Is Mike Boynton A Good Coach?

Since I am on vacation I decided to do some digging into what kind of coach Boynton is and the direction of OSU. For this analysis I am looking at 2020 Big 12 as a whole, the past decade of OSU basketball, Big 12 coaching salaries, and where to improve upon this season.

Criteria:
Bad Coach: A coach who cannot improve a team no matter the talent level or experience.

Neutral Coach: A coach who goes the way of his players. If the talent and experience is there then the team will have a good season. Average recruiter and pretty much just all around average. These make up the majority of D-1 coaches because this isn’t little league and not everyone gets a trophy.

Good Coach: Above average at something (recruiting, development, X’s and O’s, etc.) and at least average in the other categories. This coach will have more success with building a team compared to a bad or neutral coach. Most P-5 coaches.

Great Coach: These are the guys you try and hire every time an opening comes up. Above average in several categories and consistently get more out of their team than would normally be expected. The guy you always say we should hired.

Elite Coach: They have awards named after them. Probably only 1-4 of them at any given time but some OSU fan somewhere thinks we could still get them.

Overview
Mike Boynton’s tenure at OSU has been nothing short of a rollercoaster. First-time head coach who immediately gets hammered by the NCAA, sweeping Kansas, expelled players, surprise top-10 wins, you name it we have probably seen it under Boynton (unless you name an NCAA tournament appearance).

My first inclination is to say that Boynton is in the good coach category. We have been getting better at recruiting and Boynton wins more than he probably is expected to with the talent on the roster and while facing Big 12 coaches, the majority of whom are great coaches. The Big 12 attracts coaching talent due in no small part to the lucrative deals some of these coaches are getting. 70% of the conference has a coach who is being paid as a top 25 coach and 90% of the conference is a top 50 paid coach.

To the surprise of no one Mike is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12. In fact if polled every OSU fan where he should rank I bet he would still come in 9th or 10th. Despite being paid 10th in the league he has finishes of 6th, 9th, and 7th during his tenure. This alone will probably keep him at OSU for the foreseeable future.

In the spirit of fairness I can’t just get on a soapbox and end this here and say that since he is cheap and a nice guy we should keep him in perpetuity so here are some mitigating and aggravating factors for him as a coach:

Mitigating:

• Immediately lost a recruiting class due to sanctions out of his control
  • Inherited players who were on the lower end of the recruiting spectrum
  • Forced to play young players against much better talent due to lack of depth
  • Some of the players dismissed were not recruited by him/ had been on campus for awhile without needing to be dismissed before his tenure
  • Illness and injury during last season’s campaign

Aggravating:

• Teams always hit a wall to start conference play
  • Several players dismissed were his recruits
  • Several years of at least one player being dismissed/transferring
  • Baffling lineups that hurt overall performance

2020 Big 12 Picture
Like clockwork OSU has started off winless in conference play. This yearly ritual always brings out the hottest takes and continues the hope-hopelessness trend experienced during football season. We are truly all gluttons for punishment. This year the Big 12 already has 50% of its teams in the top 15 and looks to be an even bigger juggernaut than in years past. So how does OSU get to where they want to be? In my mind the two most important factors to succeeding in any D-1 sport is recruiting more talented players and having more experience on your team.

From basketballreference.com I compiled a list of how experienced each Big 12 team is this year, what their roster makeup looks like, and how well they recruit. Experience is defined as the weighted average of the minutes played by the team, % Upperclassmen is just each roster sorted by class (this does include walk-ons and is not weighted by time spent on the court), and Top 100 Recruits is exactly what is says.

…yeah not great Bob. Due to 2 large classes in a row OSU has a very inexperienced team with hardly any older players to help lead the way. It also gets worse (or better if you are more forward thinking), all 3 of OSU’s top 100 recruits are freshman. So when compared to teams like Baylor, Kansas, or Texas who all can recruit well and keep their talent OSU is falling short.

