Daily Bullets (May 14): Pokes Returning a Ton, What Steve Lutz Minors In

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-may-14-pokes-returning-a-ton-what-steve-lutz-minors-in/

Thanks for stopping by – here’s your daily dose of Oklahoma State sports news. Scores Men’s Golf: Cowboys in second through one round OSU Bullets • Of the 134 teams playing FBS football, Cowboy Football returns the third-most production (yards, scoring, tackles, etc.) (X) • Led by Rayhan Thomas in second, the Pokes are one shot back from the leader, North Florida through one round (Golf Stat) • Kind of interesting stat from PFB’s Marshall Scott – Steve Lutz’s teams don’t really prioritize three-point shooting: The three teams Lutz has been the head coach for have all had success without relying on the 3 too heavily, which is why this is at the bottom of my list of questions. Just 25.3% of the Hilltoppers’ points last season came from 3, which ranked 306th (of 362) nationally. OSU ranked 72nd nationally in that stat last season, for reference. [PFB] • Why Chad Weiberg went outside of the program to replace John Smith (O’Colly) • This Cowboy Baseball team at No. 19 feels right doesn’t it? #OkState stays put at No. 19 in this week’s D1Baseball Top 25 following its sweep of Texas Tech at home over the weekend.Have to wonder where…

Whew. One round to go and Cowboy golfers are in one EXTREMELY tight regional race. Only five strokes difference from being in first and not qualifying at all.

2 Likes

Is this a young team ? Seems we have sucked the last 3-4 years and the goons have overtaken us ?
How are the goons ahead of us in baseball when they were bad postseason ? I do think they have swept 6 series in conference though

I wouldn’t say we’re young, although we have had two solid freshman contributors this year: Preston Stout and Gaven Lane. Baumgartner has been solid, if not great, over the last three seasons. Others like Bo Jin, Rayhan Thomas, Hazen Newman, Dillon Stewart – all 5th year seniors – have underperformed during their time in Stillwater. That probably sounds harsh, but I think it’s reality. Jin was great his freshman season and hasn’t matched that level since. Thomas had big expectations but has been in-and-out of the line-up until this season, which has been his best year.

One notable defection occurred a couple of years ago when Brian Stark transferred to the University of Texas. Stark has been really good for the Longhorns and, no doubt, would’ve been either #1 or #2 bag for the Pokes if he had stayed.

1 Like

Sounds like we need a reload ?