Cowgirls Shutout Florida, A Game Away from WCWS Championship Series

Originally published at: Cowgirls Shutout Florida, A Game Away from WCWS Championship Series | Pistols Firing

Cottrill drilled her former team and Maxwell hit 300 strikeouts on the season.

Great game. Keep this rolling. I think we will face texas.
I hope we win it in 1 game either way. Day has to wins against texas. 12 innings 2 runs. Just get those bats going. Get those bats going.

1 Like

GO POKETTES!! :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face:

Hayley Busby is absolutely one of my favorite Cowgirls ever, all sports. I have wished so very much for her ‘slump’ to be over and even questioned the coach’s benching at times, wanting her to have a chance to swing out of it. I loved her bat coming back to life in the Big 12 tournament!! …but it has went back to sleep it seems. I probably start Wynne at first the next game as we have to put out best foot forward from here on. jmho…

1 Like

I have been sensing a ‘familiarity’ with Sooner pitcher Jordy Bahl… and watching her pitch versus UCLA at the moment, it came to me!!!

‘Teeter’… from Yellowstone. The similar mannerisms are almost scary, as is Teeter to most of the wranglers on the Dutton Ranch!!

1 Like

Just between you and me, I do believe that Coach G (insert Gundy or Gajewski… odddly enough) is so very responsible for his team’s success, but also for the shortcomings on the biggest of stages. Without Coach G, there would be no high expectations or hopes. But then, coaching blunders (some call it squinky too… lol) often lead to the major disappointments once the big stage is reached.

Things you do NOT do…

Take your hottest bat and put her in an unfamiliar part of the field, no matter how much grounder practice you can give her between games!

Insert a freshman into her spot who is a slapper, when even our best slappers have finally started to plant that back foot and hit line drives and home runs!! Alexander and Naomi…

Leave a very hard working Busby in the game when her confidence is based on her batting prowess and her most recent plate appearances have been sad. (almost like some coach tried to ‘correct’ her overly upright approach to hitting, and completely effed up her swing!!) We had a very capable utility reserve and former all big 12 player, albeit for Kansas, on the bench for no good reason.

Yeah, I am bit broken hearted and lashing out… I just believe that our girl’s deserved a better coaching foot forward, especially Miss Maxwell. Talking with an OU fan and friend today, we discussed who was the overall better pitcher when completely healthy, Maxwell or Teeter (Bahl). I believe it is Maxwell, who never hardly gets the run support to take the pressure off of her and place it onto the batters she faces. Teeter has a 4 or 5 run lead most of the time after two innings and she faces batters under pressure. Kelly has to hold another team to very few runs for us to have a chance. We did not give her much help, and the coaching adjustments between games gave her even less.

jmho, butt hurt opinion at that. GO POKETTES!!

1 Like

Im with on this. But we should define a whole year on one bad play. We got to remember both teams were playing great teams.
That one play for the girls remind me of plenty of a drunk evening on the softball field. When your yell at the other guys to stop throwing the ball.
Texas did take 4th seed Arkansas in 2 games. One of only 3 teams to beat ou.
With gundy it was a injured replacement center playing against the best nose guard. Because of injuries playing a back that missed most of the year. Baylor did beat the 3rd best sec team in the sugar bowl. Everybody was asking the wrong question. Why were we even in that game? 4 pics and trouble red zone.

1 Like

Ahhhh… the voice of reason. :cowboy_hat_face: Thanks for that.

However, while you cannot define a whole year on one or even two bad plays, or even bad games… those plays or games will almost always keep you from defining a championship year at all.

2 Likes

I feel you, may be its a curse. I feel less disappointed when gundy foghts to get into the top 10 then when the golf team fails.
The year wolfe won the natty and we got a natty was great. That was called by some the best team ever, why didnt they win 2? Basically the same team. The years team fall apart last to days. Ranked second.
Listen to joy the football team should be playing for 4th every year. Thats where we recuit.

1 Like