Grading the 2021-2022 OSU Sports Year

I saw this topic on another board - what does PFB+ think about this? How would you grade Oklahoma State sports for the 2021-2022 school year?

Here is my grading:

By Sport:
Football: A (Bedlam, Texas, Baylor, and Notre Dame WINS. 12 wins for the season. 1 yard away from an A+. 1 yard and another win away from an A+++, and 1 yard and 2 wins away from Iowa State being able to say they beat the eventual National Champion. Only the pain of that 1 yard makes this past year anything other than an A for any OSU fan. Seriously.)
M Basketball: C (This is the highest a 15-15 record can go. I pull the C from N_AA due to the draconian probation decision. I love Coach B. Better days are ahead.)
Wrestling: D (I love Cowboy Wrestling, but expectations are too high for a 13-4 dual record with losses to Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Iowa, and Missouri combined with a 4th place finish in the conference and a 14th place finish at Nationals to grade any higher than a D. Injuries, including AJ’s crash injury, were simply devastating to this year’s results. Once again - better days are ahead.)
Baseball: B (A 45-22 season record with series wins against the likes of Vanderbilt, Arizona State, ou, and Texas. Peaked in the Top 5 of the national rankings. Hosted a Regional. Big moments, but ultimately fell short of the goals.)
Softball: A (What a season. Expectations were high and the team finished with the best result in program history. The losses to Texas in the WCWS were, of course, painful. But losing your #2 pitcher late in the season and still making the run to the WCWS semi-finals was impressive. Looking forward to watching Cowgirl Softball take the next step.)
M Golf: B- (Like Wrestling, expectations for Cowboy Golf are always very high. 2nd in conference, winning a Regional, and 5th in Nationals is enough to earn a B-.)
W Basketball: D (Thanks to Coach Littell for leading Cowgirl Basketball through the years after the tragedy. There were many excellent seasons. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the coming years.)
W Golf: B (2nd in conference, 3rd in Regional, 19th at Nationals.)
M Tennis: C- (12-12 record.)
W Tennis: A- (20-6 record, 12th ranked, lost in round of 16 in National tournament.)
Equestrian: A+ (National Championship. What more can you ask other than NCAA recognition of this sport?!)
Soccer: C+ (9-6-2 regular season record and 1st round loss in conference tournament. Recent success drops this result into the C-level.)
M&W Cross Country: A (Both cross country teams won conference championships. Men’s CC was 3rd at nationals, women were 13th.)
M&W Track & Field: C (No significant results for T&F)

Overall: A-
It was crucial that we had one of our best football years in 2021 since we’re in the midst of a seismic shift in collegiate athletic structures (conference realignment, NIL, etc.). That weights the football results significantly. Combine football with an all-sports Bedlam Series win, a National Championship in Equestrian, and high-visibility strong showings in Softball, Baseball, and Golf and you have a very successful sports year. Wrestling was an anomaly, and I believe Basketball was as well due to the NCAA sanctions.

What did I get right and wrong???

11 Likes

Awesome review and can’t really disagree with any sport. Nice job. I did just see that we had a record-setting APR year so that definitely underscores your overall rating.

7 Likes

I should have added APR in my “Overall” summary verbiage. Great point.

Obviously I am not doing the internet correctly. I am supposed to post something outrageous to initiate argument, right? :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I disagree with most of your ratings, but didn’t want to be accused of bullying.

4 Likes

But if you’re not getting accused of bullying people on the internet are you really spending your time wisely?

2 Likes

Honestly, it’s pretty effing refreshing. We are so hard on ourselves because we all ALWAYS want better and we don’t take the time to appreciate what just happened. Good to look back and appreciate a top overall athletic dept.

But next year they better be better…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I expect a combined three NCAA national championships next year at a minimum. Gotta get the number up to 55.

1 Like

I think basketball should be a tad above C just based on what they went through and the fact that they should have made the tourney anyways (and considering that a NCAA tourney trip is like asking for a flying unicorn for OSU basketball), but other than that I think this is all pretty much spot on.

I could be talked into a C+ or B- for Mens Basketball. And a B or B+ for Men’s Golf.

Disappointed with golf, (how did the goons get good) wrestling by far the worst I’ve seen in years and it doesn’t look better to me. We signed a 5th place finisher from Iowa :roll_eyes:. Football was really good, it would have received the ++ from me with 2 more inches. Basketball has been stagnant for 3 years… run a play.

1 Like

4 years ago was basketballs worst record in almost 4 decades, so I’m trying to figure out why you chose the past 3 years…

Basketball is probably unfairly graded, at least by me, since we were so good in the 90’s and through 2007

2 Likes

Basketball can be changed overnight with the right players and coaching. You see it all the time. Do I like Boynton, you bet. He’s great for our school but he needs to up his game. No saying anything about firing him, just make the tournament. I know we would have been in last year without the probation

Grade the 2021-2022 OSU Sports Year
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

I will say I gave us a B. Any team getting a natty this year would have bumped us to an A

You missed the equestrian part in the original post then.

9 Likes

NCAA natty*

That’s called moving the goalposts. :joy:

8 Likes

Goalposts we’re always there. I wanna be able to hang 53-60 real soon!