Daily Bullets (Apr. 30): Gundy Lands a Running Back, NCAA Opening a Big Door

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-apr-30-gundy-lands-a-running-back-ncaa-opening-a-big-door/

The Daily Bullets are brought to you by Hoboken Coffee: Perfectly Roasted in Historic Guthrie. Two Bags Ship Free. Order Now! Happy birthday to Sister Bullets – best in the biz. Bullets Rundown • NCAA opens the door for player sponsorship deals • Gundy lands an RB • Could coaches start cutting salary voluntarily? OSU Bullets • It’s not OSU news but it impacts the Cowboys and Cowgirls that the NCAA has agreed to allow athletes to be compensated by a third-party. The Board of Governors met on the issue this week and agreed that athletes should be allowed to receive compensation for third-party endorsements “both related and separate from athletics.” Additionally, athletes would be permitted to receive payment for other opportunities “such as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances.” [Yahoo Sports] The plan isn’t set to be in place until the 2021-2022 season. Brokedown most simply, Chuba Hubbard would be allowed to receive compensation from say… a car dealer in Canada for vouching for their products but would not be allowed to be compensated by Oklahoma State for his endorsements. It’s sort of implied that he would do that for what he’s already receiving (scholarship). Board…

Believe me. College football players will make more money if they attend Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, LSU etc. etc. etc. than they would make attending Oklahoma State. I think players deserve payments but don’t know the answer to some kind of equitable or level payment field. I think the top tier programs just solidified their position.

Rich get richer

I haven’t read the details. Is there anything that will preclude a booster from paying an athlete to endorse his/her company?

Listen the NCAA can not and won’t be able to keep up with all the ways boosters can funnel money to these kids. I mean what’s stopping some one to tell a kid to start a bogus bus’s is don the internet and boosters given them money hand over fist? I feel sorry for the NCAA to have too keep up with all the shenanigans that are coming their way

Sorry I meant to say what’s stopping a booster to tell a kid to start a bogus business on the internet or further more getting someone to set it up for them and boosters funneling money to them hand over fist to get them to commit.

1 Like