Mason Cobb Commitment Primer: Predictions on Where the 2020 LB Lands

Less than a week removed from an official visit to Oklahoma State, three-star linebacker Mason Cobb, from Provo, Utah, will make his long-awaited college commitment on Wednesday – the first day of the early signing period.

The 6-foot-1, 220 pound Cobb has nearly a dozen offers but appears to be down to two. Here’s what you need to know before he decides.

The contenders: Cobb has garnered offers from Arizona, Utah State, Colorado State and others, but it appears he’s whittled his finalists to two: Oklahoma State and Louisville. Cobb visited both in recent weeks on an official basis, with the Cowboys getting the final pitch over the weekend.

The favorite: No crystal ball predictions are in for Cobb at 247Sports, but Rivals’ two futurecasts show two predictions in favor of Oklahoma State.

What to know about Cobb: In high school, Cobb had 118 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks, two fumbles recoveries in a senior year coming out party. He also played on the offensive side of the ball – namely at tight end – during his last two seasons, catching 38 balls for 384 yards. 247Sports’ Blair Angulo had this to say about Cobb while evaluating and projecting him:

Wide frame with thick lower half. Limited height, but decent length. Strong tackler who wraps up well. Down-hill linebacker and ideally fits inside the box. Attacks gaps at full speed and punishes ballcarriers. Aware in coverage and able to close on the football. Reads quarterbacks to jump routes and sit in zones. Good reflexes on throws over the middle. Needs to refine footwork in space. Could improve quickness and short-space agility. Potential multi-year starter at Division I level and could draw NFL Draft attention. [247Sports]

Boone: All reports out of Stillwater are coming up orange (and black). I get the feeling OSU really sold him on a role this past weekend, during his official visit. And the fact that he could probably make an impact early (ish) could be the difference between Cardinals and Cowboys. I’ll take the latter.

Prediction: Oklahoma State.

Porter: I would be pretty surprised if he wasn’t a Cowboy on Wednesday morning. Fits what OSU is trying to do both on and off the field, and a source I talked to thinks he’s pretty locked in to become No. 19 in the Class of 2020.

Prediction: Oklahoma State.

2 Likes

Does his dad have any eligibility left?

1 Like

You ain’t lying. That man is stacked.

1 Like

Initial thought, was he the antagonist in “over the top“ ! Dickey would love this guy