Coffee, Java, Café, Joe

Thread to discuss Favorite coffee, coffee shops, favorite methods of brewing, etc.

I’ve always liked coffee but haven’t drank it religiously until I’ve cut out soda. I’m always looking for the best roasted coffee and I’m exploring new ways to brew a cup. I was looking at getting a French press but with the suggestion of a friend and a little research I’ve settled for the Aeropress coffee maker.

I’ve also been turned on to Invader Coffee and their Mexican Chocolate coffee. They have a whiskey and a rum coffee that I’ll be trying out soon.

I’m curious as to what others like.

1 Like

Topeca

/thread

2 Likes

I hate Starbucks, have no idea why it’s so popular.

Agree with Topeca. There’s a local guy in Tulsa that roasts some good coffee at Nordaggios. Another local guy in Eureka Springs roasts most of the coffee they serve in town like at Mud Street. Trader Joe’s has some decent beans.

Not a fan of Keurigs but the Green Mountain cups are the best I have tried.

2 Likes

I live in OKC and my fav couple here are Leaf & Bean (deep deuce), Evoke (Edmond), and Elemental (midtown).

And as far as roasters go, Elemental’s beans are really good. Kllr is also another great roaster here in town.

Onyx in NW Arkansas is probably my favorite roaster in the country though. Everything they touch is just gold!

5 Likes

Love it! I have an Aeropress at my office, but I use a Chemex at home every morning. I like the clean flavor of it more than most other brewing methods.

For beans, I agree that Topeca rocks. If you’re in OK, Whole Foods typically has the best selection of local/semi-local stuff. I have a subscription with Onyx in Fayetteville also, but Whole Foods has Elemental (OKC), Topeca (Tulsa), Cirque (Tulsa), Onyx (Fayetteville), Eote (OKC). Around OKC I also like Killr, Middlestate, and Gambit.

3 Likes

Onyx is fantastic! I discovered it right before I lost NWA as part of my territory.

1 Like

I’m located in Central Arkansas but I can probably convince friends or family to pick me up some of these beans and send them to me. Little Rock just got a Trader Joe’s so I haven’t got to explore what they have yet.

Not a fan of their main brew, Pikes Place. Too bitter. Their dark and blonde blends are alright.

Doesn’t Little Rock have Whole Foods too? Worth checking out both! I think Trader Joe’s only carries their own brand, but I’be heard they have a couple solid blends!

Honestly the Onyx subscription is super worth it and it comes to the door once a month. I’ve never once regretted it, just regretted running out!

2 Likes

I forget they have a Whole Foods. I have rarely ever been there so I forget about it. I’ll definitely check it out.

I honestly didn’t know Onyx had a subscription so I’m going to jump on that.

Also, I’m intrigued by the Chemex. I guess it’s a form of “Pour over”. Might be my next purchase.

I keep thinking I’m going to win some Hoboken coffee someday.

For going out, I honestly love McDonald’s coffee. Nice and smooth.

For home I have Dunkin Donuts. Folgers and Maxwell House are nasty.

2 Likes

I use Dunkin Donuts at home as well. Chick fil a is a definite no go. Very bitter.

2 Likes

Who here has tried Death Wish?

1 Like

My palate isn’t very good for coffee but I’m assuming Great Value Donut Shop coffee is Dunkin’s. That’s my go to.

Anyone tried Rose Rock? Roasted in Tahlequah, just dont know if it’s any good.

Oh shoot how could I forget Hoboken? Super, super solid. Maybe my favorite environment for a coffee shop too.

Also I’m a big fan of the chemex, but also the v60 is great too! Much easier if you’re just making one cup too!

2 Likes

Does the Onyx subscription come with beans or is it already ground?

I get it as beans. You might be able to request it ground? Some do that. Hoboken has a subscription too and I think they do grounds if you want??

1 Like

We just bought a bag of Go Pokes (of course). It’s good.

I’m going to have to try out onyx.