Marshall Monday Live Q&A - Sept. 16

Same as last week, I’ll be hopping on for a live Q&A at 2 p.m. today after I’m done at Mike Gundy’s weekly presser.

Throw in some questions, and I’ll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Why does Sanders seem locked in on Tylan, and is Gundy worried about that?

2 Likes

Am I the only who felt like Jelani wasn’t moving well? Looked stiff. Particularly between plays

Any update on the defensive guys who missed the game against Tulsa?

1 Like

Is it a tactical decision to let the other team return kickoffs or does the place kicker not have a big enough leg to get touch backs consistently? We also led the country last year in kickoffs out of bounds so maybe he’s just inconsistent.

Do we have any sort of update on Dezmon Jackson’s health and if he’ll be inserted into the rotation any time soon?

Not Marshall but I can answer this one. It is tactical as with the new fair catch rule it makes sense to kick it high and make the kick returner try and make a fair catch or even try a return with the tacklers moving in from a high kick. In other words he might muff the fair catch, or be concerned whether to fair catch or not and gets tackled short of the 25.

Just saw an absurd stat that Tomlin is 7-0 when coaching with a sub .500 record! (Saw on Twitter, so idk if it’s true) either way, you see mason getting his first win in his first start?

Well didn’t they just lose to Seattle as an 0-1 team?

1 Like

And that’s why I take stuff off twitter with a grain of salt. Lol

Haha, yeah it very well might have been true before that. They play the 49ers next, I think they have a solid chance to win that. I’m looking forward to seeing how Mason plays.

He didn’t seem it. He was asked about it today and said they have to take what the defense gives them. At first I thought, “So they’re covering everyone else and not Tylan?” But as he continued I think what he was getting at is if teams leave him in single coverage, OSU is going to attack it.

I didn’t see anything. Gundy didn’t mention it today. I’m not sure why they aren’t using him more in the passing game, but his blocking is getting scary good.

Gundy said Bundage and Antwine are in the same boat that they’ve been in. He didn’t mention Evers, but I asked about Evers last week and he acted like he was fine and he wasn’t because he didn’t play. I don’t know that he’ll tell us when those guys are going to play, I think it’ll just happen some week.

I think the wind played a part. I recall one kick (maybe the one after halftime) going over the end zone, and his kicks the other way were short. Of his eight kicks, five were touchbacks. I don’t think there’s much strategy in it, personally.

Evers, Bundage and Antwine are all still on the depth chart, listed second at their respective positions.

I asked Gundy about him today, and he said: “Hopefully he’ll be out there this week.” That was kind of what he said with a lot of the injured players, though. I don’t know about this week, but Jackson has been practicing in a green jersey since fall camp to limit his contact. He still wears pads, but he’s in green like the quarterbacks.

I personally don’t read too far into stats like that. What I do know is the 49ers have looked good through two weeks, but they’ve also played two pretty crummy teams. That’s all to say the Steelers are 0-2, but the offense looked better under Rudolph (apart from a receiver not catching a ball that hit him in the face).

The 49ers defense gave Andy Dalton and Jameis Winston troubles. The two combined for more INTs than TDs. But I’m the Rudolph stan in a PFB staff full of Weeden ones, so I think Pittsuburgh has a shot. The talent seems to be there.

How soon is too soon to start pushing Deondrick Glass or Dezmon Jackson into action? Seems like OSU isn’t quite ready to unleash them yet, but LD’s start to the season has been about as inspiring as Donte Moncrief.

Jackson has been injured. He has/had a hairline fracture in his wrist. That’s why he hasn’t played. Deondrick was pretty far behind schedule when he got to campus in the fall. He spent the early part of fall camp off away from everyone with a few other guys working on conditioning. Gundy seems confident that LD can play better but recognized that he hasn’t to this point. Jeter has been hobbled with an ankle injury and even Micah Cooper has dealt with a quad strain. It kinda just looks like a year where OSU won’t rely as heavily on RB2 or 3.