Fire Mike Boynton Thread

It’s all “fiscal responsibility” bs. Scared money don’t make money.

2 Likes

Let’s bring Jay Wright out of retirement. Make the Big 12 scared.

2 Likes

Or Bob Huggins :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

[quote=“kyleboone, post:1742, topic:6000, full:true”]
Fair, but OSU has some control over that, no?

If OSU doesn’t have the funding to go and hire a top tier coach, then wouldn’t that be on the athletic department to go raise the funds – via fundraising or via donations – to do so? Surely if you sold boosters on the idea of Dusty May coming in to be a program-changer they could generate donations to pay for a year or two of his salary and help offset some of the costs.

Unfortunately it’s a reality that has existed since BPS was created and the “Athletic Village” was conceived. It created a great initial buzz for athletics overall, but eventually you need to ask yourself who you really are and if that’s affordable and sustainable. I believe it’s not and for well beyond the forseeable future. Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I believe it’s reality.

4 Likes

I think it’s just donors seeing value in giving $$$

The $$$ is there, just needs a good reason to donate

3 Likes

I hope you are right. I’m basing my opinion on Gundy saying they can’t keep going back to the same cookie jar (when giving a reason why he thought NIL should be priority over facilities for football). Maybe you are right and there are other, different donors that can be swayed. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think you’re right

It’s just a base of 50 people, but like Gundy said, they’ll disburse funds, just needs to be something worth it.

1 Like

Are we talking donors or the university? The university has the funds to expand and will do so when opportune, as they have. But the donors have had plenty good reason for years upon years to donate for football and we are still a laughing stock when it comes to NIL funds. I understand those expansion funds come from donors as well but those things typically are for landscape improvements or comfortability improvements, not the team itself. Such as us dropping football capacity considerably because donors don’t like fun or being close to each other.

1 Like

When push comes to shove the $$$ is there

The school wouldn’t commit such a large % of the budget to Gundy’s salary without having further resources

Folks need return on investment, especially in conservative Oklahoma, throwing money haphazardly at an unproven basketball product doesn’t spark much interest

How much money would we lose if we shut the program down? How much would we save?

3 Likes

What a question

3 Likes

It sounds dumb I know, but I’m serious. Would it make financial sense to shut the program down?

1 Like

But my point is they are getting a return on investment in football. A rather substantial return considering the level of the program. And still no one will give a dime. We’re getting out-bidded by non-P5 teams and we’re a top 15ish program in the nation over the past 2 decades. We don’t spend like a top 20 team in football when we are a top 20 team in results. Blessings, MG. So I’m not seeing any way we would ever spend like a top 20 team in bball, which is what we would need to get back to that point.

As my practical aero professor used to say, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

That being said, they will never ever shut down the bball program. Lol

2 Likes

Well if we are getting technical we would lose a lot of money as it is a requirement as part of our conference contract to have basketball. We could be fined or docked quite a bit I am sure.

2 Likes

Talked to someone last night that talks to Weiberg occassionally. He said he would be surprised if they let Boynton go this year. Not because of anything Weiberg said about Boynton, but because of what he’s said about athletic dept. revenue. OU and TX leaving is having a significant impact on the athletic dept. budget so they are having to be very careful with the money. So he said he’d be surprised if they paid the buyout this year.

3 Likes

Anyone know how much the buyout drops to NEXT April 1st?

I just did some research and it looks like it would be $4.5M next April 1st. Obviously a year will be off the contract but the buyout percentage also drops down to 60% at that time.

4 Likes

Just catching up to the basketball thread and realized Tramel had already spelled this out

3 Likes

https://x.com/cbbcontent/status/1757811237121933367?s=46&t=4zZ4Rkzi_W5ZKwWDRiJhQA

4 tournaments in 7 years? This OSU would give him a raise, not fire him

8 Likes