Former Oklahoma State Quarterback Shane Illingworth Commits to Nevada

There has been alot of talk about gundy going out his way to not show favoritism. Which is fine since Sanders will be the starter. Gunnar moves up. I’m happy with the new recruit but he isn’t a 100% world beater. Just saying he had some rough games but we will see what plays out.

1 Like

Exactly my experience as well. Felt Illingworth might be better, even though I was hopeful after Sanders’s Cheez It Bowl, but Shane looked meh in action.

1 Like

Good luck, no shots taken. May you have a out standing career behind a offensive line that will allow you style of offense to be played. I felt bad for him getting lit up. Still looking forward to Sanders having a breakout year next season. Next year will be like a junior year for him because of injuries and vivid. I’m fine with RPO or the blitzkrieg air raid that’s his style that fits him best. If the offensive line can be even 25% better next season I’m fine with pro style as long as the running back position is good and the defense can play half of what we where this year for next season.

I’m surprised we can still sign QBs given we may have 2 Gundys that will most likely play QB. My coach in high school his son was our QB. He had some talent but got injured a lot and had a slightly less than average arm. I sat QB 2 for 2 seasons but I was actually 3rd string because the sons best friend played QB as well. He was slightly better than the Son but not skilled for our style of offense. When the Son got injured he started. We ran a K-State style of offense because our coach was K-State alum which I was suited to run. When I did get to play It was only for super long pass situations, hail mary, wild cat, or trick plays. Was happy I learned how to play defense just so I could start for 2 1/2 seasons. Anyway I didn’t mean to make this post about me. Just makes me wonder with a coaches son bound to take the QB1 spot soon how this might effect the other QB recruits choices to come here.

How will it effect our qb if Sanders stays 2 years.
I feel gunnar will have to be quite a bit better to start.
What I mean if they are even gunnar won’t start.
I feel there won’t be much difference between gundy and rangler. Gunnar is a lefty and been in the system. I have no idea if Thompson is in the running. It could be one year for the next 3. By then we will have another gundy.

1 Like

I think if Sanders has a decent season next year he should go pro. I would if I was him. I’m not a huge fan of lefty’s. I will intrigued too see what happens when Sanders leaves. Whoever takes over I hope the line can block and the Gundy boys can play if that’s the route we are taking. I think the boys played in a RPO system at Stillwater High.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind 2 mores years of Sanders if we call plays around his skill set. Id really like to see if he can’t play with a line that can block better too. I don’t think he can play pro style. But would like too with what he can do with a fully functional line or if he’d keep making mistakes with it.

1 Like

I know alot of people just look at results. That why Sanders gets a lot of blame. I’m not saying he has done wrong.
I hope with the group we got the have learned more and all do their parts better. U only need one bad play to kill a drive.
I saw a bunch of bad play bad 1 player.
First of the year penalties, poor block by recievers, running back in the way of Sanders, poor routes, and dropped balls.
They did get better. Sign. Yes they could run up tempo.
Up tempo needs everybody on the same page. It’s a good sign for next year. They will 3 or 4 new guys but nothing like this year.
Rangel mite be set to redshirt any way. I would feel confident with gundy running the offense. He got a year to catch up on the speed of the game and yes he knows this offense.

1 Like

Gunnar took a year off too didn’t he? A year to develop does good for a lot of guys .

1 Like

True Sanders has some bad plays but he also had game winning plays. You’re right we had whiffed blocks, dropped balls, running wrong routes but Illingworth sure wouldn’t have been better. I’m glad he had thick skin because most would have left other way fans bashed Sanders after the CC game. He shut down his Twitter after so many negative posts on his account. If we find a running back I think we will be close to this year

1 Like

Sanders is never playing in the pros. Maybe Canada.

I totally agree with you. These last few years I believe he’s given us the best chance to win unless proven other wise. I’d still go pro if I was if him only if I have a break out season. This coming season I kinda look at it as his first true junior year.

1 Like

I think someone will give him a chance. He has the other abilities other than the choices made throwing. Big arm, mobile, elusive, and can be very clutch. He’s very coachable and no personal issues. The problems you might have with or seen in him isn’t all his fault. probably conservatively 50% isn’t. Would you run a pro style offense with a line that can’t block with a RPO QB? Shane couldn’t. Cornelius could because he was mobile. I didn’t have a problem with Corn Dog either.

We haven’t had a offensive line since 2018. The other mobile QBs have done well in the past in the option and spread tempo with a average line but we weren’t great on defense. These last few seasons are really first for the pro style because of Jim’s defense. Our QBs play better in air raid and uptempo

1 Like

It’s probably slim but the NFL is going to a more dual threat QB…

The two Superbowl QBs are pocket passers. The NFL is a copycat league.

He has 4 years left. So he could show enough. I guess if their qb at Nevada get drafted then it would up his chances. My question is how good r his knees. Can he play a full 12 games. He is a lot like weeden.

1 Like