Fiesta Bowl Rundown: What Mike Gundy Said in His First News Conference in Phoenix

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/fiesta-bowl-rundown-what-mike-gundy-said-in-his-first-news-conference-in-phoenix/

Gundy spoke via Zoom on Monday.

“The thing that I was referring to is Oklahoma State’s logo now is marketable and popular from coast-to-coast. We’ve had tremendous success for a long time here and we have been fortunate enough to play and go toe-to-toe with top five, top ten teams for a number of years now. So, we have a marketable logo.”

Popular to who? The modern day three star recruit? Nobody cares about going toe-to-toe against them. They just want to know if you can beat them. We have no NY6 bowl wins and no conference titles in 10 years. So what tremendous success is he speaking about?

2 Likes

It’s because of bad fans like u joey. How doesn’t see how great osu is.

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how many players test positive between now and Saturday. This variant doesn’t seem very serious but I’d say most people will probably come in contact with it and it’s very contagious, if they get to strict on testing this could become the practice squad vs the practice squad.

Bad fan? I’m a bad fan because I support the notion we need more trophies and better bowl wins to get better recruits?

1 Like

Joey thats all u support is more titles. That’s it. U dnt support any student athletes coaches of osu teams.
So if football doesn’t get a title, u are on here 247 not giving ur support. So u have support osu 1 year in the last how many u have so called urself an osu fan.

2 Likes

It’s not that I don’t support student athletes. It’s the fact that I don’t like supporting mediocrity. It’s common sense. Winning more conference titles and major bowl games leads to better recruits and better odds of landing better recruits. Go ask Mike Gundy if you don’t believe me.

Joey by not talking about the good things the players do, u r not supporting them.
We asked u what u wanted at the beginning of the season.
Title game
Big 6 bowl
4 to 8 4 stars.
Not a good word. But nonstop about going 6 and 6.
U real have amazing issue in reality.
Ok we have covered this issue. Ur just going to lie.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty good that our defensive players were able to accomplish what they could with how inept our offense was this season. I also have to give our offensive players credit for the limited play calling and offensive coaching they experienced all season. Will that work?

1 Like

Tell me Robert, did we loose the title game because of coaching or because Baylor has better players? Second, why does Gundy’s teams always lose to backup quarterbacks?

Yea that is not show support. Coming out after the fact someone calls u out. Also, u always after half ess a compliment. This year gundy gave u want u called for. So u can be disappointed but not crying about 6 and 6 season. Do not write back, because it will just be a rainman answer u think is new.

1 Like

Oh jug u make everything so easy. Let’s make ask u this. Go as Campbell why they lost to tech. Ask Texas why they lost to Williams. Go ask Baylor yes Baylor why they lost to tcu. I guess that’s why shane is 4 and 0.
The lose of the title game is u just trying to score a magical rainbow points. It’s obviously Knowles was out coached. Who let’s a backup throw 17 straight passes.

1 Like

So out coached he got poached by a top 3-5 program of all time. Could the defense have done a bit better in the first half? Yes they could’ve. But the reality is Baylor scored 21 points off of less than 100 yards of offense. Losing that game was 100% the offensive side of the balls fault.

1 Like

Sounds like Gundy has made up his mind that the new DC will be a promotion from within.
He sure gave enough hints about that.
As far as having tremendous success during Gundy’s, I compare what Cowboy football looks like to the teams before Gundy, starting with Phil Cuthchen who was coaching when I first watched Cowboy teams. His teams were so bad that as a student I attended the opening home game of the 1966 game and never went to any more games. Watched them in the comfort of West Bennett Hall tv room with black and white tv. I think they only televised Bedlam games then. Cutchen, Floyd Gass, Bob Simmons, just terrible teams. There was a revival when Jimmy Johnson took over but he soon left for Miami. And some good teams with Les Miles until he realized he could not recruit the players he needed to accomplish his goal of a national championship, so it was off to Baton Rouge. So in comparison to the teams that came before Gundy, he is correct in stating that OSU has had tremendous success. I remember how it was just unbelievable when OSU started to get ranked in the top 25. Our football program has gone from embarassment in the Big 8 to pride in the Big 12.

5 Likes

Logan r u help jug. I could go completely deeper.
I was pointing out to jug his misconception.
For one thing he wasn’t a true backup like when purdy beat us or the other games I mentioned. Knowles had film.
U guys wanting to blame a side just shows u guys never played team sports. Their is a major age defense between the two units. Jug is always good at this so the defense actually played 1 year out of 17.

1 Like

Some people keep bringing up the Baylor game like we got curb stomped or something. Folks we were a couple of inches from winning that game and we did it with no running game and spotted them 21 points on short field turnovers. We beat them in total offense yards 244 to 333 and held them scoreless in the second half. There second string QB didn’t beat us. If you had to blame one thing, which I don’t, it would be the short field turnovers that caused the most trouble. Now after all that we missed winning by a couple of inches! That’s not an abject failure like some seem to want everyone to believe.

3 Likes

Gundy was meant to be a legend, @joe15 and @ar1 were meant for rubbers

2 Likes

Who struggles with the decision to pull his QB when it becomes obvious he’s going to give the ball to the other team?

The key word there was “meant” and if you want to be considered a legend it’s going to take more than one conference title in 20 years.

Yes….kind of like how you blame the defense every single time even when Gundy and Dunn prove to us they can be really good with phucked up play calling. Hey Robert!!! In the two losses we had who was the last unit on the field?