Comps for players that have a real shot at the NFL

Just wanted to start a forum and get some peoples thoughts on who may be good comparisons for current guys on the roster that could head to league after their time in Stillwater is all said and done. I’ll make my list with a few NFL comps and feel free to add names or give different comps if you’d like.

Jelani Woods- Leonard Pope
Stoner- Chris Hogan
Chuba- Alvin Kamara
A.J Green- Logan Ryan

Just a few of my thoughts. Would love to hear others. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I dig this! I’ll have to think about it more, but this is a cool idea.

1 Like

Thanks! I love player comps and I really look forward to hearing other ideas!

Just off the top of my head and these may be wrong:
Tylan: Larry Fitzgerald. He’s not going to run you out of the stadium, but he always gets in position to make a play and ridiculous catches at that.
Mal-Rod: Luke Kuechly. He can defend the pass reasonably well, but he hits like an absolute train.
Dru: early career-Matt Cassel. You don’t really want him as your starter for a long period of time, but he can come in and win you games.
KHP: a poor man’s Troy Polamalu. Maybe not as dynamic and game-changing, but he goes HARD and can get you.

1 Like

This is great stuff man. If enough people comment or care I’ll break down why I made the comps I did. I really think my Woods-Pope one could be spot on tho. I wanted to tag @marshall and the others to get their thoughts as well.

1 Like

I thought that LaVeon Bell comparison for Chuba was great. I think Tylan Wallace is Steve Smith reincarnated.

1 Like

I like the Steve Smith. I just felt like Chuba was faster than Bell. I can see it tho. Make a Bell/ Kamara mix. It’s insane that we had 3 NFL RBs on campus and probably 6 or 7 WRs at the same time. Great feedback tho. Keep em coming guys.

Spencer Sanders reminds me of Colin Kaepernick.

Tyler Lacy reminds me of DeMarcus Lawrence.

AJ Green reminds me of Josh Norman.

I’m not the biggest NFL guy (evident by my woeful fantasy season), but I too liked the Le’Veon Bell comparison from today. The biggest similarity with Chuba and Bell is the patience behind the line of scrimmage.

Another guy I think Chuba is kind of like is Walter Payton. Gundy mentioned Monday how Chuba is able to make is cuts farther away from defenders than most backs because of he knew how fast he was, and that’s similar to how Payton made his cuts. Payton’s hips were almost always facing forward, too. That’s what Chuba does, and it helps him run as powerful as he does.

5 Likes

My personal comp would be Dalvin Cook for Chuba…Golden Tate for Tylan

1 Like

This is a beautiful take. Thanks Marshall!

1 Like

I like the Golden Tate one a lot!

1 Like

I thought about Norman as well for Green. I think Spencer reminds me more of Tyrod Taylor or Deshaun Watson. He’s got a better throwing nothing that Colin IMO. I could see Lacy as a Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett type?

@PistolsFiring @dustinragusa24 any thoughts here?

Cliff Avril is a good one for Lacy.

1 Like

Weeden said Bell on our pod a few weeks ago, too.

2 Likes

Chuba - Demarco Murray. Murray ran a 4.41 at the combine, is also very similar in size to CH. Murray was 6-0, 190 pounds his freshman year, which is very close to Hubbard’s 6-1, 190 pounds he was listed at as a freshman. Murray entered the NFL at 6-0, 213, which I think would be an ideal weight for Hubbard who is listed at 207. Also, both participated in the return game in college. Both guys also are incredibly smooth runners, doesn’t always look like they are moving fast but they always are, both physical when needed.

Tylan - Nelson Agholor and Donald Driver. Agholor and TW are very similar in size. I went back and looked at Agholor’s measurements from his sophomore season at USC, and they are exactly what Wallace’s are currently, 6-0, 185. Wallace lines up primarily at outside receiver, which is also where Agholor played the majority of his college career. The Eagles moved Agholor to the slot. However, he has moved back to the outside at times, especially when there are injuries. Similarly to Agholor, I could see Wallace possessing this versatility and excelling both inside and outside at the next level. Both guys are good route runners and great at making contested catches.

As for the Driver comp, both guys are similar in size. Driver may be faster than TW, but both players are physical, and know how to go up and make a catch. I really like this comp for Wallace. The Agholor one was something I wrote last season, but I think I like the Driver one more now.

Dillion Stoner - Jarvis Landry. Both guys are leaders. Landry was named an LSU season long team captain in 2013 and we’ve seen Stoner named team captain fairly frequently and his leadership shows on the field. Both guys have excellent hands and are great route runners. Landry and Stoner both aren’t afraid to go over the middle and take a hit to make a catch. Neither have elite speed, but are still deep threats due to their body positioning and overall athleticism. Both guys are also solid blockers. Landry also lined up both inside and outside and we’ve seen Stoner do that this year.

Jelani - Jack Doyle. Both guys are around 6’6/6’7 and 260+. Neither guy has elite speed, but solid route runners with athleticism, along with being big, powerful runners after the catch. Both are great blockers in the run game. Doyle might be one of the best in the nfl in that aspect at the TE position, and Jelani has shown significant improvement in that area this year.

5 Likes

It may be a lazy comparison but I’ve always thought Stoner reminded me of Adam Thielen.

Thielen: 6’ 2” 201 lb
Stoner: 6’ 0” 198 lb

1 Like

Chuba ain’t there yet but his running style makes me think AP.

Murray comp for Hubbard is pretty accurate.

2 Likes