Mike Boynton Agrees to 7-Year Extension Worth $3 Million Annually

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-boynton-agrees-to-7-year-extension-worth-3-million-annually/

Boynton got paid.

Uh-oh. Misplaced and unwarranted hate towards Boynton from ungrateful and misguided “fans” incoming in 3…2…1…

3 Likes

I like the guy but seven years is too long. Must not have learned anything from the Travis Ford debacle.

1 Like

Amount is fine. I would’ve liked to see a shorter contract. I think 3 or 4 years is more reasonable than 7.

2 Likes

I’m fine with the 3 mil a year. Think that maybe the contract should’ve been 4 years max.

1 Like

Yesssss!! Let’s gooooooo!!!

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with the years and money. I just want to see what buyout options were included in the contract because it was the lack of that made the Travis Ford situation a mess.

3 Likes

Congratulations to Coach. He deserves it. Yes,there was a big problem with Ford but he inherited good players .Coach Boynton has recruited and built a team. Big difference. So glad he is ours.

2 Likes

I’m sure Robert will be fairly upset about this and then try to say that Gundy should be getting the 7 year extension instead of Boynton.

3 Likes

It’s amazing that Coach B has 1 successful season and he gets a 1million dollar raise. I guess the the athletic dept. didn’t learn a damm thing with the Travis Ford debacle. I hope that coach B lives up to all the faith that has been put on him.

1 Like

Some of y’all need this

3 Likes

yesss

1 Like

That’s only in the case that Boynton fails so miserably that no one wants him. There also could be buyout print in this contract that was left out of Fords, which caused the issue. Unless mike goes out there and has a bunch of 0-18 seasons in conference play, it’s a win-win. He gets paid, it persuades him to stay here in future attempts from other programs to get him, and if he chooses to go elsewhere based on success (without being fired) that money goes toward extra to pitch at a new coach.

2 Likes

Without knowing the buyout terms this seems to be a good deal for both parties. Boynton deserved better than last in the Big 12 in pay. OSU won’t have to worry about contract talks every off-season for a few years. I think it might be a year too long, but the money seems right. Now let us pack the house in GIA.

1 Like

I like Coach Boyton and I am happy that the got paid but because of the Travis Ford situation it still makes me nervous. Also, am I the only one concerned that we have no 2021 commits right now? The team technically doesn’t need new guys to be successful next year but it would be nice to have guys in the program for the future.

Joe I’m here going to answer. First bb don’t get the money fb gets and for good reason. Next I would love to see the buy out. 7 years I’m shaking my head. 3 million I’m shaking my head. Drew from Baylor who is a nice coach elite eights sweet 16 and the only big 12 coach still in gets 2.6mill. We had one good year, and I’m here to say I’m fine with him getting a ride on those other years. But almost a decade and almost double pay.

You may not have been around to see all of the conversations on this, but this question has been asked a whole bunch. It basically comes down to scholarships. Especially with CoVID allowing an extra year for players on top of of the already-chaotic mess we have going on player-wise, Boynton had absolutely no idea how many scholarships he’d have to give for 2021. It was basically a gimme that Cade would leave, but if he were able to convince Williams to stay and the sanctions are upheld by the NCAA, he will only have 1 single scholarship to give. With so many young guys he’d rather use that 1 single scholarship on a transfer who can help immediately. This is why he’s going so hard after ‘22 and ‘23 guys, he’ll have the scholarships available and most of the guys here now will be upper-classmen by then. He can’t try to convince Hs kids to come here with no scholarships to give. Hope I explained that well.

3 Likes

He actually is getting a 2 million dollar raise. He was at 1m and now will be getting 3M.

1. 6 million is what has payed

Because its so late. By the time ncaa answer r appeal this year will not be effect by scholarship. Everthing will be pushed back.
But real should have been 3 year at 2 million. The only reason to make it 3 and 7 is if u think some one is going after him. In that case let him go.