Gordon, Nixon Going to ‘Start Working In’ as Cowboys Search for Boost in Run Game

Originally published at: Gordon, Nixon Going to ‘Start Working In’ as Cowboys Search for Boost in Run Game | Pistols Firing

‘Dom is running good for us, but I’m concerned about his total carries.’

1 Like

What about Jackson the transfer from A&M? Is he hurt? I think he’s had one touch since gettin Eligible

1 Like

I was not aware that the A&M transfer was declared eligible. If so, that’s good news.
Speaking of news, of course, we are all mainly interested in football at this time of year. I am addressing this to the PFB writers. But there are other sports going on at the same time and they are not getting coverage on this site. Instead, we are getting a lot of rehashed quotes that we probably all have seen by watching Gundy’s press conferences. When there is a lack of new football news and space has to filled with ink about sports, I would prefer to see news about what is going on in golf and cross country; especially this season as we obviously are having an off season in golf, and are also not at the top in cross country. So it would nice to have some interviews with the golf and cross country head coaches to talk about their perceptions of their teams this season.
And what’s the latest scoop about some of the new guys on the wrestling team?
I’d like to see or read an interview with John Smith talking about what he sees in his new guys so far, and what he expects for this team, and what are his plans for closing the gap between oSu and PSU-Iowa? I would guess that his initial response might be, “First of all, we have to remain healthy.”

2 Likes

This is exactly what needs to happen. I think Gordon is ready to go off with more carries.

1 Like

Have Nixon practice catching the ball , he would have had a td if he catches the pass he dropped

2 Likes

Men’s golf shaping up for a rare down year. Got shut out in match play yesterday.

Would like to see the return of the diamond formation. Maybe we could have Nixon and Richardson – or even Nixon, Richardson and Gordon – in the game at the same time.

3 Likes

It’s a good move to get some other guys in and give Richardson a spell at times. He runs super hard and makes something out of nothing all the time. But, I don’t think the run game will improve until the scheme and playcalling improves. The run is most successful when the Cowboys spread the defense and run tempo offense. Faster, faster, faster is what makes the offense work.

2 Likes

Or have 2 RBs in the backfield, Dom and Nixon/Gordon, and 3 WRs.

There’s an old Don Meredith quote about former OSU/Dallas Cowboy Walt Garrison: “If it’s 3rd-and-4, you give him the ball and he’ll get you five yards. And if it’s 3rd-and-20, you give him the ball and, by God, he’ll get you five yards.”

That’s kinda where we are with Richardson. Hard runner and rarely gets tackled for a loss. But he’s not gonna break the big play.

3 Likes

Very true. Useful, but he’s probably not our every down back. I think Ollie will/could be. Nixon is an outside speed change of pace. Dom is the grinder.

Having multiple backs in at the same time would require that 2 out of 3 are strong enough and good enough to block some big guys charging into the backfield.

I think Dom can, for sure. I haven’t seen Ollie much as a blocker.

1 Like