Game Thread: Iowa State 🏈

I agree drive counts are not the same. But you missed my point above. Rangel had more opportunities to win it outright the previous season when he was the ONLY option, and he did not seal the deal. Again, none of the current QBs are great. Gunnar has just played the best thus far, but “the best” ain’t good enough when you lose. I type this while streaming the Blitz online. Ironically, Dusty Dvoracek just said on the Blitz that Gunnar Gundy has played the best and looks to be the best option right now. So I don’t think it’s just Gunnar fans like myself making this observation.

Right now it all starts on the OL , none of the qbs seem to be in touch with any WR ? None seem to know what route to run anc truthfully most passes aren’t even close. That’s on Rattay and Dunn. I’ve defended Gundy a long time. I can’t anymore
He either gets it fixed ( doubtful) or Weiberg needs to grow a pair and get with the president and they fix it

If Dunn is calling Offensive plays, this is a Loss.

1 Like

We will never be able to evaluate the QBs until the offensive line is fixed. I went back and watched the replay of the game on ESPN Plus. I just watched the first three possessions of both OSU and USA. I focused on our Oline blocking on run plays, then rewound and watched our receiver routes on pass plays. I then watched USA online blocking run on run plays, then I watched USA receiver routes on their pass plays. OMG Its very apparent that USA was better coached. There blocking schemes were simple, but effective. they would quickly double team our front three DL with their OL and TE, then two OL slipped off and got to our LBs. This gave their RB a lane to get through between G and T. then they would mix in a pulling G to flood the T an TE gap for a power run play. The Pass routes were well designed to confuse our DBs and LBs by flooding an area then a few simple crosses with different routes for each receiver. I have to give it up to USA, it was a very well devised plan against us. I then went and watched our blocking schemes versus their same three man front. OMG!!! All we tried to do was single team each of their front three. We looked lost on who we were supposed to block! The few times we did pull a linemen it was slow to develop and our pulling linemen looked lost on who he was supposed to block and blocked the wrong person on defense filling the open gap. When I watched our receiver routes it was disgusting. In three possession we only ran one route devised to confuse their coverage. It was the crossing route that Bray dropped the pass that would have resulted in a TD. The rest of the routes just ran 5-10 yards down the filed and turned around.
Like I said I only watched the first three series of each team. I saw enough there to understand that this is not so much a player problem, but a coaching problem. Our players are not being put in schemes and situations where they can succeed. If our players had the USA blocking schemes and receiver routes then it would have been a much different result. If you have the ability to go and watch the game replay on ESPN Plus please LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION on what you see!!! Am I seeing this wrong?

8 Likes

Been at Ohio since 2005.

2 Likes

Agreed. If he’s worthy of the starting job he should have taken advantage of the chances he did have, even if they were limited this year relative to the others. Go take the job, don’t just get by and leave it to the judges.

He was the ONLY option because Gunnar was pissing his pants

5 Likes

I honestly don’t feel like, when we do run the ball, it’s been as bad as we think. So I dug into it. This is what’s hilarious / ironic about us constantly harping on how we can’t run the ball-

OG- 5.7 ypc
JN- 5.2 ypc
EC- 4.1 ypc

Those are all solid numbers. OG’s average is better than any RB OU has. It’s better than any RB Texas has. It’s a foot away from being better than any RB KSU has. He’s our best player and he’s averaging 6 carries per game. Nixon and Gordon had a combined 8 carries Saturday. EIGHT. Maybe the issue isn’t even that we can’t run the ball. It’s that we won’t. Too busy focusing on Gundy’s cute little QB carousel. Which digs a hole to where we only run it in situations where the defense knows exactly what we’re about to do.

3 Likes

I don’t think a couple starts mid-season as a true freshman counts as real opportunities

3 Likes

Gundy should not be on a D1 roster

6 Likes

Which, by default, means neither should either of the other two.

3 Likes

that does not by default mean anything, it means what it says

4 Likes

If Gunnar doesn’t belong on a D1 roster, and neither of the other two can separate themselves from him or play better than him on gameday, it absolutely means neither of the other two belong on a D1 roster.

Fwiw I’m not disagreeing about Gunnar.

2 Likes

Has Gundy said a word about continuing the carousel this week?

one is on the team because of his daddy

the other two are getting shafted by a moron of a coach who has ruined a programs momentum and several players growth

8 Likes

Gunnar is not good, at all. He panics and has happy feet. Sadly, Bowman is horrible too. He has PTSD and panics and throws ill advised throws or into the ground. We need to let Rangel play the rest of the season until he screws up. I still think he was pretty good in his only real action vs. UCA.

4 Likes

Agree. Have Rangel with the 1s all week, and stop rotating so many players in general.

5 Likes

I personally think Rangel is the only one worthy of D1 status. Bowman looks lost the majority of the time and caused a season ending injury to our best WR.

2 Likes

Truly think continuity with Rangel is our only path forward and chance for success. Bowman had me fooled after the ASU game, turns out ASU is one of the worst teams in the nation.

5 Likes

lol talk about a stretch

Bowman would have doubled our points in the first like 6 plays, and that throw was where our guy could get it and he did, just unfortunate hit and landing

2 Likes