Marshall Watches Oklahoma State vs. Kansas in 2004 in GIA for the First Time

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/marshall-watches-oklahoma-state-vs-kansas-in-2004-in-gia-for-the-first-time/

Marshall goes back to a night GIA might have been at its rowdiest.

Fun read. Hopefully I can watch some of this game. As for this comment:

“GIA look fun. Similar to how some Kansas games lately have been and similar to the Trae Young OU game. Olds will say it was 12x better back then, but it looked similar. I want to see a pre-13,611 rowdy game from GIA. Maybe that’ll be my next find.”

I wish I could say I’ve been to a 13,611 rowdy game. Never had the opportunity to go to a Sutton game (pre- or post-13,611). I have been to a “last Ford season” crickets game. But before that, it was mid-80’s for me. The old Gallagher was a ton of fun. If you could find a video of an 82-83 game, I’d watch in a heartbeat. But you’ll more likely get a pre-13,611 game from the early Sutton era (might as well go for the 95 Country team).

1 Like

If you can track down the full game for Kansas at Oklahoma State 1999 season, it’s got it all. Small GIA, Big Monday ranked showdown, D-Mase, Gottlieb, Big Dady, Joe Adkins, team played on all cylinders and you couldn’t even hear the person next to you talking.

2 Likes

Oklahoma State - Texas 3OT was the loudest craziest most fun game I had ever been a part of. I was there from 02-08 and that was the single greatest game in GIA that I ever went too!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Another great pre-expansion game was in 1995. OSU vs Kansas. OSU wins 70-69. Big Country scores 33 and grabs 20 rebounds. Big Monday, national TV, Dicky V calling the game. One of the best games I ever witnessed in GIA.

1 Like

“ GIA look fun. Similar to how some Kansas games lately have been and similar to the Trae Young OU game. Olds will say it was 12x better back then, but it looked similar.”

Definitely don’t consider myself an Old (I was at this game as a high schooler), but I can guarantee you it’s not similar. That GIA in 2004 is the best, most hostile venue in college basketball (and yes, better than the Phog). We haven’t come close to that peak in a long time.

GIA was hopping those days. But in 03-04, our team was so good, it never seemed to get too nuts in there. This Kansas game was pretty impressive and beating Texas at the end of the year to secure big 12 was juiced.

Upon expansion, 00-01, was as crazy as that place has been. Jason Keep breaking the backboard. Game back from plane crash from Missouri was absolute bonkers and emotional (I don’t think it’s possible to match this really. Watch video of TC’s dunk late in the second half). Game vs OU in 2001 was very similar. The home crowd willed OSU to a lot of victories 01-03. Those teams were very defensive driven, and the crowd played a big role. The arena was good for a 10-0 run at least once a game.