Chuba Hubbard, CJ Moore Notes

A few (highly unsubstantiated!) notes I wanted to pass along. This is the great thing about the premium portion of this forum and PFB+ in general. I wouldn’t dream reporting any of this stuff, but people tell me things, and here are three things I’ve been told in the past few days.

1. Chuba staying? One source told me before he got his draft grade that a few people around the program felt confident about Chuba and Tylan coming back next year. Eyeballs.

2. Then I heard on Thursday after Chuba got his draft grade back that it was similar to Justice Hill’s grade, and that the recommendation was to return to school. Certainly doesn’t mean he will – and I haven’t confirmed that returning to school was actually what he was told – but any news about 30 coming back for another year is good news to me.

3. There’s been a little chatter around a CJ Moore transfer. This one didn’t surprise me much given that his WR coach is gone and he hasn’t really played in his first two years on campus. Again, not reporting that, but it was passed along to me this week. I wouldn’t really be surprised either way if he was in the portal this spring or on the roster next year.

11 Likes

The CJ Moore one, if true, pisses me off so much.

5 Likes

Why?? Very disappointing but why would it make you mad? He obviously wasn’t doing what it takes to get on the field. I sure hope he sticks around and dominates soon, but no one is to blame but himself at this point.

5 Likes

I’m so conflicted. Yes to the Chuba/Tylan speculation, no to the CJ chatter. We need to hire a good Dunn replacement within the next week in order to prevent bailing off the ship. If Tylan DOES come back this year, that means that he and Stoner will be gone after this next season and we will desperately need big-time targets for Sanders.

I don’t think he was targeted enough. It feels like, if you give the guy targets, it will get him to show up and maybe improve. Maybe not being targeted killed his confidence, I don’t know. :man_shrugging:t3:

All I’m saying, I remember at the beginning of the season how everyone was big on CJ Moore, and how he was going to be our next elite WR. And now…poof.

Don’t get too upset just yet. Just saying. Also, I’m not breaking any news BUT I heard a very similar statement to what Carson said about Chuba. That he felt that he can “definitely improve his stock”. But all credit goes to Carson for sure.

4 Likes

Moore was not on the field enough to even see targets because he was not doing the little things needed to be there (especially blocking). That is according to coach Dunn earlier in the year and it looks like it never changed.

1 Like

Let’s pump the breaks on Moore plz…

3 Likes

CJ Moore was a vastly overrated recruit. Most people around Tulsa knew this. Not to say he couldn’t develop into a good college player, but he was not the caliber of player he was touted to be coming out of HS.

I never once heard someone say this.

He had offers from Texas, Alabama, Auburn…

6 Likes

The kid is talented, but he was 6’5 and and about 155 lbs coming out of HS. He is up to 180 now, and is still thin as a rail. The kid was never going to be a huge contributor in year 1 or 2, he just had too much physical development to do. I’m guessing he may be frustrated with the lack of PT and maybe he isn’t putting in all the work necessary in the weight room to get bigger and stronger. I hope he sticks around and buys in fully over the next offseason to gain weight and strength.

3 Likes

But no OU… and Bama offers 100s of kids every year. Most people knew that it wasn’t a “real” offer and he would never end up there.

I’m not trying to outright bash the kid. He could still develop here or elsewhere. Just saying his actual talent level wasn’t inline with his recruiting ranking, especially right of high school. He was far, far behind when he came in as a freshman. That’s a fact. That’s not something you expect to see from your most touted recruit.

2 Likes

I trust the WR coach who decides who plays and who sits. He said he wasn’t putting in the effort needed to play in front of the guys that did play. I am guessing that this is part of the issues that Texas is having. They recruit 4/5 star guys that don’t put in the effort. They think they are entitled.

5 Likes

First of all. A guy with his build who puts on 30 LBs isn’t “not working”. Also calling him “entitled” is pretty presumptuous. And not accurate TBH. Everyone needs to settle down. It’s a “rumor” at best right now. No need to go speculating and condemning the kid after his RS freshman year behind upperclassmen and a Biletnikoff lvl guy. Let’s just wait and see.

17 Likes

Nailed it.

1 Like

Think about it, the kid has put on 25 pounds, and he is only half way there. Even at 200-210, he will still be thin. But the main thing is him being strong enough to block and fight off of jams at the line of scrimmage. Kid continues to need to eat, and then put the work in to get stronger in the weight room. I hope he realizes that he will need to do that to play at any decent FBS program. Hopefully he is just frustrated and maybe a new position coach, even if not as good as Dunn, will reinvigorate him to a degree.

2 Likes

Again. You keep acting like him transferring is true. Like I said, and Kyle pointed out when he said it. It’s not a report but more a rumor. He has a lot of growing to do. Just chill on the downgrading how far he’s come.

2 Likes

I’m a HUGEEEEEE CJ Moore guy. Would love nothing more than him win a biletnikoff at osu. Hope he stays and kills.

Y’all were surprised by tylan. I wasn’t. I saw the stars. CJ Moore has the raw skill to do the same

7 Likes

Speaking completely hypothetically if it’s true. I haven’t been running with the rumor.

@ me recruiting haters. Wallace was a stud from the start.

1 Like