Football Recruiting Thread

LD Brown (who you just talked down as trash) and Chuba. Two recruits. Singleton had Hill on board before he left.

7 Likes

I have long held the belief that if a kid is a top 100 Texas player, there’s a great chance he will turn out to be a good one for the Cowboys. And that has pretty well held true.

7 Likes

I don’t believe anyone was complaining about recruiting for the all academic team. Last I checked it was a football recruiting discussion. Why even bring academics up except for the enjoyment of calling people stupid?

3 Likes

Liked for the Dag Nabbit.

2 Likes

If yall don’t think that the NCAA ruling allowing athletes to monetize their likeness does anything but cement OSU in the 30+ range in recruiting rankings, I’ve got some ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell you.

7 Likes

When you aren’t around I do my best to be the substitute and I fail miserably

1 Like

Has it? I’m not saying it hasn’t, but I just randomly picked 2017 and looked at OSU’s top-100 guys from Texas.

Tylan
Tracin
Greenwood
McCune
Morton

So that’s one star and … not much else. I do think Texas has a glut of studs, but I don’t know that this proves the point.

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned from discussing OSU football recruiting… if you’re below 6ft/below 200lbs and fast, play running back or wide receiver… then you are in fact Tyreek Hill. This will make all my comps going forward much easier now that I can just drop players into that bucket.

20 Likes

I would hope so.

4 Likes

Now do the other 98 percent of 3-star players OSU has gotten. Saying “Blackmon, James and Rudolph!” proves the broader point. The odds say @kyleboone is right about this and that @Helper is wrong. That doesn’t mean that’s how it’s going to play out – Nixon might turn into a star – but if I’m betting on it, more often than not a three-star RB isn’t going to do much of anything in the Big 12.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone noticed this but Nixon has been talking a ton about his family connections to OSU and coming home and following the traditions… Who is he related to that went here? Athlete or just student?

3 Likes

Not a big fan of calling a kid you don’t know anything about a turd. That’s my point.

6 Likes

Dad played football, and mom was an athlete, just dont remember what, lol.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for hours and I couldn’t find anything. Happy to have one of our own come home

1 Like

When the RB room is stacked with talent you can take players that need time to develop. Plenty of 3 star talent at Clemson to go with ample 4-5 star impact guys. Woz has not really stacked up talent since his arrival so the cupboard could use a couple of D1 ready players. They could also use a couple of players to develop as a couple of those development guys they had been developing left or are graduating.

1 Like

I won’t allow your facts to get in the way of my opinion Kyle. Won’t stand for it. Haha.

Those were 5 of the top 8 recruits that year. In a class of 22, I don’t think you would ever say that your top third of recruits weren’t worthy of a scholarship. Maybe some of those should be in the bottom third of your class and not the top third, but I think it still stands that if a top 100 Texas player fits your system and culture, in general, that is a good pickup.

I feel the same way about top ten Oklahoma kids. Most years anyway, some years are a little weak. But mostly top ten Okies and top hundred Texas kids will make for a good class. Sure, you have some busts no matter what. That 2016 class looks like about half busts, which should probably be no surprise coming off the 2015 season.

1 Like

This is exactly what bothers me about the ‘stars don’t matter’ crowd. It’s always Washington, Blackmon and Weeden, or whomever else you go back in time and hand pick to make your case.

Also, for reference, I’m not a die hard ‘stars matter’ truther. I think they do, but I’m not crazy about it. I just can’t stand this one particular method of debate from the other side. It blatantly ignores the 98% of evidence against their argument.

3 Likes

Dad was on the football team in 94-95. Mom was a long jumper on the track team. Sounds like a great addition.

4 Likes

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. I don’t think he was calling him a turd, it was just an unfortunate phrase used when talking about this general profile of a ‘type’ of recruit.

But on this sentiment, yes agreed.

5 Likes

**Warning - Painting with a broad brush alert!

After scrolling and reading all the fire from the past 24 hours, I think there’s a general disconnect here.

Side A : The frustrated side is frustrated because it seems the majority of the time there’s a new commitment, a quick glimpse at the offer list shows we grabbed him instead of his other offer of Sister Mary’s School of the Blind (Sorry Sister Mary). So either Gundy is trying to be too cute, and not going after people he should go after, or he is going after those people, but the only commits we are securing are the ones with the underwhelming offer list. Either one of those is a problem.

Side B : Defending the kid himself, and pointing to various recruiting sites and stats saying Gundy knows what he’s doing and that his ranking is higher than we think.

Side B potentially being correct here does not discredit Side A’s point.

I tend to side with Side A honestly. But it doesn’t really bother me too much anymore because I’m resigned to it. It’s not changing.

I WILL say though, that with OSU’s current recruiting strategy, it has completely removed any and all excitement from OSU recruiting. We get a new commit, ok yea great. Don’t care. Don’t click on it, don’t read it. You never know which of the mid 3 stars will turn into studs, and which you’ll never hear from, so why bother?

It’s just one aspect of the game I have zero interest in (with the obvious very few exceptions) and that’s just an unfortunate byproduct of the current strategy.

11 Likes