Mason Rudolph to Start Hall of Fame Game for Pittsburgh Steelers

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mason-rudolph-to-start-hall-of-fame-game-for-pittsburgh-steelers/

Rudolph could further bolster his case for QB2.

If Rudolph takes a meaningful snap during the regular season it means the Steeler season crashed and burned. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut by the end of camp. Hate to be so negative, but he hasn’t looked very good in his previous opportunities.

What’s your opinion on Gundy’s quarterback development?

I’m not sure Gundy should take all the criticism, but the development of QB’s at OSU has been average at best. I didn’t feel like Rudolph developed like he should have. The lack of development really shows itself at the next level. Inability to read defenses and lack of poise in the pocket.
Sanders progression in his first 3 seasons has been slow. The bad reads, forcing the football, locking in on receivers, fumbles and interceptions must get much better.

Rudolph made the same mistakes all 4 years. Never developed an intermediate game. But could throw a gorgeous deep ball.

Walsh made the same mistakes. He could throw intermediate really well but never developed a deep-ball.

Weeden came in as good as he was ever gonna get.

Bobby Reid never developed like we thought.

Spencer-jury’s out until this season.

Chelf- similar style as Walsh.

All of them are either NFL busts or never even got a look. Except Spencer who isn’t done yet.

QB development under Gundy is well below average.

Can’t believe the whiners and naysayers about Rudolph. Let’s see how he performs this pre-season. Give the man a chance!

2 Likes

The Game is on THURSDAY night at 7 not Friday.

He chokes like Gundy in Bedlam.

Nobody is whining just stating an opinion based on his play with the Steelers. He’s not the answer for Pittsburgh.

He really hasn’t had a chance to prove himself yet. Plenty of whiners and naysayers out there not just one person wanting super- human performances. The Steelers organization has stuck with him ($5 mill) so they must see something.

1 Like

Big Ben hasn’t been an exemplary mentor to say the least.

1 Like

Mason absolutely has had a chance, and he hasn’t looked very good. He was benched for Duck Hodges a undrafted free agent. That 5 mil you referred to isn’t guaranteed if he gets cut.
It’s not big Ben’s job to mentor Mason, but I haven’t heard anything negative about Ben and relationship with Mason.

Here is his stats: There are plenty off guys with a lot worse starts to a career. And Ben hasn’t exactly been that”Big” of a classy guy or gone out of his way to be amicable.

2019 (10-8/0-0): Appeared in 10 games in his second year, starting eight…finished the season with 176 completions for 1,765 yards and 13 TDs with 9 interceptions…had a season long-pass at San Francisco when he connected with JuJu Smith-Schuster for a 76-yard TD…in a win over Indianapolis, had a season-high 26 completions and a TD…started twice on Monday Night Football and had a career-high 124.6 passer rating against Miami on 9/30.

• 9/15 vs Seattle: Made his NFL debut, entering the game in the second half for an injured Ben Roethlisberger…completed 12-of-19 passes for 112 yards, 2 TDs, 1 interception, and a passer rating of 92.4.
  • 9/22 at San Francisco: In first NFL start, completed 14-of-27 passes for 174 yards and 2 TDs…tied the franchise record for TD passes in first career start (tied with Ron Smith, 1966; Rudy Bukich, 1960; Scott Campbell, 1985) with scoring throws from 76 and 39 yards.
  • 9/30 vs Cincinnati: In his first start at Heinz Field, completed 24-of-28 passes for 229 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions for a passer rating of 124.6…set franchise records for a QB in first career home start in completions (24), completion percentage (85.7), and QB rating (124.6)…his 85.7 completion percentage is tied with QB Ben Roethlisberger (85.7 vs. Miami, Nov. 26, 2007) for the third-highest in franchise history…recorded his third straight game with at least 2 TD passes…completed 17-of-18 passes for 133 yards and 1 TD in the first half…completed his first 7 passes of the game, which went to five different players…connected with RB James Conner on a 21-yard TD pass in the second quarter…connected with WR Diontae Johnson on a 43-yard TD pass in the third quarter.
  • 10/28 vs Miami: Completed 20-of-36 passes for 251 yards, 2 TDs and 1 interception…set single-game career highs in pass attempts (36) and passing yards (251)…first quarterback in NFL history to register his first two career wins on Monday Night Football.
  • 11/3 vs Indianapolis: Completed 26 of 35 (74.3 percent) for 191 yards and 1 TD…connected with TE Vance McDonald for a 7-yard TD completion in the third quarter.
  • 11/10 vs L.A. Rams: Completed 22 of 28 passes for 242 yards and 1 TD for a passer rating of 85.6…first QB since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to throw at least 1 TD pass in each of his first seven career games and first since Tampa Bay’s Jameis Winston in 2015…third quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to record a passer rating of at least 81.4 and throw a TD in each of his first seven career starts.
1 Like

Steelers still has the same STUPID playcalling, i.e. VERY predictable. Run it twice, get into obvious 3rd-down-passing situation which all defenses know. Very little misdirection. NFL is now a passing league, throw on first down ever???

And there we go, running on 2nd and 15.

Ben’s an a-hole. I’ve been a Steelers fan since Bradshaw days and have wanted him gone ever since the two rpe allegations. You can argue the first one may have not been truly rpe although I don’t think that Vegas lady got fair treatment but the coed in Georgia was most definitely something. I read everything I could find on it and IMO he should’ve done some jail time.

The playcalling was wack as was the O-line, try better!

Each of the quarterbacks had there limits.
Weeden God loved him. But real should have never been draft. He had no mobility at all.
Rudolph has small hands plus not very mobile either.
Clint gave us his best.
Walsh just wasn’t best of the 2 passing wise.
Robinson wasn’t great at both he was a good dual qb but not great. And like a lot of dual qb injuries didn’t help.
Then u had the throw happy Adam wes just didn’t know what team.
Sanders and Bobby just couldn’t get it going injuries dnt help.
Sanders is not done if he buys in and real learns to take what the defense gives. Learn to throw it away. Just the lil stuff. Hand the ball off rite.

Nice job of looking up all those stats for Rudolph. My opinion is he a backup QB, and as stated before he’ll hang around the league and make some nice coin. His completion rate was fairly nice but his yards per completion were poor. He was replaced by Duck Hodges and then put back in when Duck suffered a concussion. Duck was cut last yr and Rudolph kept his job.

You come on here point fingers at every quarterback and never mentioned what they all had in common " a sorry coach "

Look u can come on here point fingers at a great coach. There is no way anybody was going to make weeden a more mobile qb. Not even miles leach or riley. If u dnt believe u have started early on the rot gut.