Football Recruiting Thread

Dabo got to the same level and struggled so much to break through, Clemsoning was a thing. Then FSU began it’s decline and they took advantage.

The real fear I see is that if OU enters a decline, we aren’t the team positioned to take advantage now.

3 Likes

I’m in no way discounting what Gundy has done, but we’ve been at this level now for sometime … and might be slipping back some. Shouldn’t the consistency, the facilities and our culture have started to improve our recruiting at least some? We have done an amazing job finding kids that fit and letting Glass do his thing, but again, shouldn’t we be bringing in consistently higher rated classes?

Why does Tech, Iowa state, Baylor etc get higher rated kids?

Can we not appreciate what we’ve done and yet all agree that this momentum should have led to at least an occasional spike here and there?

I’ve seen multiple posts on recruiting grounds, but I fail to see how Clemson has demonstrable advantages in geography. We’re as close to Texas as they are Florida, with less competition for that talent. We have St. Louis, Kansas City and Memphis - which are all as close as Clemson is to say Orlando.

If everyone is okay with an 8 win average, with occasional spikes, then never mind. I’d like to see us take that next step is all I’m saying. We’ve built a base that should allow us to take more ground. This isn’t 15 years ago. I think it’s a fallacy to point to where we were. We need to be pointing to where we are and at least considering that our forward momentum has stalled … and we aren’t going to take the next step without classes that contain consistently more talent.

1 Like

This is true, and it’s unfortunate that there’s not a recruiting hotbed four hours from Stillwater with daily direct flights.

11 Likes

We’re elite? I think we’re Iowa. How many years of being at our current level, without competing for a big 12 championship is enough? I’m not unappreciative of what Mike has done - I’m saying again! We have to stop thinking we are what we were and start recognizing we have everything we need to take the next step, and expect it.

Clemson is in between North Carolina and Georgia though. South Carolina has enough talent alone but being between Atlanta and Charlotte (pretty sure the fastest growing metro in the country) is way more advantageous than where Stillwater is.

1 Like

DFW is fine for receivers and quarterbacks. Atlanta produces linemen and running backs that makeup a solid portion of people in those positions in the NFL.

Joe Defo had us recruiting Houston and Wickline had us recruiting East Texas, where the real big talent in the state comes from… DFW is nice… But since we’ve lost those guys, we just haven’t had the same results in the more important position groups in the state.

Also… Since 2007 it has been a requirement for all but one national champion to be within four hours of Atlanta.

3 Likes

I think you meant 2008? LSU won the 2007 season NC.
Ohio state won the 2014 season NC

Mizzou just fired their coach . Were they that bad? What are the expectations there, winning their division? League ? He’s got a winning record there and they were in a bit of a mess before he took over .
Just looked at their record- losses to vandy and the vols… yeah that’s not good. They’re also on a bowl ban. Will be tough for the next coach .

1 Like

25-25 I heard Gameday say.

@kyleboone Do you have a number on the recruits in town? I saw earlier that around 30-40 would be here.

Yeah just looked it up . Not terrible with what he inherited .

1 Like

Actually it does in that they are able to not have the level of attrition that other schools have. By not playing as many hard games they also have a much lower chance of injury as they can rest the starters more. I mean look at us this year losing two stars or Bama losing a Heisman caliber QB or even OU losing Sermon and others. Clemson has not really lost guys and rarely does so they have an advantage toward getting the title.

It seems that almost every tome we reach into a new area for recruiting (Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, California, and CANADA) it pays off in a HUGE way. Jelani, Rudolph, Hubbard, Amen, Shane, Harper. You get the point. I would like to see more in state recruiting mixed with more recruiting from “SEC” territory and the west coast. Some guys from Texas that seem to be “throw ins” at the end of a class could possibly be better served being from one from the previously listed.

2 Likes

Geography, folks… Clemson is less than 2 hours from Atlanta. Stillwater is 4 hours from Dallas. So you’re only 100% off here.

1 Like

What is the next step? Being Clemson or OU? Because the reality is we do not have everything we need to be them and likely never will. We may have a team every 4 years or so that can compete at that level for a year, but we can’t do that year in and year out. That’s just the reality for a school like OSU.

1 Like

It’s essentially the same thing. I grew up an hour from Charlotte but went there about as much as I go to Dallas. Things are more spread out in the west.

That being said, there’s more around Clemson including Atlanta.

You honestly think two hours extra of driving would create such a drastic difference in recruiting? That’s a inconsequential difference to most people.

1 Like

Anyone arguing oSu recruiting in the top 25 is not a reasonable expectation? If so what limitations are present to prevent this from consistently happening 2 of every 3 classes?

4 Likes

Absolutely nothing is holding us back other than effort and intent. I went and did some research on 247, and here are the schools who finished 21-30 in recruiting last year:

Stanford
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Mississippi State
Purdue
Virginia Tech
Miami
Arizona State
Wisconsin
North Carolina

Whether you put weight in recruiting or not, that is not a group of schools that we should ever be behind in anything related to football. Wisconsin is the only one on our level, the other 9 we are miles ahead of and should be getting better talent than.

2 Likes