Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 61-60 Loss to Southern Illinois

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-61-60-loss-to-southern-illinois/

On shooting and expectations moving forward.

How is it I could shoot a higher FT % than this team with a couple weeks worth of practice?

1 Like

And nothing has really changed from last year.

I think it’s time to find another HC.

Yea watched the game, not good.

I like our roster and believe we’ll start to figure things out offensively. I know this: we can play defense and that bodes well when the calendar flips to '23.

2 Likes

Boynton needs to get his team better in the areas that needed to be addressed from last year and if he fails to do so by the end of the season it’s time for him to hit the door.

1 Like

I was a terrible free throw shooter in high school. But, a small school with few ‘good’ (albeit not great by any means) athletes, I knew that I would be playing.

I get to oSu and the Colvin Annex pickup games were rostered by… ??? you guessed it, shooting free throws!! I loved basketball and when I realized that I would not be playing in pick up games unless I could make free throws, I went back to what I didn’t listen to in high school, worked on my form and technique and became 90% or better from the line, after shooting less than 50% in high school. Yeah, I have character flaws. lol

Point being, unless you are a rim protecting shot blocker… (anyone else remember Leroy Pittman??) you ride the bench and are played sparingly if you aren’t 80% or better from the line in practice. jmho…

GO POKES!!! :basketball: :cowboy_hat_face: :basketball: :cowboy_hat_face: :basketball:

So much for making fun of OU for losing to Sam Houston State…….

1 Like

Looks like the same team as last year. Come down the floor dribble for 5 seconds and then throw ball towards basket. If there is a planned offense it is difficult to see.
I see a below .500 year coming up.

1 Like

Shouldn’t have extended him. He’s never done anything worthy of an extension. Too expensive now, stuck with him.

1 Like

Great recruiter, but can’t coach. Let’s bring in an Eddie Sutton player that understands not only tough D, but knows how to coach an offensive set…and prioritizes free throws and rebounding. Where everyone on the team knows their role, but busy their butts on the defensive side.

1 Like

Doug Gottlieb was begging for the job.

2 Likes

Hopefully all the new guys coming in next year can hit a dang free throw. Very upsetting loss.

1 Like