Now while this does not bode well for the rest of the season the Texas game should provide some glimmer of hope that we are able to compete away from home with basically the college version of the team you would build on 2K. Obviously the season will play out and we will get a better understanding of who the team is going forward but for right now I will say that its tough for me to get mad at Boynton for this. It’s not like he can convince players on the other team to leave. We are improving in recruiting and if that continues we should have the talent base to contend in the Big 12 in the near future.

Impact on Boynton’s Coaching Evaluation: Neutral

2010’s: I Guess They Were Alright
OSU used to be an elite basketball school. But ever since The Scowl has left the team has seemed aimless, drifting and waiting for the right coach to bring back a winning culture. Maybe Mike can’t make the dent this year but is he trending in the right direction? The Big 12 may be great now but several of the teams will be losing talent over the next few years and with the fate of Kansas up in the air it is imperative that Mike strikes when he has the chance. So lets take a look and see if we think that Mike is trending in the right direction:

While looking at the past decade the word that comes to mind when talking about OSU basketball is “average”. There have been a few great years with the Marcus Smart and Jawun Evans years but OSU has never been able to get their recruiting to a level that lets us build on those successes. Our best seasons unsurprisingly come from having experience and/or NBA talent on the roster. Looking at the Boynton tenure the only thing that is definitively improving is recruiting. The talent level that OSU was bringing in year after year before Boynton got here was not ever going to bring a Big 12 title to Stillwater let alone compete for a top-3 spot consistently.

Last year was probably one of the most disappointing seasons I have seen, however, looking at it holistically the season actually turned out better than it should have:

• Lost ICE for several games due to mono (probably only played half of the season at 90% health or better)
  • Lindy gets plantar fasciitis in both feet (ouch)
  • Dizzy gets the flue (If arrows stopped a virus Dizzy could have stopped COVID alone)
  • 3-pt line moved back by 16.75"
  • 14th ranked SOS (meat meet grinder)
  • 8 game losing streak to start off conference play

If I had told myself everything that we would have to deal with I would have been surprised that we somehow finished over 0.500 and somehow won 8 total conference games. So knowing all of that I will say that I believe OSU is heading in the right direction but that means expectations should continue to grow as well.

Impact on Boynton’s Coaching Evaluation: Slight Positive

Where Do We Go From Here?
In order to make sure this season is not a total disaster Boynton will probably need to make some changes to the lineup. Using the eyeball test it is clear that Flavors and Kouma shouldn’t be taking minutes away from Bryce, Rondel, and Kalib…yet here we are. Boynton mentioned that Kouma does things that stats don’t catch and I am sure Flavors hates missing shots as much as I hate watching him take those shots. But it is the coach’s job to maximize the team and come up with a game plan to win. From Basketball Reference I compiled some of the important stats for each player to see if Mike has it right with his lineups.

DRtg is a measure of how many points an opposing team would score in 100 possessions with Player X on the court. This is like golf where lower is better. Bryce, Avery, and the Boones our the best defenders on the team.

ORtg is a measure for how many points the team would expect to score in 100 possessions with Player X on the court. ICE, Rondel, and Cade our the 3 best offensive players on our team.

Box Plus Minus Marshall’s favorite stat gives the +/- for a player on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. This is another measurement for seeing if someone is actually a net contributor to the team. I know some people called for Avery to start over ICE but Likekele’s efficiency from the offensive end and what he brings to the table in every other category should keep him in the starting role.

I had to leave out Chris Harris and DWill from a lot of these averages because their minutes skew the data. The most important takeaway from these stats are that your eyes were not deceiving you! Flavors and Kouma being on the court hurt the team by a lot and unless Flavors is hitting shots (which he isn’t) he should be the 9th option. And Kouma may be great at setting screens but he is not a great defender and playing 4-on-5 on the offensive end doesn’t help no matter how beautiful those screens are. Here are some other takeaways:

• Bryce is good
  • ICE is good
  • MAM is good
  • Cade is good
  • Keylan is good

If only there was some way to get all of them on the court from the beginning of a game and play them the most minutes due to their combination of abilities and positional flexibility…oh well too bad that’s apparently impossible. I think everyone who watches the games has pretty much seen who should be in the starting lineup without actually digging into any of the stats. So if the eyes aren’t lying and the stats are confirming what the eyes are seeing, what is taking Mike so long?

