How Texas Got to Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma State

Originally published at: How Texas Got to Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma State | Pistols Firing

A look at the Longhorns’ path to Arlington.

11-1 is noteworthy, no doubt. But after seeing the games summarized like this, it does make Texas look rather pedestrian. Beating Alabama has gained them a lot of good grace, but Alabama is down this year. Other than the last game against Tech, it doesn’t seem to me that Texas has set the world on fire. I have no idea how that translates on the field Saturday, but I know one thing for sure - I’d rather be facing Texas than OU right now.

5 Likes

I need someone to let the podcasts and youtube videos about this game play in the locker room or just print off the comments of how Oklahoma State is a fraud and are going to get smoked and post them everywhere in the facilities. Put it on the big video board in the stadium or the indoor facilities play the worst one or a montage of them all on loop. These kids need to get pissed and nasty for this game. They need motivation before the halftime speech to keep it close or come out like gangbusters. The stuff being said is enough to make Ollie run through brick walls I’m telling you!

3 Likes

Disclaimer: ENTIRELY different circumstances surrounding the game in Ames in 2011. Life and death are eternally more important than football.

How we felt then, in terms of the game result is how we should make Texas feel Saturday. They are one step away from the CFP and a chance at a Natty. Let’s break them one last time as they exit.

3 Likes

You guys might not be convinced that Texas isn’t all that great. That’s fine I suppose. Given that they’ve had some close calls this year. My concern is how OSU has been playing the last three games. It’s been very lethargic in the first half. The last three games we’ve averaged 8.3 points in the first half. The defense is also giving up 24 points in the first half alone the last three games. Keep in mind that’s against former G5 schools.

Backfoot threw 5 interceptions in the first nine games of the season. The last three weeks, he’s throw SIX INTERCEPTIONS!!! It’s not that I don’t think OSU CAN beat Texas. It’s that fact that I don’t trust Bowman based on some of his mistakes over the last three weeks. I don’t trust Dunn because he creates a first half mess that needs to be fixed in the second half. I don’t trust the defense (especially in the first half) because of their tendencies to give up big plays.

If they keep doing what they’ve done in the first half defensively Worthy is going to end up with 200 yards receiving and a couple of touchdowns by halftime. This isn’t 4-8 Houston, 6-6 UCF, or 5-7 BYU. This is the #7 team in the country that has more talent across the board than probably all three of those schools combined. I hope it doesn’t, but I can see this one getting ugly really fast if we continue the slow starts.

I saw this quote somewhere, and I’ll plagiarize it here because it’s true: OSU notoriously plays up, or down, to its competition. It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t come out looking a lot sharper than the previous 3 weeks. They were poised and confident in Bedlam, for example. I certainly think they will need to play at the top of their ceiling, I don’t think this game is impossible to win. I DO think it’s impossible to predict LOL.

1 Like

You beat me to the thought that we play better as a dog Remember before KSt everyone thought it would be a bloodbath Forget that they played bad , maybe we had a lot to do with it. Same against Kansas and the goons.
Inspired football and score first and again, then play even or better with them. Tough game for sure but certainly not winnable

1 Like

Agreed, but I also can’t ignore the fact we scored 17 points on OU turnovers and penalties. Hopefully Texas does the same.

Robert was correct, you’re mental ,
I can’t help but notice Rucker caused his turnover :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ksu you have serious issues. Portal not official for all. They have lost three qb, rb and more. Isu you has lost few but i dnt think how good they are. Baylor lost their qb.

1 Like

I never said he didn’t. Just saying there’s a clear difference in playing a team that’s 10-2 and currently #12 in the country to a team that’s 5-7. Better hope we win the turnover battle 3-0 if we want to win this game. Hopefully Backfoot won’t keep trying to throw it to Texas like he did against BYU this past weekend.

Most usually the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game. Not always but usually. You create your own luck most times joy

1 Like

Yep……and Texas is 10-0 when leading at the half this season. Hopefully they leave Dunn in Stillwater this upcoming weekend.

Dunn has this trust me joy :grin:

1 Like

So far dunn has come back both games against shark. How many have we had this year.

1 Like

BYU, uo, Kansas , Houston…. Just hope we put pressure on them early by getting ahead. Make them make the mistakes. I think Johnson and Owens get a lot thrown their way and Ollie out of the backfield

1 Like

The only thing that I am certain about the upcoming game with Texas is we can’t fall behind like we have in the last few games. Texas is playing at the top of their game right now and there is ZERO room for error. As an example of what OSU is up against Gundy mentioned in the Monday press conference that Texas is so good up front on D that they don’t really have to stack the box to stop the run. For me that is scary all by itself. Hope we find a way to overcome all that Texas talent, Go Pokes!!

3 Likes

It’d be nice if we get to Arlington just once and not have to face a massive, disrupting DT when we get there. Baylor had Ika. Texas has Sweat. Just kinda pisses me off.

1 Like

Bowman will need to have a big day with no drops stpupid penalties.

1 Like

Like he did against South Bama and UCF? Okay :+1:.