Fans and the QB “controversy”

Terrible game today. No doubt about it. But I’m tired of fans calling for Spencer’s head. He was awful yes, but he is going to be good I truly believe it. Keep the faith. These same fans called for Corndogs head last year calling Spencer our “savior”. Dru Brown would only be a stop gap. Give Spencer his time and ride him this season and he will reward us. This was always going to be a 8-9 win season and we can still do that.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing. Nobody is saying ‘take him out, his OSU career should be over’. Most of us were saying ‘he’s fumbled twice and thrown two picks (before his last one) - he needs to be taken out so we have a shot to win the game’. Start him next game and all that! He was absolutely trash today and it’s baffling that our leadership was willing to throw away the game and, frankly, the season just to get him reps. After his second pick, Brown (if he’s healthy) should have come in. You don’t let a kid compound his mistakes. BUT this all could have been avoided if, in games last year that we had already lost (e.g. KSU), he got playing time to get a sense of things. He’s not throwing three picks and fumbling twice if he gets playing time in four games last year. He just isn’t. We are in this miserable spot THIS year because of piss-poor player management LAST year.

There is zero chance we win 8 games this year, though. We probably beat Kansas and TCU, but ISU/Baylor/WVU will be crapshoots and Bedlam should be written down as a loss in freaking magic marker at this point. We win 6 or, at most, 7 games this year.

1 Like

People were saying “he lacks the mental capacity to play at this level.” I guess that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t play at this level for OSU anymore, but it sure seems pretty close to it.

I will say that I disagree wholeheartedly with statements like that. He’s young, he’s learning…but man, he had no place on that field after his second pick.

2 Likes

Spencer is young and has had to deal with getting place on his butt the entire first half. His o-line was terrible and he never had the time to even process the play to get a throw out until the second half. SS is not the problem, he is young. We have really really good skill players, playing for a really really bad team. If we could block him, he would look a heck of a lot better. I would be pissed playing behind that line.

I get your point. I thought we would put Brown in. But I’ve seen some fans just going way to hard at Spencer. That guy looks absolutely gutted that he lost us this game today. Give the kid a break no need to destroy him on social media and what not. (Not saying you were)

1 Like

Oh, I never talk to players on social media. That’s over the line. But, honestly, he SHOULD be gutted that he lost us the game. He earned it. It’s not like ‘one mistake ended things’ - he absolutely failed and should feel terrible. And then he needs to learn from it.

2 Likes

We also need to talk about the atrocious O-line play. It was god awful today

1 Like

In the game thread, after six plays, I was saying that the OL needs to run stadium stairs until they puke this week. Every single day. I stand behind that - they should be humiliated at their play.

1 Like

When is the last time we’ve had any depth at OL? I’m hopeful we finally have continuity at OL coach that can help.

I think Spencer might be getting agitated with the play calling. He showed some signs of that against Texas.

I think his decision making is subpar, but that can be worked on and improved.

1 Like

Lol wut?? There’s absolutely nothing we’ve seen from this team that suggests they’ll win 8-9 games.

This is not a one game thing. This is now 4 straight games. The fact is the kid isn’t good enough to be a big 12 qb right now. He’s playing way worse than Cornellius ever did last year

Don’t see the issue with giving the existences graduate transfer a few snaps or one start. I’m all about Sanders having success long term but I don’t think being stubborn about him taking all of the snaps makes a lot of sense. Also, last year a lot of us simply wanted Spencer to get snaps with the four game redshirt rule. That would have helped us out tremendously going into this year.

2 Likes

Also, didn’t know there was a broken pinky issue?

broken pinky for who?

Brown has a broken pinky… Makes some of the decisions make more sense.

1 Like

My girlfriend made a good point about Sanders and the towel picture. He may have very well been crying (maybe not, but at the very least he’s down and out). He’s a young kid, getting beat up on the internet and has 3.5 years ahead of him. I think I’d rather blindly support him (he’s a really good kid from what I’ve been told) and put pressure on Gundy who is older and makes the big bucks.

3 Likes

I think we can do both. Like I said earlier, he SHOULD be emotionally affected by this. He was objectively terrible. It’s on him to learn. It’s also on a coach who is incapable of being consistent. There are a lot of venues of blame today.

1 Like

I just don’t want to be too harsh on a 20 year old kid (or is he 19?). He’s young and will make mistakes.

1 Like