Mike Holder to Retire, Chad Weiberg to Take Over as OSU's Athletic Director

Holder transformed the future of oSu athletics after a HOF coaching career. The legacy is the definition of riding for the brand and IMO the greatest overall Cowboy. Thank you for your service.

5 Likes

If ur going off % u do know tous has more sports

Iā€™m not looking at %. Are you saying if we give Gundy the money tOSU spends, he can have the number 2 recruiting class in the country? Thatā€™s what tOSU did.

Since they are a blue blood we have to spend and do twice as much to catch up. Or get rid of bad fans like ar0

Bonuses and renegotiations are a thing.

Missed your 2nd response sorry. They can give bonuses, renegotiations or extensions without giving him some lucrative long-term contract. If they keep him on a rookie salary (highly doubt they do) there will be bud loads of schools coming for him in a hurry.

No, we wouldnā€™t recruit as well, though they are spending 30% more than we are. They have tradition and national championships, theyā€™re a nationwide brand, they have excellent facilities, theyā€™re in a more populated area close to metropolitan areas. We arenā€™t often going after the same recruits, but more importantly, OU and Texas have bigger brands and are outspending us on recruitment.

If we spent as much as Ohio State, we would get a bump. I think we could probably get within the top 15-20, but we canā€™t change our tradition or our brand overnight. We canā€™t change our location at all. We do have competitive facilities. Money and the things money can buy are things we can change. Ohio State makes more money than we do, so we probably canā€™t match their spending, but then donā€™t be surprised if we donā€™t recruit as well as a school like Arkansas who outspends us.

Well I doubt any pay raises happen this year. I will say if he can follow up with something close next year Iā€™m for it.

People love to leave this out. Sometimes not getting a bunch of 4 and 5 stars means more than just ā€œnot going after themā€ like people say with Gundy. We have nice facilities but thereā€™s a ton of schools that have a lot more resources than he does, while some people think he has the world at his disposal. I have no issues with his recruiting style and he obviously sees tons of potential in guys that other schools donā€™t, Iā€™m more worried about his game preparation.

3 Likes

Not to mention Ohio is 4x the size of oklahoma and their the only dog in the hunt

Letā€™s take all money out of the equation, and pretend tOSU and OSU have zero dollars in hand. Which school does a recruit likely go to if his options are here or Columbus?

Now add in the money advantage tOSU has over us and the tall mountain to climb gets taller.

1 Like

Not being a smartass or giving Gundy a pass, itā€™s just really tough to pitch that. In a lot of cases thatā€™s on Gundy & the coaches, but sometimes I think recruits donā€™t realize how close the schools truly are in that aspect. They want the attention and amenities that come with blue blood schools over a decent but not awesome school in the middle of endless miles of cornfields. Most of them know nothing about how great Stillwater can be, especially with no campus visits allowed.

2 Likes

Not to mention I think they have five commitments in the top 100 from Ohio alone this year

1 Like

More excuses! Yā€™all cry the reason Gundy canā€™t recruit is we have the lowest recruiting budget in the conference. Well in 2018 we didnā€™t and in fact had the 29th highest in the country but did Gundy have the 29th highest recruiting class?

1 Like

Ar0 ur getting confused with all these people on u. I never have brought up budget. I have have committed on u bring up . But never brought up budget.
But nice way to try and defer with ur own excuses

Why arenā€™t u using 2020. There has to be a reason ur always cherry picking

tomg, you seem to be the only sane voice here. The topic is Mike Holder and the wonderful legacy he has left all of us! Nowhere in the article,or in all of this discussion, did anyone mention the incredible job he did with the addition of Karsten Creek. The Sanders statue may be next, but the Holder one shouldnā€™t be far behind!

2 Likes

I agree we need a little more funding. Since the coach canā€™t help us win games weā€™ll need better recruits to overcome the coaching flaws.

You are absolutely correct about holder. Unfortunately his work is behide the scene and their are some who hate gundy. So, all articles tend to drift to gundy.:upside_down_face::rofl::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::innocent::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::crazy_face::money_mouth_face::cowboy_hat_face:

Lol