Five Keys to Oklahoma State Reaching 10 Wins in 2023

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-keys-to-oklahoma-state-reaching-10-wins-in-2023/

It might not be as farfetched as you think.

Does anyone know exactly what happened with Jackson?? I been asking around and even asked a family member that’s a donor with connections. I know last season he missed a lot cause A&M took their sweet time with his transcripts.

My 5 is

1. Creative Play calling
  2. Do not use deepball throws to open run game
  3. Put the best players on the field regardless of seniority
  4. Be aggressive with the 335, because it’s a 3 man front
  5. Don’t be too conservative this season, Coach like your job is on the line because it might be in the next 1-2 years.
1 Like

Heard he was injured for the year. They didnt act like was coming back.

1 Like

Best players gets me roling ever time.

1 Like

What a shame, all I heard was he left the program. I thought maybe it was academics or something worse. I really liked him. He didn’t get a lot of play but 32 carries and 4.2 yards a carry. The way he played reminded me of Herschel Sims. I always wondered how good he would had been if he not got in trouble.

Hey I’m just saying what came from the coaches mouth. He said we are playing the best players regardless of seniority, which is something we don’t normally do.

The best know is weeden. Its known he wasnt the better qb in practice. You dnt go out on alimb with this.

Lets look at to freshman you may want. Gordon wasnt ready until later in the year. Watch film boogy wasnt a first teamer. He did alot wrong.
Oliver playerd alot as a freshman.

You guys see a kid make 1 play thats good but miss the 10 he sucked at

2 Likes

It mite be grades. Hidden as an injury to save him a year. I think that what happened with rucker

2 Likes

I had friends on that squad when weeden was there. I knew weeden was good before he came into that Colorado game and before the season started. I also liked the QBs that was there when was there too. 2 of those QBs played a different style. Lunt was garbage though. One thing I admire about OU and there isn’t much I admire about them is you’ll see freshman beating out Juniors and Seniors then starting over them. We’ve had running backs in the past I wish would had gotten more carries their first year on the field. I don’t disagree with you at all. Their are players that make a few plays of greatness then fizzle out. I’m still a fan of most players redshirting and learning the play book first before playing a game unless they are just good enough to nail the play play book down and make plays right away.

1 Like

They’ll probably be a lot of frustrations this year on defense and offense no matter who the QB is I thinks. Gundy seems to change the offense every couple years. I may be the only person who thinks we should just get mobile QBs and Zac Robinson it till we get better offensive line talent or it develops more.

1 Like

I know your the only one that thinks we should get better talent on the line. Gee wiz. You known banks a 5 star lineman texas missed games because he was hurt. Tcu got an ex5star linemen from Alabama they say he will be a project and is not on 2 deep. Just freaken amazing.

Personal if you want a qb to stay healthy dnt get a running qb. I can given give 5 or 6 examples from last you just in big12.

1 Like

What is there to admire. They get 5 stars. They will have a better change that a young kid can start. When you get 85 every year at a postion the old one should be better.

Texas had 3 freshman lineman play or start they were 5 or high 4. The came in as men at over 300lbs.
We have a couple of freshman that should get some play time

1 Like

Right now I’d take Oregon State over Arizona State.
Also, OSUs ceiling is 9 wins.

1 Like
  1. O-line
  2. Dunn
  3. Gundy
  4. LB’s
  5. RB’s

Those 5 will tell you whether or not we get to 10 wins. 3 of those 5 will hold us back. I would bet no.

2 Likes

There are too many unknown, untested, unproven things going into this season to predict anything with confidence. Now it’s a fact that someone will get it right but it will be the result of a lucky guess IMO.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen the guy play a play but from the reviews Kirkland has to be a force in the Dline
The guy 345 lbs and plays good tennis !!! Gheez he has to shine

2 Likes

With this schedule we play the bottom 7 teams. The 2 high are at home. The perseason is not tuff. We can get to 10 wins without playing anybody. Then have to figure out if ksu and ou hype is real.

1 Like

The difference here is from 2015 to 2017 we had 7 guys total drafted ( 4 on offense and 3 on defense). There were 4 of those that came from the 2017 team alone. That team finished 3rd in the conference and just barely scrapped out 10 wins. Can anyone here without a shadow of a doubt tell me there’s a future pro on this team with the exception of Collin Oliver, and possibly Kendal Daniels?

When you have proven commodities out on the field it’s easier to guess a winning total. Of course, I never thought the 2017 team would get their a$$e$ handed to them at home against TCU and K State. There always seems to be a surprise team or two every year in this conference. That’s why I’m not taking the schedule into account. Too many unknowns. If I had to guess though I’d say 9-4 is the ceiling here. If Gundy finds a way to 10 wins I’ll have my Gundy avatar on full display for next season.

1 Like

Personally, I think if you want to have a QB to stay healthy you should invest in an offensive line. That’s just my two cents.

2 Likes

Let me ask you something last year who in the big 12 had the best offensive line.

1 Like