Football 2019 Thread

Anyone see James Washington’s give away on twitter? Tv, grill, and most importantly 4 tickets to the TU game. It’s easy work to get registered to win

Has anyone else noticed how many similarities we have with our first few opponents?
Oregon State- Orange and Black, both are OSU
McNeese St- we’re both the Cowboys
Tulsa- Both Oklahoma Teams
Texas- Both are Orange (we even used to be the same shade!)
This isn’t attempting to say anything, just thought it was kinda interesting when I noticed them all at the same time.

2 Likes

Can we never schedule McNeese again?

2 Likes

Or any non D-1A schools

Was yelling at an A&M friend about this today. I hate these games. Might as well not even play!

That being said happy changes seem to be coming. Love the Tulsa series, sure it’s only Tulsa but it’s local can attend the game every year. V hyped about the Arkansas series’ coming. All in on the road trips to Tempe and Eugene.

If we could quit scheduling McNeese and replace them with Nevada, North Texas, utep, etc. mcneese is just so so so bad.

1 Like

What’s the difference between playing a good FCS team and a horrible FBS team? Not much. Playing an FCS team does serve a purpose (financially for them). It allows them a chance to hire a good coach and move up (Appalachian State). If things go well, we get to see a lot of our young players. If you don’t enjoy seeing our recent recruits in action (and you can’t spin that to get clicks) are you really a fan? One FCS opponent is OK, but any more is ridiculously stupid. But an extra home game that is a (supposedly) gimme, a tune up, hopefully less injury averse, a show case of young talent, an opportunity to pad early season stats: sign me up!

3 Likes

I guess it is all about what you’re here for. I’m here to be entertained. This matchup is not entertaining. All of the reasons you lay out are good for Gundy and the team. They are not good for me, a consumer.

1 Like

Just what I was going for.

I’m obviously joking and I think some folks think that I’m being serious, which makes it that much better for me.

3 Likes

90% of that was 100% serious. Lol

1 Like

I’m definitely not a fan of playing the McNeese’s of the world, but it is nice for Sanders to get an opportunity to lean into the starting role for 3 games before facing UT. I’m sure sure Dru will play Saturday but I would like to see Spencer get as many in game reps as possible.

Talked to someone about Bundage. Sounds like a lot of it is ambiguous, which makes sense considering his start-and-stop beginning to the year. It’s a back issue, and my source thinks he’s back next week against Tulsa, but it’s the type of thing that could be week to week all year. Like Kendall Hunter that one year (09?).

3 Likes

Does anyone have any idea why Antwine is out?

It’s starting. The narrative to get 3 SEC teams into the playoff begins before the blood is dry on week 2.

1 Like

Ugh. That conference can cannibalize itself and CFB would be better off for it.

Problem is it keeps the top teams from playing each other across divisions. I suppose Auburn could upset somebody… Hell A&M could beat Georgia and it wouldn’t shock me… But they’re starting the narrative early to excuse any possible loss to get more SEC teams into the playoff.

And… Frankly… If it keeps OU out then I’m 100% cool with it.

2 Likes

That’s a very good point, although it has been delightful to watch OU go down in flames every time they hit the Playoff. Still, keeping them out is even better.

But what if our offense catches fire and our defense steadily improves with some timely turnovers and manage to win the conference title. Then 2 SEC teams in the playoff would really suck. Especially if it were Alabama and LSU.

They actually do a decent job of matching up the historically good teams with the permanent cross division rivals, Georgia - Auburn and LSU - Florida. The problem is Alabama’s long standing rival, Tennessee remains a dumpster fire.

Georgia and Alabama will meet in the regular season next year though.

I accepted long ago that if there’s an opportunity for OSU to get screwed out of something in college football, it will happen. There is no doubt in my mind that one loss LSU / Georgia / Ohio State would get into the playoff over an undefeated Oklahoma State.