Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State Hiring Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason

Some think that way on this form for sure.

Same here.

1 Like

Very very true

I wish him well. Personally I wouldn’t have minded Joe Bob cause I think he’s hungry, he wanted the gig and he’s young. We shall see if this was the right choice but I would think/hope Mason will be good at recruiting!

3 Likes

Yeah, cause a lot of the time those do indeed BREAK! :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

I heard Dunn does NOT have free reign to call the plays he wants. I don’t see much difference in play calling for the last 10 years. I seriously doubt he would stick to those base plays we call 90% of the time, attack the middle???

1 Like

I don’t think people quite understand the difference in atmospheres in relation to Auburn and Oklahoma State. Derek Mason took the easier path that will pay him more. If he’s a good recruiter and keeps up with his past resume his success will be better for future reference at OSU compared to Auburn.

At OSU he’s not stuck playing against Saban and Bama every year. In the future the SEC will get tougher top to bottom while the Big 12 will get weaker. The path to conference championship games SHOULD be easier than it would be in the SEC. He doesn’t have to try nearly as hard.

Auburn’s fan base is more passionate about their football program than we are. They weren’t satisfied with just any bowl game. Why do you think Malzahn got chit canned? And that dude was 3-5 against the greatest coach in college football history!!! Derek Mason could already see the writing on the wall. A fan base that may expect more than what he might only be able to provide them.

1 Like

This forum is starting to read like FoxNews.com commenters – all negative, all the time.

Kasey Dunn? He just pulled a student-athlete out of a burning vehicle. He can call plays or not call plays for me for the rest of his life. We’re lucky to have him.

Derek Mason? We don’t know, but I’m impressed with what he did last year at Auburn and I feel good about the defense. Bring it, Big 12!

Mike Gundy? His coaching tree is getting wide and deep. He deserves credit for being innovative and creative.

Pistols firing, baby…August can’t get here soon enough…

8 Likes

On face value, getting a guy to make a lateral move from Auburn to OSU is a major, major thing. Getting a Coordinator from that Conf, at that school, to come to Stillwater is a positive sign for the Cowboy program. Who know what kind of Defense he’ll play, but that is a big feather in the cap for OSU

3 Likes

I just hope he sticks around.

1 Like

Unless you ask Joe or AR.

2 Likes

I would think Joe and AR (the negative commenters) were more of the https://www.cnn.com/ type.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t believe any OC since Holgy and Monken, both of whom were known to tell HCMG to get off the headset as autonomy in play calling was part of their deal, has had free reign to call plays. Yurcich surely didn’t.

(Side note, since learning of Zac Robinson’s coaching status with the Rams, I have this secret fantasy of Zac coming back to oSu as OC and eventually HC when Gundy does retire…)

Just a :cowboy_hat_face: and his dreams. lol

1 Like

As a commenter who can easily be perceived as negative at times, I can appreciate your stance. I also do agree with your take on our overall good fortune to have Coach Dunn. I would love to see what happens if ever given aforementioned free reign. jmho

I do consider Gundy’s tenure to be the most impressive in oSu football history. However, if you walk out into your yard and find a mushy muddy wet spot between your house and city/rural water hookup, do you applaud the 199 feet, 11 inches of perfectly performing line, or do you address the one inch that is saturating the ground??? (…and running up your bill!!)

Both positive and negative comments are a matter of perception and all can be appreciated and respected, well… most. The occasional putz in both camps can be tolerated.

GO POKES!! :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

By all accounts, Coach Dunn is a stand-up guy. He certainly put himself in jeopardy to rescue someone (he had no idea who it was at the time). That’s solid human being stuff. But, his job performance as a play caller has been less than stellar. That needs to improve, regardless of how good a man he may be.

4 Likes

Wow you couldn’t be more wrong (unless you were talking football)

I’m more of the Tucker Carlson fan, most of the rest on fox are a little too timid for me.

But was the wet spot from the water line or ur neighbors dog.

If u go around to every team there are wet spots.

2 Likes

Of course there are wet spots on every team. And every team with a fan blog in which they are discussed… I think ours was the water line, but possibly our neighbors to the south big dogging it!!

1 Like

I would love a better line but is it as bad as every makes it out.
It’s really hard to figure out how good or bad this offense is over the last 2 years with all the players in and out. One thing even with shane in as qb I think our high is 3 sacks. Our defense averaged 4 sacks.

The line gave up the least in the league. If u go to the other schools u will hear alot about offensive line talk. I know riley talked about it alot. Texas giving 50k. So it’s out there. A guy like hunter who thinks he can play, mite think he is going down in rotation will leave.

On depth we r just 3 down to last years numbers we have 1 more hs kids and get 2 in the portal we will be fine.

I hope dickey is get those big raw talent guys ready.
Joe did ok at center beside the Baylor nose tackle( was a beast). This juco kid could come in and start.

2 Likes

That cheerleader is, well, appealing.