Doug Gottlieb Thread

I agree with this take.

Ironically Coach Coleman was a “safer” hire for wrestling because he had proven success as a D1 wrestling coach. DT was the splashy hire because of his recent personal athletic success and his pedigree at powerhouse PSU. BUT like Doug, DT had no head coaching experience. I :100: believe DT was the correct hire for OSU, but even Coach Smith admitted there was some inherent risk as DT has to figure out the administrative side of coaching.

On the flip side, while I fully understand Doug was not the Olympic gold medalist athlete that DT is, I think Doug would have been the splashier hire for MBB. Doug was the outside-the-box hire, whereas Lutz was the “safe” hire. Even I, as a Doug supporter, am surprised at all the big time coaches supporting Doug’s hiring at Green Bay as a good, splashy hire.

But that’s all done now - I wish Coach Lutz and Coach Gottlieb nothing but the best. :orange_circle: :green_circle:

3 Likes

Hiring Doug wouldn’t have put us at the bottom anymore than we already were. I really wanted Boynton to succeed but we got worse

1 Like

I mean, would anyone think Pat McAfee would be a great football HC hire for OSU? Absolutely not.

The only difference between him and Doug is that Doug went here after getting kicked out of his former school.

2 Likes

well and the fact that McAfee was actually very good and played in the NFL

1 Like

I hope he kills it and I hope Lutz kills it and when Lutz moves Doug is the natural progression.

2 Likes

No. John Lucas will be the next guy. And then Zach Robinson.

3 Likes

True. Pat’s more qualified than Doug.

and WVU would never even consider giving him a call

3 Likes

Sir. No h.

1 Like

Are we really arguing this again. Just be happy he got off is a** and is actually going to prove he can coach. It’s not going to work at a high level if he keeps his radio show, but whatever. Happy for Doug, he wasn’t the guy for a P5 job. Prove it and we can revisit.

5 Likes

Pronounced “zatch”

2 Likes

If there was ever a thread Marshall should nuke…

2 Likes

I was pro-Doug for quite a while, and quite vocal on here…but now I’m at the point that this sh-t needs to disappear forever. Let it die. I agree that it can’t possibly work to coach full-time and do a radio show full-time. He owes it to the university and the program that he’s coaching at to drop the radio show. Stupid to think he can do both really well simultaneously. I wish we could stop reading about it at this point. Kill this thread.

3 Likes

Too many Dougiphobes on this thread to let it die :cowboy_hat_face: