Mike Gundy on Extending Jim Knowles, Team Evolution and More With Joel Klatt

So everyone here agrees Jim Knowles should get an extension based on the results of the defense improving every year. Yet, here you are saying that we should just let, possibly, the best DC in the Gundy era walk?

Do you see where I’m going here? You have such a hate and disdain for anyone that gets praised more than Gundy that your willing to let a good thing get away. If it weren’t for Knowles defense this team wouldn’t be anywhere close to 9-1. When we had to rely on offense in 2017 we still found a way to get 3rd.

All I’m saying is that it’s a valid argument to assume Knowles doesn’t need 11-12 defensive commits during this recruiting cycle. That’s why you still have the JUCO ranks and the transfer portal where nobody has to sit for a year.

Over the past couple of seasons we’ve gotten guys on defense from Clemson and Wake Forest. Those players will be there after this season in the transfer portal, and given the way Knowles is developing defensive players and showing defensive players across the country they could have an impact at OSU, it isn’t crazy to think he could grab 4 or 5 guys from the transfer portal, and for all we know he could already be in contact with them.

I guess you don’t know what research means?

Heartland did an article about u joey the gundy hater.
Joey if u have 12 guy coming in u hope by the time they leave most would have played. When u have 5 u will have to have all of them to play.
Not being good, home sick, grades, law, all sort of reason a class of 5 will not provide any players.
Sure u can pick up juco and tranfer.

Guys like Holmes and Martin were nice pick ups but not better then what we " home gone". If it weren’t for super senior they won’t have really done much.
U can go and chase ur tail.
Wer have 3 scholarships left but I think the may go for a linebacker and a running back also a corner back.
How well they see kids come up will be. If we dnt go that way and get 3 more d guys that great.

Nobody said his defense next year would be as good as this year. It’s tough to replace a defense that looks as historic as this one. How is it Knowles fault that he happens to already have an abundance of defensive players, and may not need more? If anything it tells me he’s doing his job and already filled the defensive need or he’s going to hit the transfer portal.

You’ve gone completely off topic here (which you always do). The main point is if he already has his roster and positional needs filled then just because he has 5 commits doesn’t mean he’s leaving.

What in the hell do you not understand about that? There are still some players on this defense that even after the super seniors leave have played plenty and have experience. Will they be as good next year? I don’t know, maybe not. Maybe the defense will be fine. That remains to be seen.

Your trying to equate 5 commits to maintaining a great defense when there is a possibility Knowles doesn’t need to have that many commits this year. It doesn’t mean he sucks or the defense is going to be bad.

I look at it this way. I’d rather get 1st or 2nd with an average offense, and great defense with some bedlam victories. Rather than a crap defense with a great offense with multiple bedlam losses.

U really dnt understand anything. General speaking the freshman don’t start.
The problem with low number of recruits is in up coming years. When aj green was a freshman we had alot of freshman playing. Not because they were overly good but because of poor numbers prior to them coming.
U just dnt want to depend on getting portal guys down the road. Both ou and ksu got guy thought to be great portal pick ups. But, they didn’t really improve them.
This isn’t basketball. Ideally u would have a class filling in depth chart. We got 20 guys with 3 to 6 years of experience. We’re not always going to get that extra year. So small class cost in the end.
So just keep repeating what ever bs ur selling.

Nobody said the Freshman would start, but we have one that’s probably going to be a freshman all-American.

Nobody said he was just going to depend on portal guys. Why do you think I mentioned he may already have the positions filled? If so, there is no reason to worry about 5 commits.

It’s not BS I’m selling. It’s common sense, Robert. If Knowles already has enough people to fill his roster and positions there isn’t necessarily an additional need. If most of the roster is filled with freshmen and sophomores on the defensive side of the ball then it’s not going to kill depth on the defensive side of the ball.

What you should be worried about is if he has multiple year’s of this happening. Instead, you focus on one year.

Ur still slow on the up take a class of 5 doesn’t mean 5 will get on the depth chart.
When this class get to jr and sr. Only have 2 guys playing. How will this work out to “fill the roster”.
Even if all 5 make it ur going to have to depend more and more on other classes and portal. Even u can understand this Joey. We had like 12 on 21’ class lost one to the offense.
Just like u dnt understand we have to have guys go in the portal to keep numbers down to 85 so to have 25 scholarships.

When you already have a chitload of defensive players on the team you don’t need to freak out. The recruiting period is also not over. If I’m not mistaken we’ve just signed a couple of defensive recruits over the last couple of weeks. So…why do you hate Jim Knowles so much?

U are mistaken in alot of ways. We have a chit load of defensive players this year not 4 years from now.
We haven’t signed any players.
We have had do defensive commits either.
We had a preferred walkon( which I like) and one other decommit from Baylor but hasn’t commit to us.Then we got one for 23’.

Go look at the roster https://okstate.com/sports/football/roster

I know counting can sometimes be difficult for you, but you can at least try.

1 Like

us. Is ur problem Joey.
U are so head set to be rite, reality just never applies.
Ur showing me a roster of this year. What does 22’ recruiting class have to do with this roster. 50 of those kids are walkon. Most will not be hear next year.
So me the roster 3 four years from know.
It’s really simple if u need 10 Rick’s of wood to heat ur house but u have 5 what will happen
This class so far is not a good one in multiple ways.
Good they dunn got 5 4 stars on the other side so we can go back to out scoring people.

43 of the 67 are freshman or sophomores. I understand some of these are walk-ons. There is no shortage of defensive players. We’ll be fine so stop freaking out.

You’re under the impression that every player on that roster is going to leave. A few might, but it’s not going to be a mass exodus. Jim Knowles knows what he’s doing.

Also, (for the second time) the recruiting period isn’t over. Stop freaking out.

So…why do you hate Jim Knowles?

1 Like

When was it OK to have 3 stars and walkons.
Who r u kidding.

It’s okay when you have a coach that develops them, and creates improved and sustainable game plans for them.

As long as the coach is not dunn or gundy.
Did u look up the article from heartland about gundy haters.

It’s fine if the coach is Dunn or Gundy. As long as they have some kind of balls, and aren’t scared to death run something different than the normal scheme once a team figures out how to stop it.

1 Like

I think he’s worth $2 million a year. An elite defense - which is what he’s built, with great depth, with him in charge the younger players have already shown they can play and have gotten lots of playing time. Next year’s D will be strong. Have some of the players go high in the draft - that really helps draw the up-and-coming high school players. It makes you nationally relevant every year if you’re in a power 5 conference. Offense might win championships, but defense gets you in the discussion. With Knowles in charge of the D, you can count on being ranked in the top 25 to start the year. It does up the ante on expectations though too.

3 Likes

Well we would definitely not loss him for 2 mill.
U do understand that how good and deep we our has to donwith super seniors.
I would like to think we could pull better players. Desean brown won’t commit because he is still wanting for an ou offer. We did already pick up a nice 23’ defender.
This class having 5 so far is not good no matter how u look at it. I not overly excited by our lb and cb we’ve recruited. It would be nice to get the brother of black and the cousin of Mohamad. Both cb coming up.

We were a top defense last year without all the super seniors. Not top 3 but top 25 easily. Like I said I don’t know why you care that guy gets paid a lot since your money isn’t going towards it.

The last 4 games our defense was not as good.
What stats were we a top 25 team if I remember Joey had stats we were 34.
I guess what I should ask is how much are u asking for. So far only 2 people have given numbers.
By give him a contact that is big by its self. One guy wants to give him 100k another 2 mill.

I do believe he is suppose to be making 1mill. With cuts I think it was 800k. So give him a contract and 1.2 mill.