Let’s Talk About the QB Position for OSU in 2021

I went on SIRIUSXM yesterday with Chris Plank, who asked me a question that really gave me pause: Who will be QB for OSU in 2021? Will there be an open competition, given Spencer’s inconsistency this season? And will Gunnar Gundy in any way be a factor?

What do y’all think?

My guess is, Spencer being a vet, that Gundy will stick with him just knowing his history. But I said I think that’s probably only the public stance; privately I suspect it’s an open competition with Spencer and Illingworth. And, maybe, they try and add another QB via the transfer/grad transfer market to ramp up competition. Don’t really see Ethan Bullock or Gunnar being a factor in all this personally.

1 Like

Who should start?

• Sanders
  • Illingworth

0 voters

I think it’s Sanders’ job until he gets hurt or loses 2-3 games due to turnovers.

I also think it should be an open competition just to see if Illingworth can push Sanders.

9 Likes

My fear is whoever is #2 decides to transfer, leaving us in a real pinch. So at least having a competition will delay naming a #1 and give less incentive for the loser to transfer because they wouldn’t have time to compete for a job immediately elsewhere.

1 Like

It’s going to be (and should be) Sanders. Illingworth will continue to be valued and groomed.

1 Like

Gundy values experience so highly. I think Sanders is the guy unless gets injured or commits a bunch of turnovers.

1 Like

Gundy loves experience and is loyal (see Corndog). Spencer just hit that 15 game mark that he values a lot and he will have another offseason to improve upon a great end to this season. Also from a run-pass balance Spencer probably makes more sense to help out the RB room.

Ill be happy with either. I tend towards liking pro style QBs more but Spencer did improve late in the year. Obviously his issue is turnovers so if he fixes that, he should be quite good.

2 Likes

Trill doesn’t transfer anywhere after that OU performance.

He was a true freshman behind a nonexistent OL. He could transfer to a lot of places.

1 Like

This is really the only hindrance holding him back from being All-Big 12. But the turnover problem is so consistently a problem, and often times game-changing for the worse, that it’s hard to ignore.

2 Likes

Don’t let @AdamLunt hear your ‘nonexistant OL’ slander.

1 Like

7 Likes

While I want Shane to be the starter (that’s just a personal preference thing), Spencer will be and he should have much better protection, and will look a lot better.

3 Likes

Had the discussion with an OU employee today about QB play and he was surprised when I said I’d take Ehlinger everyday all day over Sanders. It made me wonder if I undervalue Sanders, but he really needs to step up IMO.

1 Like

Shane needs to come in and win the job, that’s a choice he can take this off season. He needs to come in with that Starting QB mentality, confidence, and work ethic. Spence is kool and the more experienced player, but Shane needs to take come in and take the keys to the offense.

2 Likes

Not surprising. Your average run of the mill goon thinks dog sh!t is better than anyone on the Texas team.

3 Likes