The stats also show who should be coming off of the bench: Avery, Rondel, and Kalib. In fact I would be interested to see a game where only those 8 players see the court for the majority of the minutes. If I was a betting man I think the defensive lapses would be mitigated and that the offense would actually look better. I just don’t want us to take another 6-8 games to realize what should have been obvious after 4 or 5 games. This is the most disappointing aspect of Boynton’s coaching career, not settling into a rotation quickly and not being able to identify the hot hand until its too late (remember Kendall Smith got benched for Brandon Avarette and stayed on the bench way too long even when he started cooking, can’t have that happen).

Impact on Boynton’s Coaching Evaluation: Negative

Conclusion
I started out believing Boynton was a good coach, and I still think that (or at least I don’t think he is a bad coach). He has improved recruiting and was dealt a bad hand to start, but the next few years are going to determine if he can go from good-to-great or if he is destined for good-to-neutral. He does need to find his best players easier if he wants to have any continued success. But what do you guys think?

What Kind of Coach is Boynton?

• Bad Coach
  • Neutral Coach
  • Good Coach
  • Great Coach
  • Elite Coach

0 voters

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

5 Likes

Clearly, the man can recruit. The other stuff is a mixed bag. Up and down performances within conference and tourney play. The one big negative is no NCAA tourney victories. Player development…not great. X and O and in-game adjustments have appeared lacking at points too. All of that to say this: I still really hope this is the year that Mike the employee proves to Mike the boss that he hit a homerun with the hire.

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

This is all excellent. I think he does a few things (recruiting, out of bounds plays) really well. I do think he could improve in terms of using his personnel (i.e. not starting Kouma). But I think those are things he learns with each passing year. He is still incredibly early in this thing.

2 Likes

I love the research.

I voted “elite coach” because I will forever stan Mike Boynton.

But … there’s an argument to be made that he’s definitely just a “good coach” or even “neutral.”

I’m a sucker for a good recruiter, I freely admit.

9 Likes

I respect it. I would run through a wall for Boynton and I still voted good coach, I want to see us win something big before I say he’s elite.

6 Likes

Does it seem like his teams lose a lot of midweek games they shouldn’t? They play better on Saturday or a bigger stage. Gain momentum on a Saturday then lose it on Wednesday usually to TCU. :joy:

1 Like

When I read this, I couldn’t get past the criteria of the level of coaching. The definition of bad coach fit Leonard Hamilton to a tee. Eddie came in and promptly went to the sweet 16 twice (and almost beat national runner-up Michigan) with the players Hamilton had (AND had an overall losing record with- unless you want to say Sean Sutton was the true key to the team’s success). On the other hand, the definition of a good coach is one who does one or two things well, which clearly he did, namely recruit. So, I’m not sure the categories are mutually exclusive. Hamilton was a bad coach because he couldn’t do anything with his players, but he was a good coach because he was a great recruiter.

He’s ok. Can’t win conference games but can sure recruit.

Yes.

3 Likes

Tell me more.

1 Like

Bump. This still up for debate?

2 Likes

I mean he made the changes I suggested he should, and I thought he was a good coach to begin with so hopefully it alleviates most people’s doubt about him

1 Like

There are things in the course of a game I would like to see improved. But he’s a great ambassador and personality for Oklahoma State. He has an impressive ability to connect with people and you see that in recruiting.

I’m curious to see how next year goes without Cade. He definitely gets the most out of his players.

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

I saw quite a bit of improvement this year. So yes I think he’s good now and if he keeps progressing he will be great.

1 Like

I had some serious questions about his defensive coaching and his working with his assistant coaches. I would say both of those were solved later in the year and both with the same solution. Assistant coaches running the defense and making it a LOT better.

3 Likes

How do you know the assistant coaches started running the defense? Just curious, not doubting you.

Well that is what several news people reported. I read it a few times during the season.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between assistants running the defense, and assistants coming up with a defensive game plan when scouting future opponents. This was the latter.