Gary Wayne Harding New Oklahoma State Wrestling Volunteer Assistant

Originally published at: Gary Wayne Harding New Oklahoma State Wrestling Volunteer Assistant | Pistols Firing

Harding returns to Stillwater.

1 Like

I met Gary at 10 Gym Owasso the summer before he took off for Chapel Hill for his senior year. He’s a good kid and his father is a heck of a wrestling coach who recently resigned from Collinsville to return to the Kansas town where he’s from originally, forgot the name.

Wrestling is in Gary’s blood and will help us out for sure!

1 Like

Salina, KS is where he went: Wes Harding Steps Down at Collinsville - Owrestle

1 Like

Hope he helps a bunch. We HAVE to develop or recruit championship caliber wrestlers to compete. We haven’t sniffed a title in 3 years and it’s been 16 I think since we won one

1 Like

We really haven’t been competing for a natty since Kenny Monday left is stuck in my memory. Does that sound correct? UNC’s head coach, Coleman Scott, and assistant coach, Jamill Kelly, are both oSu guys.

1 Like

I think you’re right, lots of OSU guys doing good jobs coaching I don’t know when John leaves, I hope it’s on his own terms. I know he isn’t satisfied the way it is now. Hope when he does call if quits, we get a dynamic one

2 Likes

Yep Wrestling is way down and I’m not seeing anything going on to change that, in fact recent news continues to mostly trend downward. Coach Smith is the greatest wrestler ever but, as painful it is to say, as a coach it’s not looking so good.

1 Like

Welcome home Gary. Go Pokes!

2 Likes

Too many have upped their game, especially in the B10, John hasn’t recruited and portal guys and wasn’t wanting the NIL money until now. I hope he is able to leave on his own will

I don’t put all blame on John, some of the guys just haven’t panned out. Losing AJ hurts a lot as it probably means we have no shot at the youngest Ferrari, Angelo, who might be the best one of them all. Kinda weird, but then again probably not since AJ is toast as far as oSu, that Anthony, the middle one, is gone too, but there’s been plenty of things rumored that he also has some serious personality issues and sense of entitlement.

oSu needs to finish the wrestling-only practice facility. Isn’t there talk of using the old practice/rugby field to the east of Iba Gallagher for that? Seems like development is a bit of a problem and that is partially due to coaching, might need a coach that’s excellent with mental side of the sport because who in Oklahoma would’ve thought Fixx would have zero titles at this point in his life???

2 Likes

I agree there is some bad luck involved, AJ and Fixx as you have noted, but every program has an equal opportunity in that space so there is that. To win the NCAA you have to be good top to bottom and it hasn’t been that way recently nor do i see it presently. I certainly hope coach Smith can take the experience from the past and develop an new strategy to get things on track. Hopefully the OSU admin is providing the needed support as well.

2 Likes

Our guys seem to have problems getting up from being on bottom. Is it technique or a strength problem. ? We had what ? Two number one rated recruiting classes ? And we have got worse. I agree we have had kids not live up to potential, but that many ?? Something isn’t right , I know AJ was a cancer to the team last year. I’ve read everyone hated his asx. Let’s hope we get new blood in and take our rightful place at the top !!
Go Pokes :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Yea two years ago, I think, I was floored when Fixx got ridden what seemed like the entire match in the NCAA finals. I’ve no clue what things are like at the college level but do have some HS experience. Once thing that can hinder getting the escape is fatigue. if someone is tired enough it’s pretty easy to keep them under control. Now I can’t imagine that being the case with Fixx so I’ve no clue.

2 Likes

You hit it on the head !! A guy with the tools Fixx has, no way he should be ridden a full period. Penn St guys are great at riding and turning. …. I’m having a senior moment but the kid that transferred in from Northwestern got ridden a lot
That’s what I’m saying, maybe new blood in assistant’s will help. Fatigue shouldn’t be a factor from the grueling practices I’ve heard John has

1 Like

In Fixx’ case of not being real good at avoiding getting ridden out I don’t think it’s fatigue nor strength. The kid is extremely strong but maybe he’s a bit small for the weight class. That Penn State kid is very athletic and a bit longer than Fixx, but I think his last loss to that kid was in large part mental due to losing to him the first time. Working on that should be a high priority and not just for Fixx, you’re right too many guys can’t get escapes and thus give away riding time.

Maybe John needs to pay one of the best riders ever, Mike Sheets, to come over once a week and show the guys who to get out?

1 Like

Good post @teatown you are probably right about his mental condition. I don’t see us attempting many takedown in matches that are close. It’s a sit and wait which usually doesn’t work for us Mental Toughest !!
I hate saying that cause John had mental toughness out the wazoo