Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 70-54 Win over Kansas State

Need to just look how good a team gets from start to finish that’s it. His teams seam to start off hot and hit a wall and towards the end get hot so not much consistency his the years he’s been the coach.

My biggest criticism of his in game coaching is managing momentum swings and making sure every lineup he ends up with managing fatigue and foul situations has a scorer on the floor at all times!

Too often he seems clueless to swings in momentum and the use of timeouts to try and break them. He seems to want to wait for media timeouts and can blow big leads before they come. In addition, he doesn’t use timeouts to refocus the team when we go multiple trips down the floor with no shots getting earned or enough valuing the possessions to give us a chance to score!

His substitutions sometimes leaves him with some lineups with no shooters on the floor. Inevitably, we go several trips without scoring or getting good shots until he subs again.

I think he sub to much. He cant keep his players focused. When the set up an offense, they do good. To many times they just come down and shot, not good when the other team is in a run.

Agreed. I used to love when Eddie would call a timeout in the first two minutes of a game to chew the team out and get them back on track. He was so much fun to watch.

1 Like

You’re cherry picking to make a point. First of all, OSU has only had 3 coaches with more than a season as HC in the past 3 decades (unless you want to consider Sean a head coach I guess). For half of that it was Eddie Sutton, one of the greatest coaches of all time and a HOFer. Second, How many coaches do you think have won ONE SINGLE tournament game total in the entire 100+ year history of Oklahoma state basketball? 8? 9? 10?.. 3. And one was Travis Ford. Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton are the others. Those two have basically all the success this program has ever seen. I’m not saying Boynton is on their level because he’s nowhere remotely close to it, but trying to make it seem like this is a gawdy program that Boynton has ruined is nowhere near accurate. Third, he finished 7th and started the conference tourney with a win last year before CoVID with Cam Mcgriff as his best player lol. He did not have a star studded roster by any means. And 7th seems bad, but it carries more weight when you’re relying on Lindy Waters and Thomas Dizzy to win you games in the hardest conference in America. 4th, and most importantly, he’s one game out of 4th right now in a league where half of the teams are in the top 15 nationally and will get there if he wins tomorrow. So to say he and OSU are the worst in the conference is a little (and by little, I mean emphatically) over-exaggerated.

1. I never said this was a “gawdy program that Boynton ruined.” I have a realistic view of where OSU is and where it should be as a program. Boynton took over a slightly underachieving program and made it worse. To me (and feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong), OSU is a program that should expect to make the NCAA Tournament almost every year, and make a run to the Sweet 16 or beyond every 3-4 years. If that is the expectation, Boynton is woefully failing.

2. A 7/10 finish sucks no matter how you spin it. Boynton had two years to get guys in place who were better than McGriff/Waters/Dizzy. He also could have worked with those three to improve their game. He did not do either one. Instead, the players he inherited stopped improving and he ran off the players he brought in.

3. The Big XII is the “hardest conference in America” because everyone else has found winning coaches. It ain’t like the Big XII is stacked with traditional powerhouses. KU is the only program that is miles ahead of OSU in terms of historical basketball success.

4. I never said OSU had the worst team in the Big XII. I think we are better than KSU and ISU. However, I do believe we have the worst coach. Can you really name a Big XII coach who you think his AD would trade for Boynton? Steve Prohm at ISU would probably be the closest, but he has been to a Sweet 16 and led Murray State to an NCAA Tournament win. I would take him in a heartbeat over Boynton.

You never said they were gawdy, but insinuated that OSU has fallen far under Boynton. They really haven’t. They’ve been about where they’ve been in every non-Eddie or Henry- coached season OSU has had. Again, only three OSU coaches have ever won a single tournament game, so saying they should make the sweet 16 every 3-4 years is like saying the football team should make the playoffs every 3-4 years. I do agree they should be making the tournament more than they are, but give him until March at least. This is the first time he’s had a team full of his own players (just so happens to be the best rated group in OSU history). If he can’t win with them, then he has a problem. But this season hasn’t gone like others, and still has a long, long way to go. Also, I disagree about his players regressing. Lindy waters is the only one who id say regressed, he had an awful year. Cam, Dizzy, Ice, all those others have improved. By the way, regardless of if every other team has good coaches or not, even in a metaphorical league where all 10 coaches were 1st ballot HOFers, one has to finish last. Let’s give Boynton more than 2 1/2 seasons as a HC before we start comparing him to the Bill Self’s, Scott Drew’s or Chris Beard’s of the world.

McGriff did not improve. If anything he got lost. He should have been the main focus but was I don’t know what he was

Cam McGriff stats freshman and sophomore year-

6.1 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.4 BPG, 0.6 SPG

CaM McGriff stats Junior and Senior year-

12.3 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0.5 BPG, 0.9 SPG

Also went from 3.1 ppg, to 9.0, to 11.7, to 14.2 ppg during conference play through his 4 years.

Also averaged 22 ppg, 8 rpg, and 2 rpg on 60% shooting over their last 7 games on that big run to end the year last season.

Seems like improvement to me.

I also don’t think he should have ever been their main focus. He wasn’t a sound shooter, just athletic. If anything, that’s a knock on the 2016 recruiting class by BU (maybe Ford? Cant remember). Either way, he ended up having to be the guy with Ice’s mono and Lindy god awful senior year and I thought he did so well. A huge reason they won all those games at the end of the season.

He was not and never was a 3 point shooter. But high post yes

My whole point isn’t that Boynton has been great, he hasn’t. But just wait and see how he finishes his first year with his own roster and then we can judge. I completely agree that if he doesn’t make the tourney (NCAA allegations permitting) that he should be in big trouble with the guys he has, but the season hasn’t been a lost one, and isn’t anywhere close to over yet. He’s still one game out of 4th in a league that covers a third of the top 15 nationally and all three loses came in games that OSU handled for the majority against great teams. If they get closing issues fixed, they’ll be a real tough team to beat.

Yeah, he wasn’t a great shooter for sure. It was funny how often he managed to bank in 3 pointers, more than anyone I can remember.

He fit the mold of some athletic players that would have been better under sutton

He would have been awesome under Eddie. Exactly the type of player he loved to have. He had a tough time in the more offensive oriented BU schemes and then was asked to handle the offensive load his last two years. He did okay, but I don’t think that’s the player he needed to be. Kinda stinks on the timing he had.

1 Like

“They’ve been about where they’ve been in every non-Eddie or Henry coached season.” This is wrong. Ford and Underwood combined to make the Tournament 6/9 seasons. Boynton has missed as many NCAA Tournaments in 3 years as Ford missed in 8. Even with our underachieving coaching post-Eddie, making the Tournament is the norm and is the minimum expectation.

“Let’s give Boynton more than 2 1/2 seasons.” This is also wrong. He has been here 3.5 seasons, which is more than enough time in my book.

“Saying we should make the Sweet 16 every 3-4 years is like saying the football team should make the playoffs every 3-4 years.” I can tell you are a smart dude, and so I know you know this is ridiculous. To illustrate, in the past four post-seasons, there have been 3 Big XII teams make the CFP (OU all 3 times). However there have been 11 Big XII teams make a Sweet 16 (Texas Tech twice, Kansas thrice, West Virginia twice, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Baylor).

We can agree to disagree on whether Ice, McGriff, and Dizzy showed improvement, but I would point to your previous post using their poor play as an excuse for Boynton’s losing as evidence that they did not improve much.

:man_shrugging: