Journalism and the Future

Spot on post.

1 Like

I think what PFB has going is a great model. I would love some more merch, but how they offer articles for free (with ads) and have a forum-fee I hope is sustainable.

I’m considering paying for the Athletic now that they cover multiple sports teams I follow and post nearly daily about each one of them. But I do hate how every article is behind a paywall.

I recently discovered Matt Brown and ExtraPoints and I hate how every other post is behind a paywall ($7/mo; $70/yr). Although I love the articles and type of content, there’s just too little of it (one post/day) to justify paying nearly the same as PFB. I do hope Matt can find a way to make it cheaper or provide more worth.

2 Likes

All that said, I think it would be fun to see something similar to the mailbag on PFB where every once in a while they have an op-ed from PFB+ member submissions or guest writers (like Matt Brown).

They actively avoid covering Oklahoma State, it seems.

That aside. Besides, I’ve got PFB.

Big12, CFB, Manchester City, Thunder…

1 Like

My concern with paywalls for content is that it will even further reinforce the “I only hear what I want to hear” mindset. For me, that concern relates more to news/politics than sports. In sports, I pretty much want just what I want. For news and politics, seeing a wider range of perspectives is much more important.

1 Like

Agreed. It will also increase the gap between wealthy and poor. The internet was fantastic because it was free and open access to content. I’m not so sure now. Good content deserves a pay day but costs money, unfortunately for the reader.

I disagree. They are there, its just buried and needs to be brought to the surface with some good TLC. Additionally, they don’t realize it is there either.

2 Likes