Grades: OSU's Stumble in Regular-Season Finale Makes for Ugly Report Card

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/grades-osus-stumble-in-regular-season-finale-makes-for-ugly-report-card/

A clear-eyed assessment after another disappointing outing.

1 Like

Thank you for calling out the Gundy apathy at the end of this post. His cavalier attitude toward recruiting and his Assistants has really come home to roost this season. An utter humiliation.

1 Like

I have maintained the same consistent opinion of Gundy every year of his entire tenure. This year is no different:

1. Poor OL (DL also till Richmond arrived) recruiting (yes, even Wickline era)
  2. Unwillingness to ‘play’ MORE players (as strategy to limit injuries, develop players quicker, build depth and keep ‘fresh’ players on field at ALL times)
    Gundy’s overall #'s speak for themselves. However, Gundy does not embrace the concept of ‘change’ well at all in every aspect of his program.
1 Like

If a recruit is ‘determined’ to be D1 quality … then it’s highly likely they will be good enough to be ‘on the field of play’ to offer at least 25%(+) of relief throughout the course of a game in IMO

2 Likes

Wisconsin is about to pick up Fickel. Another one I would take over Gundy. All of these coaches out there and we are stuck with a slug on the sidelines that is well beyond his prime and will never achieve more than what we have now.

1 Like

Why doesn’t Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, etc etc ever deal with injuries. Is it poor preparation? Poor conditioning? Poor recruiting? Seems like we are always dealing with more injuries than most and it is a constant battle every year for us. It’s always an excuse… We would have beat Baylor last year but we were injured. We would have won more than 8 games this year but injuries killed us. Why??? Can we not recruit healthy players? Why is it always an issue? It’s as if the coaches are preparing them incorrectly.

1 Like

Ok Lil Cowboys, let me 'splain a few things to you.
This report card was kind and generous leaving out OLine and WR scoring. OL did have a few positive signs of life, and also stunk it up in the 1st half.
WR drops, even in the rain, were pathetic. CBSsports stats shows # targets per receiver. Our best and brightest not only couldn’t “go up and get” contested balls but also dropped wide open two handers.
Rangel would have earned an A+ if even the simple drops were made.

To put things in perspective, before all the injuries we were predicted to have a 8-4 maybe 10-2 ceiling of a season given our massive losses - RB1, WR1, entire D Secondary and LB’s. So stop the pizzing and moaning.

Athletic Department owns scheduling. No wizzing up their legs for accepting a Bye week before our first season opener? At least complain in the appropriate direction if you must complain.

3 Likes

Ok Lil ot. I don’t have time to explain 18 years to you but let start with the last 5. In the last 5 years we’ve lost 5 or more games 3 times. Now I don’t think we have to win 10 games every year and would be happy with a losing season once every 5 years of Gundy could win the conference once in a while. If you look at where Baylor was when Gundy took over and see what they have won in the last 10 years compared to what we have won.

OSU’s conference record over the last 5 years is 26-19. That averages out to about 5-4 per year. Average conference finish over the last 5 years: 4th.

1 Like

Which is equal to the average over 18 years. Nothing new here.

Couple things to throw on the fire:
3 stars are projected to be rotation players after development with the occasional starter.
4 stars are projected to be starters in year 2
5 stars are projected early impact players

Teams loaded with 4 stars essentially get 3-4 years solid playing time out of their roster (OU, UT). 5 stars should be get 4 years play out of them.

Gundy gets about 1 year of rotation play and 2 years starting. Call it 2.5 years.

Assuming the 85 scholarship players that breaks down to:
UT, OU - 3.5x85 = 73 players P5 ready
OSU - 2.5x85 = 53 players P5 ready
Or essentially 1/3 fewer players ready to play.

Sure, we can catterwail “recruit better”.

1 Like

Yep easy to say but real hard to do. Especially for a team like OSU, lots of headwinds going against us regardless of who is coaching.

2 Likes

I’ve read and heard Gundy say the portal will close and the NCAA will do away with the transferring with no restrictions on undergraduates … portal money is going to have limits, etc…. They have already started this bidding crap , who’s to say where it stops after it’s been wide open for a couple of years. NCAA screwed up and they know it. Will they be still in force when there are 4 super conferences ?

1 Like

Yea I heard him say that the other day and I sort of did a double take wondering if he really did say it. I wonder where he is getting his information regarding that?

1 Like

I’ve read that the NCAA is supposed to put limits on portal money , gifts etc… a kid can’t transfer without sitting a year unless you are a senior. They opened this bag of chit

1 Like

Ok so they are going to reestablish the “wait one year” rule.

1 Like

Speaking of the portal I ran across this on another forum and thought I would share here. These are not my words. This was written by Boscov79 on that other forum and it is compelling. "Imo, and I’ll state that again, this is my opinion/understanding of what Gundy has said, HCMG believes the majority of players in the portal have broken their commitment to their school and likely come with baggage. Not all, but he’s obviously predisposed to believe so.

Additionally, he’s concerned bringing in Portal players solely to upgrade over existing commitments will cause the players in depth chart already committed to Cowboy Culture to question their loyalty and commitment, potentially unsettling and/or uprooting the depth chart. These beliefs added to his belief the Portal rules changes will slow the Portal movement and mass exoduses soon.

Also, and I think this is the biggest issue HCMG has with the Portal, he is naturally resistant or slow to change. He does try to take the high altitude position and view for most things, the LTO affects. He is trying to preserve his Cowboy Culture, and OSU Admin has given him indefinite discretion to do so. Long term Injuries or Portal out may force his hand to use the Portal, but that’s the exception to his rule under Cowboy Culture.

JUCO players aren’t held to this standard, for a few reasons. They had to JUCO for grades, conduct or whatever, and a JUCO player isn’t held to that commitment because JUCO is traditionally viewed as a short lay-over, an acceptable second chance avenue. Much of this is HCMGs traditional views.

Grad Transfers have already fulfilled their commitments, so they are acceptable if needed.

I agree Portal should be utilized, but HCMG and OSU Admin have decided how they will traverse it. I don’t believe this will change unless winning football isn’t happening consistently. And even then, Cowboy Culture is the entire pitch, they may choose not to sacrifice it for any reason, they’ve bought into it 100%. That’s good and sometimes bad imo, but overall, for what HCMGs and OSU’s Admin goals are (7-5 or better and a bowl game, winning football playing good football for a long, long time, it is acceptable. "

1 Like

If the admins goals are 7-5 or better they’re grossly over paying for it.

1 Like

The portal will change a lil but just with windows.

For all those who want the portal, its a crap shoot more then high school. Gundy has used juco and grad tranfers well. Look at last years transfers. We got for. Brooks did nice. Casey was a complete lose had issues. I liked Jackson im not sure if he had a lose on run.

Go look on the portal data base. Look at 4 or 5 stars. Lots were kicked off, injured or did even play.

Take casey for example. Its not like we can call up usc and ask them about him. If they will give a good answer to help the kid.

We have relationships with hc and juco coaches. Also we have players that have played with some. Like nice and rangel.

We have got offers out already. Lineman on both sides. Im sure a lb and a saftey will be offered. I would not be suprised on qb if a good one pops up.

1 Like

It seems that Gundy goes after the injured players. That’s all we play with.