Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State Hiring Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-state-hiring-defensive-coordinator-derek-mason/

On his experience and OSU’s commitment to defense.

1 Like

Who’s he bringing with him (players)?

1 Like

2-4-5? That sounds like a type of nickle defense or a option attacking defense. I hope we keep the 4-2-5. My favorite defense for years and years.

4 Likes

Since we have no returning linebackers 2 4 5 would have alot of people learning new stuff.
He is supposed to be stick with the 4 2 5

2 Likes

I was thinking that too. Might be another 3-4 years for greatness again on defense. Might as well run 3-3-5. I think it’s better than 2-4-5. I’ll wait to see I guess.

I wish him the best, and hope he continues where knowles left off. I, too, have read that he has to implement knowles system, but will be allowed to make some tweaks. I’ve also read on numerous articles that his strategies are a bend but don’t break system. I hope the latter isn’t the case…

4 Likes

Alot of guys have left. No matter what we run the depth is hurting.

1 Like

Yea we tried that bend but don’t break with Spencer. We would have to score 50 a game with that defense. Hope he starts off with the same Knowles ran

2 Likes

I’m just glad he went with an outside hire. Glenn Spencer ended up being a disaster and Gundy went after Knowles. It’s looking like Dunn isn’t quite up to par for the OC job as of right now.

Mason not an inside hire. But boynton is.

1 Like

I hated Bill Clay’s 4-2-5. Mainly because we didn’t have the horses to make it work. Thus it routinely got roasted.

I would be excited about this hire except for the fact that we have had so many good guys on defense jump ship lately. No matter what his schemes happen to be, he has to have enough talent for the plays to be successful. But maybe his hire will close the escape hatch known as the portal.
Robert mentioned lack of depth. Without talented depth we can’t substitute as much and therefore our defense will get worn down in the second half. I wish the football season would hurry up and start because I am tired of watching our terrible basketball team.

1 Like

The article he referenced says he used the 2-4-5 to counter the uptempo offense. It doesn’t require hands in the ground so they don’t take as long to get set. So, sounds like the extra linebacker is really just a stand up rushing lineman.

1 Like

I understand. It’s primarily used for the option attack and passing game from what I know. It has it flaws mainly the run game but Knowles made it to where it could stop the run effectively which got me even more fascinated with it. Also it’s for smaller and quicker guys like we have. If we could get guys like Bama I think we’d probably go to the 4-3 or 3-4. I wasn’t a fan of us running the 4-3 cause of talent at the time. I like a Nickle defense with hybrid position players for what most teams like to do on offense these days. I’ll give this guy a couple or few years before I complain a lot.

Kinda reminds me of the leach days at tech where on the offensive line where they just stood to block due to their size.

2 Likes

LMAO!!! :cowboy_hat_face: :rofl: :rofl:

“Gundy has earned a reputation for uncovering unknown, or at least unheralded, assistants and handing them the reins to either his offense or defense.” :upside_down_face:

Our illustrious and even appreciated HCMG has earned a reputation for overpaying inexperienced puppets. Of all the good things for which Coach Gundy has a reputation, uncovering unheralded assistants should not be one of them. Next thing you know, Gundy will have a reputation for staying aggressive on offense with a lead, instead of getting so conservative that defeat is ‘snatched’ from the jaws of victory. lol

GO POKES!!! Welcome to Stillwater, Coach Mason. (sorry, Joe Bob… some of us believed in you)

1 Like

Leach was a master at making the most of what he had on an offensive line. Just get in the way… less than 2 seconds needed to get the ball out!!

1 Like

The one thing consistent in college football is change. How Ironic.

Not sure if Mike can multi task but he needs to get some one to get some depth in the portal in a freaking hurry. He runs on gundy time.

I think he has just enough talent to be bowl eligible and that’s all that matters.

1 Like