Mike Gundy has a Talladega Nights-Like Outlook on the Big 12 Title Race

Gundy just dosent get it man! We all would take a big 12 chsmpionship every 3 years!!! Wtf is this guy talking about!! I’m done with this clown. Yes gundy give me exactly what you have given us over the last 10 years because you good sir have sucked!! Is anybody buying this crap except Robert 28 aka gunner gundy? Lol what a joke this clown is.

I don’t always agree with Jim Traber, but I think he said it best:

“As long as Lincoln Riley is on the sidelines at OU, and Mike Gundy is in the sidelines at OSU. OSU will NEVER win a Big 12 championship!!!”

1 Like

Rite rite rite rite. It must have been rite u knew what I wrote. It fun how u guys can read, but u always know what I rite.

Good is the enemy of great.

I’m tired of being good. I would like to see some audacious expectations and results. If we are satisfied with winning records and second-level bowl games, we’ll never reach the top.

3 Likes

Baylor got tired of challenging Kansas for last in the conference.

Iowa State got tired of challenging Kansas for last in the conference.

Last two seasons:

2019 Baylor vs OU for the CC

2020 Iowa State vs OU for the CC

1 Like

Gosh, how i wish Gundy had posed that question (posed to Emig) to me. Yes, Gundy, I would much rather WIN a Championship and endure a couple of re-building years VS 3 years of mediocrity. Gundy, you have achieved your goal of sustained program success (as defined by winning more than you loose). Just like 40(+) other P5 schools. By Gundy standards, the secret to success is ‘set low goals’ … how incredibly stupid! 36 out of 64 P5 schools had ‘winning’ FB records in 2019. It takes ‘very little’ effort to achieve that goal Coach Gundy!

3 Likes

100% agree, but winning one every 3 years is vastly, vastly different than winning one and falling off a cliff. Just for the sake of argument.

I heard yesterday that OSU is 13-13 in the big 12 since the beginning of 2017… so I guess by definition, he is right that we’re consistent. We consistently lose as many conference games as we win.

1 Like

Another crazy stat (not to defend Gundy, I just find it interesting) in the past half decade-

Bama has accounted for 80% of SEC titles (LSU-1)
tOSU has accounted for 80% of B10 titles (PSU-1)
Clemson has accounted for 100% of ACC titles
OU has accounted for 100% of B12 titles

I didnt realize how little parody there actually is in college football. Those 4 teams and a little sprinkle of a PSU here or LSU there and there have really been only 4 successful teams in the entire United States of America over the past half decade according to Gundy’s comments.

I think getting to title games is huge even if you don’t win them, and Gundy’s remarks on that are ignorant. But asking OSU, or really anyone else in the country other than the 4 schools referenced above, to win multiple conference titles kinda seems impossible just going off of statistical results. Not saying it is figuratively impossible, it’s just a little surprising that it statistically almost never happens in any of the major conferences.

*disclaimer- I chose to omit the Pac-12 because they have been the least relevant conference year after year ever since USC fell from glory. Teams are all over the place in that league and the winner usually gets obliterated in their bowl games. Heck The AAC even looks better than them right now.

Look what Kansas has done in the conference in basketball. I hold Boynton to the same expectations as Gundy.

That’s since the beginning of the 2018 season. He’s 19-16 since the beginning of the 2017 season.

I’ll take Indiana’s coach right now. You think he has more talent on his roster than Gundy does? At least he gets his players fired up and they play their hearts out for him. Not saying the players don’t try hard, but I don’t really know how they feel about Gundy any longer.

1 Like

I’ve said it time and again. I don’t expect them to win a conference title every other season. I also don’t expect them to play for a Conference Championship every season.

Everyone talks about how this is a top 15 program and I haven’t seen it the past three seasons. For me if your going to claim to be a top 15 program then you at the very least better start finishing consistently in the top 25 every season anywhere from 10th to 20th.

Gundy has finished in the top 25 six times in his career and once in the top 10. He’s on the verge of taking a team that was 4-0 and #6 in the country with a win against Iowa State to possibly 6-4 or 6-5 and no ranking. Based on what I’ve seen since the Bedlam game I think Baylor is going to beat them.

This is my expectations on OSU football:

• Play in a conference title game every three seasons.

• Possibly win a conference title every five years or so.

• beat your in-State rival once every three or four years.

• get a Top 25 recruiting class every couple of years

Is that really a lot to ask for? Is that something that’s impossible to do at OSU? I don’t know. I feel like if Baylor and Iowa State are able to do it then why can’t OSU do that any longer?

Baylor and Iowa State were two of the worst Big 12 programs for a long period of time (with probably Kansas being the worst). I’ve been watching Big 12 football since it’s beginning formation. So not only does Baylor have more conference titles now, but Iowa State is now gradually making their presence in the Big 12 while our coach makes bogus theories and shows regression week by week.

1 Like

I don’t think OSU is a top 15 program. I think a mixture of Boone piling in millions of dollars and Gundy having a couple of good seasons here and there has tricked a bunch of people into thinking they’re a top 15 program, but they aren’t.

And my post wasn’t directed at OSU. It was directed at almost every D1 program in the country excluding Alabama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio state. It also had nothing to do with Gundy’s success, what my expectations are for OSU, or OSU’s success as a whole. Just an interesting general stat across the landscape of college football that shows no one really ever has a chance at winning conference titles when it comes down to it because of those 4 schools. That’s not an opinion, that’s based on what’s actually occurring season after season.

Can’t beat mediocre teams like TCU and barely wins against K-State which is mediocre this season. Expect an L vs Baylor on Saturday too, and they’re mediocre too. He doesn’t get it, the pointer needs to be directly at HIM! Too dang stubborn.

Doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with the game plans and playcalling. A high school QB could show him how predictable our route tree is as well as playcalling and how we try to attack defenses. You do no favors for your QB or your stud WR and RB nor the inexperienced O-line with those very predictable plays.

With Gundy not doing much different since the pistol was instituted, uh, duh! Boone’s gazillions leveled the playing field and a good coach would easily make us a Top 15 program, are you that cynical?

I don’t think Mike has the hunger anymore, he’s rich since flirting w/ Tennessee to get more money out of Holder. By almost all of our standards he was rich even before then…he needs to resign if he really cares about his/our alma mater.

“Easily”? Are you that biased?

Nope, just knowledgeable enough to know we’ve long had the players but not the coaches to make it happen. You probably one of those who thought Les Miles was gonna bring Kansas back, hah hah.