Hoops Game Thread: Kansas at Oklahoma State

What we thinking?

That I should be doing my job instead of commenting on a game thread 9 hours before tip-off but here we are

16 Likes

If Cade scores more than 24, we win. Less than 14, we lose. Between is a toss up.

Find it somewhat odd that this game is on B12 Now/ESPN+, but I’m sure this is a play to get more people to subscribe to watch Cade vs KU from a national audience perspective.

I am feeling good. Got Boone feeling a bit better about himself, Thompson may be out which would be good. The fact that they are ranked 6 is great for us, it is a huge opportunity. Reminds me of the game in 2018 when the also #6 ranked Jayhawks came to Gallagher and got smacked by 18. We have OU and WVU next and need all the momentum we can get for those two.

Some interesting things I found:

• KenPom.com lists KU as a one-point favorite in this one (72-71), with a win probability of 56%

• According to KenPom.com, opponents have taken the ball away from OSU via steals just 6.6% of the time — lowest in the Big 12 — and Kansas has forced steals on just 7.6% of its opponents possessions, which ranks KU last in the Big 12.

• The Jayhawks are just 6-7 in Stillwater in Self’s 18 seasons in charge of the program, and OSU has more wins over Kansas (8) than any other program in the country since 2008.

• KU’s switching defense seems to have been better against opponents that rely on passing rather than ones who are better at taking defenders to the rim off the bounce. Oklahoma State is in the latter category, and it also has plenty of athleticism — another attribute that gave KU some fits at times against both Kentucky and Texas.

10 Likes

The head to head of Marcus Garrett best defender in the big 12 against Cade will be super interesting to watch.

I’m also feeling confident in a W. However, I DO NOT want to see a loss by 1-10 points. If they’re going to beat us, please just get it out of the way early before I get my hopes up like the other 3 losses. (Sorta joking)

1 Like

I have not watched a full OSU MBB game all year, but I have watched portions of quite a few (including the collapses against TCU and WV, unfortunately. :anguished:)

But I have a confession. I am not a huge Cade fan. He is a great individual and team player. His passing is great, he has a nice outside shot, and he has the ability to dominate smaller defenders. I truly appreciate his game. But he is not that fun to watch. His style and personna is so passive, especially on the defensive end. He seems like a great kid and I am thrilled he is at OSU. I am not calling him lazy, disengaged, or anything like that. He’s just not that “fun” to follow. Is it just me?

KU by 3

I think it just comes down to what you value and find entertaining. Some people think Zion is the most entertaining player in the world to watch, I find him boring.

I enjoy watching Cade, and appreciate his IQ and supreme understanding and control of the game that few ever have even as Seniors. We have also not had any games where Cade just goes supersaiyan on anyones @ss, which when he does I think you will change your sentiment.

4 Likes

This is true. Like you have to be a basketball nerd (nba nerd here) to get juiced about his game. Like… Chris Paul has some flash, but ultimately he dominates games by his IQ and the little things that all make up this amazing player. Tim Duncan along the same lines, didn’t have a flashy game, but everything he did was purposeful and his IQ was through the roof.

6 Likes

A win tonight would be HUGE for momentum.

Double down off that with a bedlam win and @Dribble top 10 final four prediction is well underway.

Also feeling a big game from Bryce Williams.

1 Like

Pokes by 2

If they rock those dope black
" OKLAHOMA STATE " jerseys it’s going to be a career high kind of night

2 Likes

Yep, I get it. Duncan is a great comparison even if a totally different position.

I’d look for us to be aggressive starting out the game attacking the rim. McCormack is a size and quality of big that we just don’t have right now, so if we can get him into some foul trouble early, they’ll lose a rim protector and a huge positive mismatch.

1 Like

Kansas by 14

I predict strong reactions both during the game and after

7 Likes

Could I interest you in cursive Cowboys instead?

7 Likes