Mike Gundy Says OSU ‘Might Even Play Both’ QBs Moving Forward

I mean, he threw for 4,000 yards on 65% completion percentage and a 3.6 to 1 TD/INT ratio basically as a career backup, which isn’t too shabby. I don’t think sanders is as bad as some are saying, but Walsh isn’t as bad as you are saying either. Sanders is definitely the better passer of the two, but to this point Walsh was much smarter than sanders. Then again, that could change with more reps Sanders sees. I think people constantly like to live in the moment, and the latest they remember is a good game by a freshman against the worst defense in the United States, and two injuries to sanders, so their heads are telling them that Sanders is a bad player. I still think he’s the better choice of the two right now. The only way that would be untrue would be if he hasn’t mentally progressed at all in the past year, and if that ends up being true then he deserves to be benched. I don’t think that’ll be the case though.

The problem is not which qb, but a coach that thinks you use 3rd downs to set up field goals instead of thinking two downs to score touchdowns.

Sanders/Illingworth are sophomore/freshman and will be again next year. What has Spencer Sanders done to convince you that he can hold off one of the top QB recruits in America for the next 2.5 seasons? Do you really think Illingworth came here to sit on the bench for that long? No way.

Like Sanders, JW was a mediocre college QB. Who cares who was better? The fact that it is a close call tells me all I need to know about Sanders. JW is remembered fondly because of his toughness, team first attitude, and big plays in spot duty.

He made good decisions. Just had very poor arm strength and average at best accuracy. I’m not saying he was a bad qb. I’m saying he wasn’t as good as Sanders is now is all. Most of you are picturing Walsh as an upperclassman as well and trying to compare that memory of him to sanders as an underclassman. That’s more a fair comparison either. We’ve had one season with Sanders. He had some amazing games as well. Just saying give him a chance and I think your will be surprised if not impressed. Yes illingworth is a top recruit, but so was Sanders. Way to early to call for his replacement when neither qb has really done anything to merit one. I mean, he beat kansas so let’s just pump the brakes a bit on him.

That’s all fair. Also, for some reason OSU let sanders air it out in game 1 at oregon state last year and he was torching them, then basically didn’t let him throw more than 20 passes in a single game the rest of the season. Then again, it’s hard to call a pass play when your RB is going for 200+ every week lol. Walsh had the luxury of a pass-happy OC coaching him, and I feel like schemes have really changed a lot in recent years. Gundy would run his backs into a brick wall continually until their ears were bleeding if he could, he’s not as interested in throwing the ball 30+ times a game anymore. I agree that Sanders is the better passer out of him and Walsh, he just lacks the mental advancements that Walsh had. If this “Our Time” series is any indication, it seems like he’s working overtime to correct that. I’m hoping we see it tomorrow. And as for the Sanders / Shane thing, I’m with ya 100%. Shane has been great in place of Sanders, but you still have to go with Spence until he proves otherwise. He has just as capable of an arm and all of the running ability.

1 Like