Collin Clay status for 2020

Per a source, Collin Clay, Oklahoma State’s transfer defensive end who played at Arkansas last season, has not yet heard back from the NCAA regarding his waiver request to gain immediate eligibility in 2020.

Clay played in 11 games for the Razorbacks in 2019 and finished the season with 17 tackles, a half tackle for loss and three QB hurries. He transferred to OSU in December shortly after Chad Morris’ firing.

A 6-foot-3, 296 pound recruit, Clay was a four-star recruit in the 2019 class from Putnam City in Oklahoma. Because of the circumstances (Arkansas fired its coach and Clay subsequently chose to move closer to home), a few people I have talked to say they expect he will be granted a waiver. He has a good case.

OSU’s depth along the defensive line actually looks pretty solid this season with Tyler Lacy, Cam Murray, Trace Ford and Israel Antwine, but getting Clay eligible would be a huge win. @dustinragusa24 broke down his film here, and I’m pretty convinced he’s good enough to challenge for a starting spot or at the very least earn a major role in the rotation along the defensive line.

7 Likes

This is so weird. I thought a coaching change was almost an automatic reason to grant immediate eligibility.

4 Likes

I’ve found this to be a sadly accurate representation of the NCAA waiver process.

17 Likes

What’s the latest they could give him a decision by?

Probably when basketball starts lol

4 Likes

the CClay topic has been on my mind since it was announced he was transferring to OSU. Have always felt this would be an important bonus for 2020. Having Clay in the DL rotation is very important from my perspective. Regular/Fresh DT rotation is so important in B12 for any type of serious QB pressure

6 Likes

Unrelated: Collin Clay’s father sang the national anthem at today’s Thunder game.

4 Likes