Does Cade Stay?

No inside knowledge here, but I think he stays. Many factors working in OSU’s favor, including the timing of all of this. What does everybody else think?

• Cade stays
  • Cade leaves

0 voters

Stays.

Stays. He will be known as a loyal recruit stays true to his commitments. That’s fantastic PR IMO.

The heart says he stays and the brain says he probably goes.

2 Likes

Always go with the heart. Unless the heart says he goes, then go with the brain. You’re too young for the pessimism to kick in. :rofl:

3 Likes

For what it’s worth I voted stays in the poll :joy:

1 Like

Friday afternoon I don’t think I could’ve been more confident he was gone, but now, I definitely lean towards Stays. Ultimately, I don’t think the NCAA tournament is going to be that high on Cade’s list of priorities. I think that his main concern is going to be maintaining his status atop next year’s draft, and I don’t think a few games in March will really affect that, because every NBA team is already very well aware of who he is, so he doesn’t need the exposure. I also agree with Kyle that the timing helps us out big time. Everyone has finished their 2020 class and moved onto 2021, plus he’s already been bonding with the other guys in our class, whereas he would have to start from scratch building relationships at another school. MAM has been down in DFW working out with him for awhile now, and he’s obviously already tight with Rondel and Pena, and Donovan Williams said Cade is maybe the biggest reason he chose OSU, so obviously they’re close already. I definitely don’t think it’s a sure thing, but I think he’s sticking around.

6 Likes

I say he stays!

I say he goes unless he stays.

3 Likes

The problem for Cade isn’t necessarily just draft status. It’s shoe deal status. Zion supposedly cashed in endorsement-wise from 1 year at Duke. 1 year on the biggest stages in front of all the cameras under the brightest lights. Does ESPN schedule any Big Monday games for OSU if they can’t play in March? Maybe, if they think it will have BigXII title implications, maybe not. I don’t know.

Just looking at it from every angle, Cade gains nothing but the respect of OSU fans by “appearing loyal”. He gains (potentially) $$MILLIONS by appearing on ESPN/CBS in as many games as possible over his 1 season. That’s why many argue the $500k from the G-League isn’t worth it to a guy like Cade. For him it’s about raising his Brand nationally.

Totally agree with this take. Sadly, it’s also a great reason for him to actually leave… spending a year at Duke or Kentucky would certainly add value to a shoe deal. I’m afraid he just won’t have the exposure at OSU with all this drama looming.

1 Like

If Cade is going to be playing it won’t matter if we are playing in March or not. Especially considering some of the other big name freshman are either G league or on the west coast. Big time games against Kansas, big games against Greg Brown, still plenty of opportunity for exposure!

I completely agree with you here. I think he should build his brand and get that cash. However, when he initially signed with us, did he think all the games were going to magically get off ESPN+? I honestly don’t know how much he cares about this. If it was a major factored he would be at a blue blood.

Honestly think he stays. And I think we will play in the postseason.

7 Likes

I think he’s going to stay. And I agree with @TheHeadChimp - I bet this drags out into the season and we go gangbusters. I was talking with a buddy about this: what if OSU keeps Cade, uses this as a motivator and runs roughshod through the non-conference. The NCAA will have a decision to make: keep a probable Top 25 team with the number 1 pick off of television screens in March, or own up and wipe away the postseason ban.

If it’s about money for the NCAA (it is), then the postseason ban should be lifted. If it’s about the kids (unfortunately, it’s not), then the postseason ban should be lifted. Any way you slice this, the postseason ban makes no sense and is cruel from the NCAA. All of the other sanctions, as steep as they may be, line up as a punishment more for the basketball administration and less for the players. I’d really like to know how they landed on a postseason ban as appropriate punishment here.

6 Likes

I voted he stays, but I would feel a lot better if he would put something on Instagram or Twitter just about OSU or just like or retweet something. Even if he did what Williams did and put it on his Instagram story, or like Ice’s tweet. The fact he’s the number 1 recruit and I’m sure he’s getting hit up by everyone and just say I appreciate all the love and support but at this time my commitment is still with OSU. As the days pass I will not feel confident till he reports to OSU or issues something publicly.

2 Likes

Plus…(no pun), ESPN owns all the content anyway, so bumps from + to Big Monday, etc, is not a far stretch anyway. Easy to do…

1 Like

I’m changing my vote to no.

I think he’s leaving and it’s going to hurt so bad :frowning:

I respect his remaining silent. Despite how much I believe the NCAA is completely wrong, it’s in his best interest to let the thing play out. If he makes a statement now then changes his mind it could reflect poorly on his character. The fact that he is playing it safe and smart actually improves my respect of him which makes me feel even stronger that he gives Mike and Mike and Smrt time to respond to the NCAA’S terrible ruling here.

7 Likes