Division I Council Removing Scholarship Limits in Football for Next Two Years

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/division-i-council-removing-scholarship-limits-in-football-for-next-two-years/

The 25-man limit per class is no more (for now).

With the transfer portal this makes sense. I’ll bet this becomes permanent.

Wild west just got wilder
I do know that a guy like riley would have no troubles kicking guys of to keep under the 85 but get more in a class.

2 Likes

Mike Gundy is a wise sage able to foresee the future. I would like to see him start wearing an orange turban.

1 Like

Good change but need to limit NIL spending, need to set a hard cap that most FBS schools can compete with that way Texas or someone can’t just offer someone 3 million. Set it where no player can earn more than x amount of dollars then all schools can compete with that and players can still get paid but schools with the biggest donors can’t just buy the best players. Kind of like what happened with Jarick Bernard converse going to LSU.

1 Like

Well looks just like the Switzer days where the BB will have 2-3 deep that could start anywhere
Am I wrong ? Blue Bloods stockpiling players

2 Likes

I don’t believe there were roster limits in those days, now there is an 85 man roster limit. So you can sign 40 guys but if you don’t have 40 leaving then you’re going to have to cut someone. Could still definitely lead to an imbalance but shouldn’t be as bad as the old days, I don’t think…

2 Likes

Well I misunderstood it then. Switzer had around 150 players and not much difference in talent.

1 Like

Technically the school can’t pay or have ties with it, it’s supposed to be a kid getting offered what he’s worth off his name. Problem is ncaa won’t do anything about what schools like a&m and Texas are doing because the language put into effect makes what they’re doing perfectly within the rules

2 Likes

In 1973 the NCAA imposed a 105 total limits on scholarships.
1978 it went to 95
1992 it went to 85

1 Like

Meanwhile A&M can pay even more money to an unlimited roster :laughing: and tick Saban off even more. I’m fixing to grab my popcorn and enjoy the show. Too bad T-Boone passed too soon.

2 Likes