to Garden City before Stillwater.
Joey finished high school career with one loss. Senior year wreslted at 130 but because OSU had Nick Purler at 126, they had Joey go down to 118 where he was 17-4 in 1994 and got injured and that ended his college career. In high school state tournament he won while having a fracture in his back, injured foot and rotator cuff injury.

I’m just saying it’s tuff to go still recruits in big ten country. We have got some new jerseys kids. So I know they r in the area.
Just because we dnt get the kid doesn’t mean we did recruit.
Dnt be like Joey and say we go out of r way to not recruit 4 and 5 stars.

1 Like

He’s supposed to have a ton of upside isn’t he ? Guess if he gets to a weight that fits him
Can’t remember the kids name we got from Iowa that was all world and fizzled out. Transfers his second year

1 Like