Gundy Cold Take Thread

The question, I think, is not ‘can we do better’. It’s probably better to ask ‘how long will we waste elite talent’. Justice deserved better. Chuba does. Tylan does. Mason did. James did. We have had ELITE CFB talent and…nothing. To me, that’s more of a worry than ‘who’s next’.

I think that Holder should apply pressure to win on a championship level. Today and last season were not that.

1 Like

I think that going from the current ‘uh oh’ to ‘TITLETOWN’ isn’t reasonable, but a Big 12 title with the talent we have isn’t out of the question. And it is DANG sure reasonable to expect better recruiting than we have right now.

And I guess where I’m at is here: I’m frustrated that we are so indebted (financially and historically) to a coach that we have zero motivation to look forward to the future. I’m frustrated that someone who for the last season and this one (and 2014 and…) has underperformed in all areas is continuing to get paid and raises, despite flirting with other schools. I’m frustrated that there is no penalty for doing poorly which means no reason to improve.

Can we do better than gundy?

Probably not.

Which is why this thread exists and it’s so frustrating.

For all of you saying we can’t do better…LSU canned Miles and retained Orgeron and they are doing just fine. He certainly wasn’t a splash hire, but he brought something to that program that miles hadn’t.

I will admit that ‘different’ isn’t always ‘better’. But right now we have piss-poor recruiting for a school of our record over the last ten years, we are losing games that we should not be, we are not preparing players for games, we have an offense that is stagnating (aside from two players)…would different really be worse? Possibly. I admit that for sure. But we KNOW what we have here…and we know that nothing will change.

Let’s discuss the differences between LSU and OSU for a second.

First of all… Accepting a kid from Louisiana is close to impossible. Their transcripts are weird down there, and are most indecipherable… A lot of schools just completely lose grades for students. LSU works around this really well for top athletes because of course they do. OSU can do this too because a pulse is about the only admissions requirement for OSU… But it’s still a lot of hoops our staff has to work through.

Secondly… LSU is the biggest and best program in the Mississippi Delta, which produces some of the best offensive and defensive linemen in the nation every year… And most of them have the transcript issues discussed above. They’re from tiny towns in the middle of nowhere and they are bred to love the Tigers, so they go there. Oh, and they’re under the radar because they can’t go to camps… So you have to be dedicated to recruiting them, know the region, know the coaches… And they guard LSU like crazy.

LSU will allow the rest of their University to go bankrupt so long as the football program has the best of the best… And they like it this way. They spend a ton of money. They have a ton of resources. They will not stop for anything… Not even a state budget crisis.

LSU has multiple national titles across the history of college football. I know we claim one for 1945… But do you know the last team to win their first national title? Florida. College football is a game stacked to the biggest brands that have been successful across generations that have 80k+ stadiums. OSU is not that.

So while LSU can maintain success after Les… OSU has a much higher margin for not maintaining success after Gundy. Not saying it’s impossible… But it’s improbable.

2 Likes

Virginia Tech and Oregon have played for a title since Florida won in 1996. They lost, but they were 4 quarters away. Those programs are very much comparable to the Pokes.

I think this thread is a little premature for a game we lost by 10 with our redshirt freshman QB having 5 turnovers. Those turnovers made it extremely difficult on our D with field position as well. If he only has 2 turnovers we more than likely win this game and we are happy with an ugly win.

I’m on the boat that we’ll more than likely end up like a Nebraska or Arkansas if we fire Gundy. Could he be more motivated? Absolutely. Do I think this entire loss is on Gundy’s shoulders and he needs canned? No. If this trend continues throughout the season it will be of concern and then maybe we can start this discussion.

3 Likes

Neat. Call me when they win one. VA Tech is heading in the wrong direction since they encouraged their legendary coach to move on. Oregon got four good years with Chip Kelly. That must have been fun. Now they’re chasing that dragon and have had four coaches since.

4 Likes

Who are the candidates to replace Gundy if he is dismissed?

1 Like

A G5 coordinator with no college HC experience.

These folks can’t even handle paying a coach with top 10 results the 14th highest salary in college football… You aren’t getting anybody with a proven track record for less than $6m per year.

1 Like

Mike Norvell is the highest paid G5 coach at 2.6 million. I’d say anything over 3 could get you someone that would make the jump.

Arroyo

LOL! He’s terrible! Oh cool he recruited a running back. Go look at Oregon’s playcalling the last two years and their production. He’s not good at playcalling. And there’s zero evidence that he can manage a program.

3 Likes

I don’t mind his contract. I just don’t like losing games we should win and getting our tail kicked in Bedlam every year.

He can recruit and he’s got a Heisman candidate at QB this year. Gundy can advise him in a CEO role perhaps.

Yeah, Arroyo would be a bad hire. Scott from Clemson, though…

At least Les went into Bedlam with fire. Nothing like going into Norman knowing we’ll lose every time much less when it happens in our own house.

I more or less said Arroyo because Chuba was the only person doing anything today but I’ll roll with it because I’m sick of losing.