Daily Bullets (June 29): Pokes Land a Top 100 Player in Texas, Tramel Projects OSU in Big 12 Title Game

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-june-29-pokes-land-a-top-100-player-in-texas-tramel-projects-osu-in-big-12-title-game/

Thanks for stopping by – here’s your daily dose of Oklahoma State sports news. Three Thoughts • OSU landed a secondary player from DFW yesterday – top-100 player in Texas that OSU beat out TCU, Tech, Baylor, SMU, and Arkansas to land. These are the kinds of recruits OSU needs to be winning. (PFB) • It was a bummer to read Coleman Scott quotes on him not being sure if he’ll keep coaching wrestling – hate to see that (On3) • Berry Tramel picked OSU and Utah for the Big 12 title – but points out how the Big 12 was careful not to schedule too many matchups with the league’s perceived contenders (TulsaWorld) Arizona plays Utah and K-State, but the KSU game is a non-conference affair and won’t affect the standings; the Wildcats don’t play Kansas or OSU. [TulsaWorld] Two Quotes • Fascinating quote on how EA Sports landed on ranking units – and landing on the Pokes as a top-25 defense: “The Development Team meticulously examined hundreds of thousands of data points to arrive at our team power rankings,” EA Sports said in its release. “With help from our friends at Pro Football Focus (PFF), the team analyzed…

EA Sports staff spent countless hours examining thousands of hours of game film….sure they did. Then they picked their top 25 based on a rotating list of P4 conferences to appeal to as many fan bases as possible. Colorado a top 25 defense? Really?

2 Likes

I think I would have taken Matt Holiday over Gerald Green, because at their respective times I think Holiday at Qb would have been more impactful. Gerald Green signed in the 2003 or 2004 class? At that point Eddie already had us winning the B12 and going to the Final 4. As well, Green would have probably been one and done. Whereas, Holiday would have signed in the 1998 class? He might have supplanted Tony Lindsay and had enough success for Simmons to keep his job.

1 Like

Wasn’t Green part of Sean’s 1st class? If so, Green might have given the OSU program the boost it needed in the transition and helped them maintain post-Eddie. That said, I would pick holiday, because FB>MBB & QB>SG.

1 Like

I looked it up, Green was part of the2005 signing class. It said Eddie Sutton coached through 2006.

What you said QB>PG is right on. I just think Holiday would have given Football a bigger boost than Green in BB.